[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

tippin187

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

It's about 20min untill it's been 24hours since I put the order in for the iPhone 5S... Haven't gotten a problem email nor have I got an email saying it's shipped... But my contract has been renewed on vzw and I'm still showing my UDP unchanged. Is this a good sign it'll ship? Hoping it ships today soon!

youngerhov

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Just wanted to say thanks! Worked perfectly for me. Just reused my old SIM card and it auto updated everything on my account, no need to do the switch through VZW.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Hello. We would like to update our existing phones and keep the unlimited data plan. We currently have the following and all are elig for updates:
Line 1: Iphone4
Line 2: Iphone4
Line 3: Dumb phone
We are thinking of getting GalaxyS4 (or IPhone5's) on the first 2 lines. If this isn't possible then we're okay with going to Iphone5's. The last line we would like to stay basic. Also, we would like to add unlimited text to line 1 (we have no texts included now). Is there anyway to do all of this with subsidized phones and keep unlimited data?
Thank you!

UDP phone and dumb phone with upgrade
Line1 UDP
Line3 dumb phone (Upgrade available)​

1. Order smartphone using upgrade on Line3, select data plan
  2. Activate smartphone on Line1
  3. Pending data plan on Line3 will drop off in a week

One Smart phone with UDP
Line2 UDP (Upgrade available)
Line3 dumb phone​

1. Transfer upgrade from Line2 to Line3
  2. Order smartphone using upgrade on Line3, select data plan
  3. Activate smartphone on Line2
  4. Pending data plan on Line3 will drop off in a week

cootiesboy

May 16, 2013
Visit site

UDP phone and dumb phone with upgrade
Line1 UDP
Line3 dumb phone (Upgrade available)​

1. Order smartphone using upgrade on Line3, select data plan
  2. Activate smartphone on Line1
  3. Pending data plan on Line3 will drop off in a week

One Smart phone with UDP
Line2 UDP (Upgrade available)
Line3 dumb phone​

1. Transfer upgrade from Line2 to Line3
  2. Order smartphone using upgrade on Line3, select data plan
  3. Activate smartphone on Line2
  4. Pending data plan on Line3 will drop off in a week

For the 2nd part, should I put in my old sim to the new phone when it arrives and then proceed with activating the phone on the udp line? I'm going to try this with the g3 and hope everything will work out! Can't wait to try xlte.

DroidRzrsucks

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

Well, I screwed up some where along the way. When I activated my new phone verizon dropped me to 1.8GB/mo. Called and complained, but no go. He offered me 6 GB for $30/mo, but I told him no and I want my unlimited. So had him reactivate my old phone and once I return my new Galaxy S5 to BB then i'll get my unlimited data back (or so they say).

So what I did.

1. Bought phone on BB. Order showed I would be keeping my same plan with no changes.
2. Did expedited shipping and it showed up in 48 hours.
3. Put SIM from my Droid Rzr into the S5, and then called the number to activate. (I'm guessing this is where I screwed up?)
4. During the phone call it said something about activating the phone from the order, press 1. Did that.
5. Checked account and no longer had UDP.

So now i'm a peeved at myself since I screwed up some where. He reactivated my Droid, and account at the moment says 6GB, but I have a Samsung S5 that I have to return in order to get UDP back.

So now I worry that once I return the droid, will I get the UDP back? The tech guy said I would... but will I? If I decide to keep the new phone and call them and say give me the 6GB at $30/mo, what's to say at some date down the road they say in order to keep your 6GB you must pay X amount more?

This is a very frustrating situation. I read everyone's success stories so I figured i'd give it a try (this after waiting almost 2 months since I became eligible for upgrade). My only other option is to drop verizon (which I basically said I was going to do to the guy) and go with another company and hope I can get what I want. Bleh...

Any thoughts guys? I'm going to sit on the phone a day or so and think it over before I take it back.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Well, I screwed up some where along the way. When I activated my new phone verizon dropped me to 1.8GB/mo. Called and complained, but no go. He offered me 6 GB for $30/mo, but I told him no and I want my unlimited. So had him reactivate my old phone and once I return my new Galaxy S5 to BB then i'll get my unlimited data back (or so they say).

So what I did.

1. Bought phone on BB. Order showed I would be keeping my same plan with no changes.
2. Did expedited shipping and it showed up in 48 hours.
3. Put SIM from my Droid Rzr into the S5, and then called the number to activate. (I'm guessing this is where I screwed up?)
4. During the phone call it said something about activating the phone from the order, press 1. Did that.
5. Checked account and no longer had UDP.

So now i'm a peeved at myself since I screwed up some where. He reactivated my Droid, and account at the moment says 6GB, but I have a Samsung S5 that I have to return in order to get UDP back.

So now I worry that once I return the droid, will I get the UDP back? The tech guy said I would... but will I? If I decide to keep the new phone and call them and say give me the 6GB at $30/mo, what's to say at some date down the road they say in order to keep your 6GB you must pay X amount more?

This is a very frustrating situation. I read everyone's success stories so I figured i'd give it a try (this after waiting almost 2 months since I became eligible for upgrade). My only other option is to drop verizon (which I basically said I was going to do to the guy) and go with another company and hope I can get what I want. Bleh...

Any thoughts guys? I'm going to sit on the phone a day or so and think it over before I take it back.

I believe you are correct In where it all went wrong if I had to guess. You don't have to call to get it activated but with enough push I think you can get your UDP back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DroidRzrsucks

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

That's good to know. So all I needed to do is turn the phone on and go..? The guy I talked to would not do a thing to give me UDP. There was no budging with him, and I threw the kitchen sink (not being mean to him, but expressing my frustration and talking logic and loyalty, etc.) at him as far as getting my UDP. Not sure what more I could do on that front.

At the moment I think i'll return the phone tomorrow, then when I see UDP back on my account, go through the whole process again. Which hopefully BB will still have their $99 dollar special going.

feakei57

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Just happened upon this. I don't have unlimited data, we have Nationwide Talk& Text Share 700, and I have 4gb of data. would I keep my present plan using this procedure? Thanks

ThrottleAbuse

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

I am no expert, but it seems that people are making the mistake of calling and activating their phone. I think the confusion comes because all throughout the thread people tell you to activate your new phone, but actually mean put in the sim card and turn it on.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

For the 2nd part, should I put in my old sim to the new phone when it arrives and then proceed with activating the phone on the udp line? I'm going to try this with the g3 and hope everything will work out! Can't wait to try xlte.

I've never had the iPhone but I don't think the 4 has a SIM and the 4s only has a 3G SIM. If you get it from Verizon the SIM that comes with it is a virgin SIM and you can activate it with that. I recommend activating online. Better to avoid talking to Verizon CSR especially ones in store as many will give you misinformation and try to scare you.

Posted via Android Central App

lifeisequal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I finally was able to get an upgrade for my second line. After getting my previous orders cancelled I tried to do a upgrade on the second line. This morning I received the same problem email. I again cancelled the order. This time I transferred the upgrade from the second line to the main line and placed the order again. It shipped out this afternoon. The catch seems to be making sure you already have the first upgraded phone activated on the main line before ordering the second.

Last edited:

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I did not call any number to activate my s5. I just pulled my old Sim card from my razr maxx, put in s5, turned s5 on and it was good to go. That was Tuesday and my account still shows unlimited so far. (checking daily). I've also read being set up as an account manager helps too (which I am).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cootiesboy

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I've never had the iPhone but I don't think the 4 has a SIM and the 4s only has a 3G SIM. If you get it from Verizon the SIM that comes with it is a virgin SIM and you can activate it with that. I recommend activating online. Better to avoid talking to Verizon CSR especially ones in store as many will give you misinformation and try to scare you.

Posted via Android Central App

I should of elaborated more. I actually have a note 2. So would my post be correct?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I should of elaborated more. I actually have a note 2. So would my post be correct?

Sorry, got you mixed up with pearple. Sure, that makes it even easier, just take the SIM from your Note 2 with UDP, take the phone that you ordered through the dumb phone and put it in your new G3 and you're done. You probably don't even have to go through the online activation. When you put the SIM in your G3 and boot it up it will be on your UDP line since the account is already associated with that SIM.

mattr04

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

Like all of you, I'm trying to keep my UDP. I think I've started the process. Haven't finished, need your help!

Scenario: 1 dumbphone eligible for upgrade and 1 smartphone (stratosphere) with UDP also eligible for upgrade.

I went in-store and upgraded dumbphone line to an S5. They activated in store. Couldn't get out of that.

What is the next step? Re-activate dumb phone on dumb phone line, then activate s5 on smartphone line? Do I swap SIMS instead of activate on smartphone line after its deactivated on dumbphone line? Is it best to activate online or over phone (using *228?)

Any help would be appreciated.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Like all of you, I'm trying to keep my UDP. I think I've started the process. Haven't finished, need your help!

Scenario: 1 dumbphone eligible for upgrade and 1 smartphone (stratosphere) with UDP also eligible for upgrade.

I went in-store and upgraded dumbphone line to an S5. They activated in store. Couldn't get out of that.

What is the next step? Re-activate dumb phone on dumb phone line, then activate s5 on smartphone line? Do I swap SIMS instead of activate on smartphone line after its deactivated on dumbphone line? Is it best to activate online or over phone (using *228?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, just go online to activate the dumb phone back on its original line. You'll probably have to then do the *228 thing. The data plan should fall off. Then take the Verizon SIM from the Stratosphere (I don't know the Stratosphere, assuming it has a SIM) and put it in your new S5. Shouldn't have to do *228, it should just connect.

grinder34

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site

I read many of these pages, but didnt find out if this is a best-buy specific loophole, or will other retailers work? The phone I want is $100 cheaper at the moment on amazon.com.

Does anyone think the same procedure would work for Amazon? Do they have a different policy?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I read many of these pages, but didnt find out if this is a best-buy specific loophole, or will other retailers work? The phone I want is $100 cheaper at the moment on amazon.com.

Does anyone think the same procedure would work for Amazon? Do they have a different policy?

I've read of one person having apparent success but not sure if it's explicit possible via amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Did you make sure you have a zero balance? It has to be paid in full. I owed a bit and was denied. I paid it off, and within minutes, I was allowed to upgrade.
I had a balance owed and was able to get a phone. One time I tried to and it wouldn't let me because I had a past due balance at the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ABAB2

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

You've probably already figured this out, Jon, but the Note 3 and the Maxx use the same micro SIM card. I removed it from the Maxx and put it in the Note 3 before turning it on. Self activated and I kept my UDP (and I had the same 450 min plan as you without a family plan, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemal