[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Hope this lasts until the G3 comes out. Had to buy my S4 off contract. Don't want to do that again :)

I dwelled over the same thing. The G3 looks great and have a lot of very promising features...however, I didn't want to risk Best Buy updating their online order process to close the plan glitch between now and the 5 weeks before the G3 gets released. Also, the thought of getting two G2s for a little over $2 vs. the possibility of paying $400-$600 for a pair of G3s helped the decision a bit. Good luck...I hope the wait works out in your favor.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Yes you will need a 4g lte SIM card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you call Verizon and tell them you bought a used phone on eBay and need a 4G SIM chip for it?

Posted via Android Central App

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

I dwelled over the same thing. The G3 looks great and have a lot of very promising features...however, I didn't want to risk Best Buy updating their online order process to close the plan glitch between now and the 5 weeks before the G3 gets released. Also, the thought of getting two G2s for a little over $2 vs. the possibility of paying $400-$600 for a pair of G3s helped the decision a bit. Good luck...I hope the wait works out in your favor.

I hope so too. I am currently on S4 and am pretty happy, but S5 doesn't appeal to me since it's so locked down. I will wait and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

e_things4you

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site

Got S5 from BB yesterday. Took out new sim b4 I even put battery in and put my old sim in (from droid 4). Workin great so far. Checked my account and it says I have UDP and contract renewed till 2016. Thanx 4 all ur help.

kygunner01

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Thanks for the follow up,

If it is a clean SIM like I suspect it is you can just use it to activate on your UDP if you want. If it is already associated it would be associated with your dumb phone line and worse that can happen is it says you can't use it, it's associated with another number.

I agree that it likely would not have cancelled my UDP...but if it was preassigned to the dumb line, the moment I turned on the phone, if I'm not mistaken, it would have activated the phone to the dumb line meaning I would have had to deactivate and reactivate on the primary line....All extra steps that could have at some point involved VZW reps. Also, in my case it would have activated the tiered data on the basic line. I know this would fall off once the basic phone was reactivated but i'm sure VZW would find some way of throwing in prorated charges. Thanks for all the advice you and others have provided.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site

Hello there people and thank you all for the great info that you guys are sharing. I have been lurking in this forum for a while and reading the posts to make sure I don't lose my UDP. I have a question specific to my situations:

3 Phones: Droid Razr Maxx, and two basic flip phones (All the phones are up for upgrade as of today). We have a Nationwide Talk Share 700 mins plan with the UDP for my Razr only. My parents want to cancel their lines and switch to T-Mobile, and I'll be the only one with Verizon. The question is, should I do the BB order on my line before they ditch Verizon or after? ( I am the account holder). I am worried that by them cancelling their lines, an update to my account will occur and will result in losing my UDP.

Any input is appreciated, thank you guys in advance! :)

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Hello there people and thank you all for the great info that you guys are sharing. I have been lurking in this forum for a while and reading the posts to make sure I don't lose my UDP. I have a question specific to my situations:

3 Phones: Droid Razr Maxx, and two basic flip phones (All the phones are up for upgrade as of today). We have a Nationwide Talk Share 700 mins plan with the UDP for my Razr only. My parents want to cancel their lines and switch to T-Mobile, and I'll be the only one with Verizon. The question is, should I do the BB order on my line before they ditch Verizon or after? ( I am the account holder). I am worried that by them cancelling their lines, an update to my account will occur and will result in losing my UDP.

Any input is appreciated, thank you guys in advance! :)

You won't lose your unlimited plan. It will be converted to an individual account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikersc

May 5, 2014
Visit site

The only problem I have read about in not using the new sim is not being able to use the isis mobile wallet feature...no biggie for me.

There are two free solutions to this problem. One, go to a Verizon Corporate Store and ask for an NFC Sim for your phone. They may require that you provide the phone so that they can insert the Sim and activate or they may just hand you the Sim. Either way, the Sim should be free of charge. Since I am a bit mistrusting of the stores, I used the solution where I called Verizon and requested an NFC Sim for my phone. They will ship you one free of charge with instructions for on-line activation that only takes a few minutes and you are up and running with an NFC Sim.

The non-free solution to this problem is to purchase the NFC Sim from eBay or a Verizon retailer (non-Corporate Store). If you use this method, I am not sure how to activate the Sim without calling Verizon or visiting the store but there may be an on-line method.

FDtruckman

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Bestbuy Mobile Lets me Keep Unlimited Data?

If anybody ordered the S5 from Best Buy at $149, it's on sale now for $99. 15 days is the limit for a price match, I just made it to the day. Called in and $50 will be credited to my card. The Best Buy phone number is 1-888-237-8289.

kygunner01

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

ask for an NFC Sim for your phone

Could you please educate me on the difference between the sim I used in the galaxy nexus and the sim intended for the S5. Both phones use NFC so I'm not sure I fully understand the difference between the two or why it is even necessary to switch them.

Obviously this is probably not the correct thread for me to ask this in but since we are on the subject and it is somewhat related to the keeping your unlimited data experience....

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

That figures, I just bought it Friday night, going to wait to see if my unlimited remains before I call. My order hasn't changed from 'order in process'.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Could you please educate me on the difference between the sim I used in the galaxy nexus and the sim intended for the S5. Both phones use NFC so I'm not sure I fully understand the difference between the two or why it is even necessary to switch them.

Obviously this is probably not the correct thread for me to ask this in but since we are on the subject and it is somewhat related to the keeping your unlimited data experience....

Verizon has participates in ISIS payment system which uses an NFC chip in their SIM. If you want to use that you need the SIM in the chip. For other payment systems like Google Wallet you use the phones NFC chip. The Verizon solution does let phones that don't have NFC become NFC capable. If you don't plan on using ISIS you don't need it and won't gain anything by getting it.

kmag320

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I am in the process of ordering on the HTC site. It says I am keeping my existing plan yet it says that there is no unlimited plan anymore and it will be changed. So which is it, do I still get to keep unlimited data?

MrPib

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

FDtruckman; said:
15 days is the limit for a price match, I just made it to the day. Called in and $50 will be credited to my card. The Best Buy phone number is 1-888-237-8289.
I tried this when my $50 GS4 from two weeks ago dropped to $1 last week. The CSR put in the price correction request, but I never got it. Called back, and they told me that it was rejected, since they don't price-match contract renewal phones.

I was told that I could go into a store and return/rebuy. I said that I'd already set up the phone, and was told that I could keep the same phone. I was assured that it wouldn't affect my Verizon contract as well.

I decided to not risk losing my ULD, which is worth a lot more than $50 to me. Besides, I was quite happy getting a GS4, which is an *awesome* phone, for $50 when I ordered it.

Please let be know if you wind up getting the credit. Maybe I'll try calling in again.

wekurtz74

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

I figured out my sign in issue. I just placed an order and everything said "Keep existing plan". The wait begins with the worrying about my data...

I am having the same issues as this. Trying on two different days, two different computers, two different locations and no resolution. How did you solve this?

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

They want you to use the billing password. Not the one from their website. The password I use when calling them. cnotes2019 told me about this.
I am having the same issues as this. Trying on two different days, two different computers, two different locations and no resolution. How did you solve this?

hikersc

May 5, 2014
Visit site

Verizon has participates in ISIS payment system which uses an NFC chip in their SIM. If you want to use that you need the SIM in the chip. For other payment systems like Google Wallet you use the phones NFC chip. The Verizon solution does let phones that don't have NFC become NFC capable. If you don't plan on using ISIS you don't need it and won't gain anything by getting it.

The NFC chip and capability is build into some of the newer phones and other devices (Motorola Droid Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S5, the new Nexus 7, etc. The Sim has nothing to do with this functionality and these devices can use NFC without the Sim being installed for sharing photos, contacts, and other info. Likewise, an NFC Sim has no chip and will not add NFC functionality to a device without NFC build into the device. In the case of ISIS Wallet, an NFC Sim is required to allow certain security features to be associated (and programmed into) the Sim card. Google wallet does not use those same security features and, therefore, does not require a NFC Sim. That said, the only difference between a NFC Sim and non-NFC Sim is some special programming in the memory (non-volatile) of the Sim that will allow ISIS wallet to work.

As a side note, if you attempt to use a new, non-NFC Sim by using the on-line activation tool (where you provide the Sim number), it will tell you that the Sim is not compatible with the NFC phone and will ask you if you would like to be sent a new Sim that is compatible. I learned this lesson the hard way. It appears that an "active" Sim can be inserted and will function, none the less, except for ISIS wallet.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

The NFC chip and capability is build into some of the newer phones and other devices (Motorola Droid Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S5, the new Nexus 7, etc. The Sim has nothing to do with this functionality and these devices can use NFC without the Sim being installed for sharing photos, contacts, and other info. Likewise, an NFC Sim has no chip and will not add NFC functionality to a device without NFC build into the device. In the case of ISIS Wallet, an NFC Sim is required to allow certain security features to be associated (and programmed into) the Sim card. Google wallet does not use those same security features and, therefore, does not require a NFC Sim. That said, the only difference between a NFC Sim and non-NFC Sim is some special programming in the memory (non-volatile) of the Sim that will allow ISIS wallet to work.

As a side note, if you attempt to use a new, non-NFC Sim by using the on-line activation tool (where you provide the Sim number), it will tell you that the Sim is not compatible with the NFC phone and will ask you if you would like to be sent a new Sim that is compatible. I learned this lesson the hard way. It appears that an "active" Sim can be inserted and will function, none the less, except for ISIS wallet.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I though the SIM actually had NFC in it.

wekurtz74

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

They want you to use the billing password. Not the one from their website. The password I use when calling them. cnotes2019 told me about this.

That was the trick. Thank you very much. Don't understand why they need so many different levels of password, but hey......as long as we can get in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe