[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

I read many of these pages, but didnt find out if this is a best-buy specific loophole, or will other retailers work? The phone I want is $100 cheaper at the moment on amazon.com.

Does anyone think the same procedure would work for Amazon? Do they have a different policy?

I've read of one person having apparent success but not sure if it's explicit possible via amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the person who claimed success picked a specific data plan and agreed to it when they ordered through amazon but when they received the phone they did the sim swap and it preserved the original data plan. Don't hold me to that theory however. I am just speculating and hoping that this line of conversation might lead to how this technique could be used for amazon purchases as well.

cootiesboy

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Sorry, got you mixed up with pearple. Sure, that makes it even easier, just take the SIM from your Note 2 with UDP, take the phone that you ordered through the dumb phone and put it in your new G3 and you're done. You probably don't even have to go through the online activation. When you put the SIM in your G3 and boot it up it will be on your UDP line since the account is already associated with that SIM.

Thanks for the confirmation. I want to pm you but I'm not sure how. I actually have one more question, should I deactivate the line on my note 2 and then pull the SIM card out to put in the new phone and then activate it? Or do I just pull the SIM card out without deactivating the phone off the line and just put the SIM card in the new phone?

Edit: just found out how to pm, if you don't mind, I'll pm you if I got further question. Thank you!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the confirmation. I want to pm you but I'm not sure how. I actually have one more question, should I deactivate the line on my note 2 and then pull the SIM card out to put in the new phone and then activate it? Or do I just pull the SIM card out without deactivating the phone off the line and just put the SIM card in the new phone?

Edit: just found out how to pm, if you don't mind, I'll pm you if I got further question. Thank you!

No you don't have to deactivate line, just put SIM in new phone.

Posted via Android Central App

hzimmy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site

Hi,
I upgraded from a Droid X UDP to a S5. Was going to try the Best Buy method but...no sim in the Droid X to swap in.

SO...Can I swich the S5 to a dumbphone line which is eligible for an upgrade, activate the phone, then de-activate it and put it back on my UDP line? I have 4 lines total, only one with UDP, all have upgrades available.

tree9

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

for some people (myself included) once this works u might end up still showing month to month and still having an upgrade available.

Has anyone used that upgrade again? I planned not to do that, abusing the system. However my GS5 is only 3 weeks old and already has screen banding. it needs to be replaced best buy says **** you its been 14 days. and samsung says send it in for a 3 week repair. if it cant be repaired, too bad no replacement... so much for a 1 year waranty. I might get forced in to buying a new phone

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Hi,
I upgraded from a Droid X UDP to a S5. Was going to try the Best Buy method but...no sim in the Droid X to swap in.

SO...Can I swich the S5 to a dumbphone line which is eligible for an upgrade, activate the phone, then de-activate it and put it back on my UDP line? I have 4 lines total, only one with UDP, all have upgrades available.

You already have an S5 ordered through Best Buy using the UDP line? You cannot use the SIM that comes with that phone, some have reported just having the SIM in and turning on the phone will cause them to lose their UDP. The usual method for upgrading with one UDP line and one basic line phone (if using upgrade on the basic line) is:

UDP phone and dumb phone with upgrade
Line1 UDP
Line2 dumb phone (Upgrade available)​

1. Order smartphone using upgrade on Line2, select data plan
  2. Activate smartphone on Line1
  3. Pending data plan on Line2 will drop off in a week

If using upgrade from UDP line do this:

One Smart phone with UDP
Line1 UDP (Upgrade available)
Line2 dumb phone​

1. Transfer upgrade from Line1 to Line2
  2. Order smartphone using upgrade on Line2, select data plan
  3. Activate smartphone on Line1
  4. Pending data plan on Line2 will drop off in a week

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes, just go online to activate the dumb phone back on its original line. You'll probably have to then do the *228 thing. The data plan should fall off. Then take the Verizon SIM from the Stratosphere (I don't know the Stratosphere, assuming it has a SIM) and put it in your new S5. Shouldn't have to do *228, it should just connect.

DO NOT EVER DIAL *228 ON AN LTE PHONE WITH A SIM. It is only for CDMA and EVDO (3G/1X) phones.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

DO NOT EVER DIAL *228 ON AN LTE PHONE WITH A SIM. It is only for CDMA and EVDO (3G/1X) phones.

Yes, I was referring to the dumb phone, I said, to activate the dumb phone you need to add it on the line via the website then you need to activate by *228.
For the smartphone I said "shouldn't have to do *228"

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Can anyone tell me if the method of activating an upgrade on an alternative line to keep UDP is sanctioned by Verizon? That is if I call and ask about it will they support it? I'm in need of an upgrade asap. Thanks!

Sent from my mobile device.

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

All,

Here is my situation:

Line 1: UDP, Razr Maxx, eligible for upgrade
Line 2: UDP, Bionic, eligible for upgrade

The MAXX has just gotten sooooo slow and I need a new phone.

From what I'm reading here, I can process an upgrade on Line 2, activate it on Line 1, and I will retain UDP on both.

I did call Verizon and they said that while I will retain UDP on Line 1 this way (with the new phone), I will lose it on Line 2 because that is the line that sacrificed the upgrade.

Can anyone confirm that what I'm interpreting is correct? What is the risk that I will in fact lose UDP on one of my two lines?

If this works, I want to process this TODAY as my old phone has gotten unbearable. My wife will be good with the Bionic she has now.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

All,

Here is my situation:

Line 1: UDP, Razr Maxx, eligible for upgrade
Line 2: UDP, Bionic, eligible for upgrade

The MAXX has just gotten sooooo slow and I need a new phone.

From what I'm reading here, I can process an upgrade on Line 2, activate it on Line 1, and I will retain UDP on both.

I did call Verizon and they said that while I will retain UDP on Line 1 this way (with the new phone), I will lose it on Line 2 because that is the line that sacrificed the upgrade.

Can anyone confirm that what I'm interpreting is correct? What is the risk that I will in fact lose UDP on one of my two lines?

If this works, I want to process this TODAY as my old phone has gotten unbearable. My wife will be good with the Bionic she has now.

Thanks!

If you just have two UDP lines you might consider the FlyingArrow method:

Ref:http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon-114.html#post3637419

Or the Best Buy method in this thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/351917-verizon-how-keep-unlimited-data-get-phone-subsidized-price.html

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Mooch, I had a Maxx and couldn't take it anymore either. I used the Best Buy method, mostly because I wanted a white s5. My line was eligible for an upgrade so I ordered the s5 on my line, which is secondary (I'm also an account owner). Once I got the s5 I took the Sim from the Maxx, put into the s5 and then turned on the s5. Voila, you're ready to go. Verizon still shows me as unlimited and I got a nice phone for $150. That's it.

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I was strongly considering the "FlyingArrow" method - that's the one I described. I just can't believe that Verizon is OK with it. When I called them this afternoon, the rep described this strategy to me and said it would allow me to keep UDP on one line but I would be giving it up on the second (the one that was donating the upgrade). Seems like the experience of others is that it can be preserved on both.

Again - did anyone have a circumstance where Verizon specifically told them that it would allow them to preserve multiple lines with UDP?

Thanks!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I was strongly considering the "FlyingArrow" method - that's the one I described. I just can't believe that Verizon is OK with it. When I called them this afternoon, the rep described this strategy to me and said it would allow me to keep UDP on one line but I would be giving it up on the second (the one that was donating the upgrade). Seems like the experience of others is that it can be preserved on both.

Again - did anyone have a circumstance where Verizon specifically told them that it would allow them to preserve multiple lines with UDP?

Thanks!

If you look through this thread you'll see that many Verizon CSR say misleading things and sometimes outright lie. It is so blatant I suspect they get a bonus for every UDP they cancel. The ones I've dealt with on the phone are better than the ones in the store but I don't usually ask them questions, I just tell them what I want but mostly I try to avoid interaction with a Verizon CSR and try to do everything online. Yes the FlyingArrow method surprised me. I was thinking more you would transfer the upgrade from Line1 to Line2 first then activate on Line1 but that is theory, FlyingArrow did it this way and confirmed it worked. There are others who confirmed that the FlyingArrow method worked for them too.

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Contemplating taking this route to move from a Razr Maxx to an iPhone 5s. The two have different SIMs (Razr = micro, iPhone = nano), so I will need to cut my current SIM down. What happens if I botch the cut on the SIM (I know I can get the $8 tool from Amazon but it can fail)? Am I out of luck at that point? Thanks!

danslelac

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site

Does this method work with the Moto X Maker? As in, upgrade/purchase it on the dumbphone line and then activate it on my UDP line? Thanks! :)

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Got this error on the best buy website:

Your wireless carrier has requested additional verification. Please call us at 1-877-702-2211. We'll be happy to help you complete your order. Please have this error code handy when you call: 53

johall07

May 15, 2011
Visit site

So,
Line 1: UDP lost my phone so i dont have a sim //eligible
Line 2: tier iphone 4 //non-eligible
Line 3: tier iphone 5s //non-eligible
Line 4: tier iphone 5s //non-eligible

I would like to buy the s5 from bestbuy because it is on sale.

Can I have bestbuy transfer to line 2. Purchase. Activate. Then just swap it to line 1 and put the iphone 4 back to line 2 using MyVerizon?

Or should I put the phone back to line 2 then go to Verizon and get a new sim for line 1 before activation?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

So,
Line 1: UDP lost my phone so i dont have a sim //eligible
Line 2: tier iphone 4 //non-eligible
Line 3: tier iphone 5s //non-eligible
Line 4: tier iphone 5s //non-eligible

I would like to buy the s5 from bestbuy because it is on sale.

Can I have bestbuy transfer to line 2. Purchase. Activate. Then just swap it to line 1 and put the iphone 4 back to line 2 using MyVerizon?

Or should I put the phone back to line 2 then go to Verizon and get a new sim for line 1 before activation?

You should be able to do that. transfer the upgrade to Line 2 and then order an S5. If you buy it in the store they will want to activate it so that is fine. Then pu the iPhone4 back onto Line2 which should free up the S5. Then you should be able to activate the S5 and it's SIM on Line1. Some people have had a problem with this step as sometimes the SIM stays associated with Line2 and when you try to activate it it says it cannot because SIM is still associated with Line2. I think this more happens with basic phones because they knock the basic part off Line2 but not the SIM part. My guess is that the iPhone4 will free the phone and the SIM to allow you to activate it on Line1. Worse case is you need to call Verizon and ask them to disassociate SIM from Line2 so you can activate on Line1. Not really a problem.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Contemplating taking this route to move from a Razr Maxx to an iPhone 5s. The two have different SIMs (Razr = micro, iPhone = nano), so I will need to cut my current SIM down. What happens if I botch the cut on the SIM (I know I can get the $8 tool from Amazon but it can fail)? Am I out of luck at that point? Thanks!
Just go to Verizon and tell them you need a sim card to fit the new phone.

Sent from my Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys91