[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

tyger

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Just to make sure I understand correctly and do this whole process right....

Line 1 Upgrade Available + UDP (wants Galaxy S5)
Line 2 Upgrade Available + UDP (wants iPhone 5S)

Currently on the NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 1400 plan from Verizon.

Using FlyingArrow's method mentioned here. I should use the upgrade on line 1 and order the iPhone 5S and use the upgrade on line 2 for the Galaxy S5 from Best Buy.com, keep existing plan, etc. When I receive the phones, I shouldn't have to worry about the sim card? I can activate on Verizon's website as a new phone for each line? Line 1 --> Galaxy S5 Line 2 --> iPhone 5S Or do the old sim cards swap in each of the new phones before power on?

On Best Buy's website, I have to do a separate transaction/check out to upgrade each line correct?

In doing this, it should extend my contract to 2016 and keep my UDP correct?

Any help appreciated.

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Yeah I have been doing that (checking the website). I may have done something awesome or something will be discovered by verizon and bite me in the ***. I didn't have an upgrade available until 07/06/2014. I switched the upgrade date of my sister's acct to mine on the BB site. Went through everything normally and got phone at sub price. Got phone, activated with my old sim card and still have same plan with UDP and still after 5 days my contract end date is 07/06/14 and my sister is still month to month. Interestingly it appears verizon thinks i bought the phone at regular price? Curious to hear what y'all think.
If you are looking at the My Verzion app on the phone itself, dont...log in to the website and check...

Its been almost a week since I did the move and the phone app still sez month-to-month, but the website was updated almost immediately...

wad2k

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

I got the same email..after calling they said there was a problem with preactivation. And wanted to just verify verizon stuff...I cancelled...I don't want to risk losing udp..might try again in a couple days...was I being paranoid?

keyworker

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Small update. It's almost been two months and my upgraded lines are still unlimited. I was never charged the $35 upgrade fee on either line, which is awesome. Thanks again.

jdwx

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Re: Bestbuy Mobile Lets me Keep Unlimited Data?

If anybody ordered the S5 from Best Buy at $149, it's on sale now for $99. 15 days is the limit for a price match, I just made it to the day. Called in and $50 will be credited to my card. The Best Buy phone number is 1-888-237-8289.

Good call!!! I just bought on May 30th, rang up BB and they are crediting me the 50 difference on my Note 3! (on sale from $249 down to $199)Thank you for the heads up sir!

mgrillo586

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

It works! Got my sim cutter today. Cut my Droid RAZR sim, put in the HTC One M8, and it works. Thanks to everyone on this thread. I hope everyone took advantage of the $99 sale on HTC website while it lasted.

forem101

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

Trying to upgrade my s3 to an s5 through this method to keep my UDP and everything seems to be fine in the ordering process until you get to the "services" section.. It says "This device requires a data plan. Please select one:" ... you then select Network Access Fee
Line Access Fee No change

however there is a disclaimer when you click "Line Access Fee" ...

"Your plan won't change if you´re upgrading your phone and already have a compatible data plan. However, if you're currently on an unlimited data plan, it will be switched to 2GB when you upgrade because Verizon Wireless has ended its unlimited data plan option."

Will I be okay if I order it still and use my old SIM card? I really dont want to loose my UDP...

mistaw35

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Thank you so much guys!!!! I received my m8 around noon today and went to a cellphone shop to get my micro sim cut into nano sim. Would you believe that they wanted to charge $15 to cut it and then said that it was a good chance that it might break and that they wouldn't be responsible. So I went home and watched a few vids on youtube and cut it myself with a pair of scissors. Everything worked out fine and my udp is still intact.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I think I just kept unlimited data on two simultaneous upgrades. No extra line needed. No trip to Best Buy. No cutting SIM cards. Not even picking up new SIM cards.

Online, I went through with normal upgrades on both lines, requesting a Droid MAXX and an HTC One M8. I upgraded both separately so that I wasn't forced to enroll in Share Everything. Instead, both numbers stayed on the Nationwide plan. I did have to mark a 2GB line for each upgrade when getting the phones, seeming like I'd lose unlimited. The phones arrived today. I had requested the phone I want on her line and the phone she wanted on my line. Then I activated them online but put them on the opposite lines from how I ordered them. I treated them as if they were any phone I picked up from a 3rd party. The SIM cards that came with the phones worked fine during activation - I didn't have to get new ones. Both phones are now working and My Verizon still says I have unlimited data. The contracts have been extended 2 years. Unless there's something that is going to time out and turn off the unlimited data in the next week or two, that appears to have worked.

I did this based on the suggestion of one helpful Verizon rep on the phone. I tried calling many other times to get confirmation and possibly have someone walk me through it, but everybody else I talked to in chat or on the phone said I had to buy full retail.

Oh - there was one slightly tricky part. When I went to activate the phones, it defaults to ask if I want to activate the new phone they shipped me. There's a link to instead go to another page where you can activate a different phone. It's a sentence at the end of the paragraph - not a large button or anything like that, so it might be easy to overlook. Then choose the radio button to activate a phone that you haven't had on that number previously.

Just to make sure I understand correctly and do this whole process right....

Line 1 Upgrade Available + UDP (wants Galaxy S5)
Line 2 Upgrade Available + UDP (wants iPhone 5S)

Currently on the NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 1400 plan from Verizon.

Using FlyingArrow's method mentioned here. I should use the upgrade on line 1 and order the iPhone 5S and use the upgrade on line 2 for the Galaxy S5 from Best Buy.com, keep existing plan, etc. When I receive the phones, I shouldn't have to worry about the sim card? I can activate on Verizon's website as a new phone for each line? Line 1 --> Galaxy S5 Line 2 --> iPhone 5S Or do the old sim cards swap in each of the new phones before power on?

On Best Buy's website, I have to do a separate transaction/check out to upgrade each line correct?

In doing this, it should extend my contract to 2016 and keep my UDP correct?

Any help appreciated.

From FlyingArrow's description sounds like they did it through Verizon because them mentioned they talked to the Verizon rep on the phone. So I'm not sure it would work the same way with Best Buy. I'd suspect the SIM from Best Buy is different because they already are associated with the line because people trying the Best Buy method have reported losing UDP by just inserting the SIM that came with the Phone and powering up. At least with the method FlyingArrow described the phones gave them a chance to select which line they wanted to associate the Phone & SIM with. If going with Best Buy I'd recommend using the old SIM that are associated with the line you wan't to activate the phone on. So take your old Line 1 SIM and put it in the Galaxy S5 that you ordered from Line 2 and take the old Line 2 SIM and put it in the iPhone 5S that you ordered from Line 1. If the SIM's aren't compatible probably best to order through Verizon as FlyingArrow described. Perhaps FlyingArrow can give us a little more detail of which SIM they used for which new phone. Did they use the SIM that came with the respective phones or used the SIM from the opposite phone from which it came.

mistaw35

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Trying to upgrade my s3 to an s5 through this method to keep my UDP and everything seems to be fine in the ordering process until you get to the "services" section.. It says "This device requires a data plan. Please select one:" ... you then select Network Access Fee
Line Access Fee No change

however there is a disclaimer when you click "Line Access Fee" ...

"Your plan won't change if you´re upgrading your phone and already have a compatible data plan. However, if you're currently on an unlimited data plan, it will be switched to 2GB when you upgrade because Verizon Wireless has ended its unlimited data plan option."

Will I be okay if I order it still and use my old SIM card? I really dont want to loose my UDP...

Yes.. I just did it

rlhammon

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Used the SIM cutter from the Amazon link here in the thread, and cut my Galaxy Nexus SIM down to M8 size. I needed to sand it quite a bit, but just took my time and smoothed the edges (and cleaned off all the dust) until it slid into the drawer just fine.

Booted up... and check my account on Verizon's website... contract has been extended two years and UDP is still showing. M8 is currently updating everything from my Google account.

Thanks so much for all the information here, and the link to the HTC site. I was able to get the M8 for the $99 and keep my UDP, can't ask for more than that!

So bad form to quote your own post... but I got a shipping notice from Best Buy an hour ago. Not sure what the voicemail today was about then from BB... but things are looking better. I'll have the phone tomorrow, and got my SIM cutter from Amazon tonight.

lifeisequal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I attempted this last night ordering a galaxy s5. I have a family plan with both phones having unlimited data. The main line processed fine, it's being shipped at the moment. I did not notice in the thread that you need to do the upgrade for the second phone via a transfer to the main line. So, it was flagged for me to call best buy. I didn't. I then saw a post stating to transfer the upgrade and tried that. It was several hours before I got the same email. I have cancelled both of the orders with best buy and have received credit to my bank account. I assume now that I just have to wait on verizon to show the ability to upgrade on my account. Right now it still says discount in 2016.

If someone could clear up the correct way to get the upgrade for my second line I'd be very grateful. I'm assuming I should have waited until I received the phone for my main line and had it active before proceeding to transfer the upgrade and place a second order. Would I have to switch the s5 that I ordered first over to the second line before activating the other s5 on the main line? Hopefully I haven't screwed myself too much.

Last edited:

kmag320

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Rlhammon- I just got the M8 tonight and was wondering if yours came with the Ejector Tray Tool? Mine did not but it talks about it in the manual.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Small update. It's almost been two months and my upgraded lines are still unlimited. I was never charged the $35 upgrade fee on either line, which is awesome. Thanks again.

Glad to hear this method still works :)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Mine is "Out For Delivery" !!! This better work:confused:

wekurtz74

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

No
I attempted this last night ordering a galaxy s5. I have a family plan with both phones having unlimited data. The main line processed fine, it's being shipped at the moment. I did not notice in the thread that you need to do the upgrade for the second phone via a transfer to the main line. So, it was flagged for me to call best buy. I didn't. I then saw a post stating to transfer the upgrade and tried that. It was several hours before I got the same email. I have cancelled both of the orders with best buy and have received credit to my bank account. I assume now that I just have to wait on verizon to show the ability to upgrade on my account. Right now it still says discount in 2016.

If someone could clear up the correct way to get the upgrade for my second line I'd be very grateful. I'm assuming I should have waited until I received the phone for my main line and had it active before proceeding to transfer the upgrade and place a second order. Would I have to switch the s5 that I ordered first over to the second line before activating the other s5 on the main line? Hopefully I haven't screwed myself too much.

OK, I am really messing this thing up good. I did the same thing you did -- Somehow I missed the whole "primary line" thing, and ordered it on a secondary line. However, the phone has shipped, and I have not gotten any email or anything telling me there is an issue. Is this the only issue with the secondary line concern -- the "there is a problem" email from BB? Am I missing anything? If I get the phone (set for Thursday delivery) and I don't get any emails or phone calls telling me there is a "red flag" is it safe to activate the phone as per the method set out in this thread? I believe I read that Mr. Pib did it this way on page 44 of this thread, but can anyone speak to this issue with experience? Thanks and advance and sorry of this is a thread-cluttering post.

Edit: forgive my ignorance. Looking even more through the forum, I see that the second account having account manager status seems to alleviate the secondary line issue. If I am wrong please correct me, but that seems to be the best answer I have found. Thanks

Last edited:

Jukii05

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

Ditto keyworker. I did this back in April and I still have my UDP and I haven't been charged an upgrade fee.

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site

Thoughts on this anyone? Is it just a Best Buy thing??
Can this be done through amazon?? The M8 is $99.
contract.png

Last edited:

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

12 hours after activating new s5 with my old sim card and Verizon website still shows my plan as unlimited, just with the new s5 instead of my razr maxx. Will check it daily to see if it changes. For those that are wondering, I ordered the phone on the secondary UDP line and not the main line. So far it appears to have worked. I know that people, including myself, wondered if this method would work on the secondary line or only primary. I never received an email asking me to call or that there was a problem with the order. Ordered phone Friday night and received on Tuesday.

tyger

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

So I wonder if just purchasing through Best Buy and using the old sim cards would be easier? If I do purchase through Best Buy, you have to do two separate transactions on the Best Buy website correct?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
triplacey