[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

beavermjr

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I try to buy a phone from bestbuy.com I'm told that my type of account can't be upgraded online and that I need to visit a store to get help.

I have a single line with nationwide 450 minutes, unlimited text and data.

why can't I buy a new phone for my account?

Mike

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

My new phone has no card. I used your idea and just uploaded the texts to google drive and got them on the new phone that way. Thanks
Download and Use Sms backup & restore app from old RAZR maxxx. Back it up to men card. Transfer to new phone. Download app again and restore it from mem card.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

asking for guidance and to make sure I'm doing this right.
line 1 udp no upgrade s5
line 2 udp no upgrade iphone 4
line 3 udp upgrade eligible galaxy nexus
line 4 dumb phone no upgrade

Through verizon I transferred upgrade from line 3 to dumb phone line and ordered i phone 5 accepting 2 gb plan. Not realizing that galaxy nexus had sim card I ordered a new nano sim card from verizon for iphone 5 for galaxy nexus(line 3) saying I would be buying phone from friend. Got sim card put in the newly delivered iphone 5. Now it tells me the phone must be activated . How do I proceed? I assumed that all I had to do was put the nano sim card into Iphone 5 and line 3 would function with udp.

TIA
Daily4x4

Go to the website and activate the phone on line 3 and select new phone not on your account before. It will ask you for the MEID number for the phone and the number on the SIM and then should activate on line 3.

DroidnewVZ

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

So I just bought a new S5 unactivated From Verizon. I burned an upgrade for another line. If I just activate it on the Unlimited line with my old SIM card, im good to go, right?

Posted via Android Central App

tippin187

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

The second order I put in also got the "there's a problem" email

Called and cancelled that one as we'll.

This time I put in an order for the iPhone 5S...

I'm on a single line nationwide talk and text 450 plan with unlimited text and data

This line was also recently split from a family plan.. Idk if that has something to do with these problem emails or not.

Jon Anger

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

Got my s5 and plugged in my SIM card from my Razr Maxx and still rocking the UDP!. This is great. lol.

***QUESTION ABOUT TETHERING***
I used my Razr to tether to my PC for internet obviously. I can still tether with my S5 but now I am getting random disconnects with PDA net + that I didn't get before with my Razr. Anyone know if this and S5 issue, a KK issue or some other type of problem? It just randomly loses connection, not data wise but like it has been physically unplugged from my PC. Other times it will take a long time to load a page to which it loses connection data wise and then when it comes back its really really slow even though in PDA net it shows it connected a good speed. The speed it connected at normally. Any info or a link to some info would be great. Thanks guys and I hope everyone reading this gets to keep their UDP as well.

DroidnewVZ

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

I should have elaborated more with my last post....

I upgraded a 2gb line on my plan. I did it IN store and they gave me the phone un-activated because it was a "gift" for the person who's line it was. If I simply take this now and put my SIM card in, will it work for me or cause problems. I'm sitting here with the phone, I just don't want to take the next step without some more information.

**Do I have to activate it on another line before deactivating and reactivating on mine, or can I just activate it on another line?

Thanks all!!

Last edited:

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Got my s5 and plugged in my SIM card from my Razr Maxx and still rocking the UDP!. This is great. lol.

***QUESTION ABOUT TETHERING***
I used my Razr to tether to my PC for internet obviously. I can still tether with my S5 but now I am getting random disconnects with PDA net + that I didn't get before with my Razr. Anyone know if this and S5 issue, a KK issue or some other type of problem? It just randomly loses connection, not data wise but like it has been physically unplugged from my PC. Other times it will take a long time to load a page to which it loses connection data wise and then when it comes back its really really slow even though in PDA net it shows it connected a good speed. The speed it connected at normally. Any info or a link to some info would be great. Thanks guys and I hope everyone reading this gets to keep their UDP as well.

I've used FoxFi (part of PDA Net?) on my Note 3 and it's been very reliable. Haven't used it for more than an hour but it kept the connection stable for that hour. Was it disconnecting from Verizon or from the local Wifi you were creating? Perhaps you were in an area with weak cell phone data coverage?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I try to buy a phone from bestbuy.com I'm told that my type of account can't be upgraded online and that I need to visit a store to get help.

Mike

Is it a business account?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Two questions :

(1) Has anyone tried a price adjustment after receiving and activating the new phone?

(2) Can we add asurion warranty coverage after purchasing thru Best Buy? I'm worried if I sign up via Verizon online, it will trigger something and I'll lose unlimited. So just wondering what other people did.

Thank you

Last edited:

racerx55

May 31, 2014
Visit site

Just want to follow-up and say thanks to dss2000.. i upgraded my phone from 3g to 4glte M8 successfully.... use the old phone line upgrade and when I received the phone, just added new device (MEID and SIM) to line 1 with udp. it went smoothly. no transfer of sim cards. still have udp.

question: i don't see where it says "pending activation" like the other threads.

am i missing something? also i'd like to transfer line 2 udp upgrade to same old phone line, but by doing that will it extend another 2 years (total 4 yrs?)

thanks to everyone for contributing to this great thread....

daily4x4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Go to the website and activate the phone on line 3 and select new phone not on your account before. It will ask you for the MEID number for the phone and the number on the SIM and then should activate on line 3.

Worked like a charm. Thanks dss2000 and everybody else who has contributed to this informative thread.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Just want to follow-up and say thanks to dss2000.. i upgraded my phone from 3g to 4glte M8 successfully.... use the old phone line upgrade and when I received the phone, just added new device (MEID and SIM) to line 1 with udp. it went smoothly. no transfer of sim cards. still have udp.

question: i don't see where it says "pending activation" like the other threads.

am i missing something? also i'd like to transfer line 2 udp upgrade to same old phone line, but by doing that will it extend another 2 years (total 4 yrs?)

thanks to everyone for contributing to this great thread....

Your welcome glad to help. It's kind of variable with the pending activation, probably just depends on when their computer system cleans things up. My experience was about a week, others have been longer. If yours already fell off that's fine. It doesn't effect your charges because they don't charge you data for a pending data plan only when it's implemented. Only thing it really effects is that you can't use that basic phone to run through another upgrade until that pending activation falls off. Since you don't see it anymore you can run another upgrade through it. When you transfer an upgrade the contract will extend 2 years to the donating line not the line you run the upgrade through. So if you transfer your upgrade from Line2 UDP to Line3 basic phone and order an upgrade through Line3 your contract on Line2 will be extended 2 years not Line3. So you'll have 2 more years on Line2 and 2 years on Line3.

jdwx

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site

Mike

Did you make sure you have a zero balance? It has to be paid in full. I owed a bit and was denied. I paid it off, and within minutes, I was allowed to upgrade.

jeepwrang3

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

Ok, let me run this by everyone before i pull the trigger. I've seriously been following this thread for 3 months, just afraid to get stuck.

Line 1: UDP out of Contract, upgrade eligible Google Nexus
Line 2 UDP, part of family plan above also out of contract, upgrade eligible, iphone4s

So i plan to upgrade line 1 Google Nexus to the S5 or HTC M8, sim card swap from Gnex directly to the new S5, or cut it down for the M8. Simple enough, but where i'm getting confused is the part about needing to do the upgrade on a second or third line. Is that only when you're not out of plan and not eligible for upgrades?

Secondly, if the second line wants to upgrade to a new iPhone5s, can i just do both orders at the same time? To my knowledge i'll just need to call verizon in advance, and acquire a nano sim so her plan can follow to the new phone.

After receiving the phones, swap old sims into new phones, destroy sims that come with the phones preferably with a large amount of thermite. Use activation process on Verizon.com or by calling, and I'm good? Did i miss anything?

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Small update. It's almost been two months and my upgraded lines are still unlimited. I was never charged the $35 upgrade fee on either line, which is awesome. Thanks again.

Same here. My wife is using the S5 though, and I just bought an LG G2 off of Swappa. Saving the other UDP line upgrade for some of the newer phones this fall.

pearple

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site

Hello. We would like to update our existing phones and keep the unlimited data plan. We currently have the following and all are elig for updates:
Line 1: Iphone4
Line 2: Iphone4
Line 3: Dumb phone
We are thinking of getting GalaxyS4 (or IPhone5's) on the first 2 lines. If this isn't possible then we're okay with going to Iphone5's. The last line we would like to stay basic. Also, we would like to add unlimited text to line 1 (we have no texts included now). Is there anyway to do all of this with subsidized phones and keep unlimited data?
Thank you!

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Hello. We would like to update our existing phones and keep the unlimited data plan. We currently have the following and all are elig for updates:
Line 1: Iphone4
Line 2: Iphone4
Line 3: Dumb phone
We are thinking of getting GalaxyS4 (or IPhone5's) on the first 2 lines. If this isn't possible then we're okay with going to Iphone5's. The last line we would like to stay basic. Also, we would like to add unlimited text to line 1 (we have no texts included now). Is there anyway to do all of this with subsidized phones and keep unlimited data?
Thank you!

Which lines have UDP and which lines have upgrades available ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys91