[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

kchinger

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I thought that was the point of the best buy method. Should I be using the other unlimited line I have and just swapping that way?

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I just did the steps yet again acting like I was going to buy the S5. Seems like they change the wording every week now. Yes there is some different wording, saying you will be switched over to the 2gb tdp but when you advance to the next screen it still says "keep existing plan". Nothing has changed except the wording and where the wording is found. It's simply just another disclaimer. I would still be confident in using the BB method, as I will once the Note 4 becomes readily available.

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

I thought that was the point of the best buy method. Should I be using the other unlimited line I have and just swapping that way?

so you have 2 udp lines and thats it?
i think the bb method you order phone keep plan (if not then chose the 2gplan)
then when you get phone before you do anything remove the sim destroy it then install sim from udp phone then activate if you activate with the sim that was shipped in the phone you will loose you udp

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

so you have 2 udp lines and thats it?
i think the bb method you order phone keep plan (if not then chose the 2gplan)
then when you get phone before you do anything remove the sim destroy it then install sim from udp phone then activate if you activate with the sim that was shipped in the phone you will loose you udp

As I just mentioned above, it only warns you about being placed on a 2gb tdp it doesn't make you select it. The page before you place the oder it still says "keep existing plan".

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Hi All,

After reading volumes of this thread, this is what I plan to do. Will it work?

Current SItuation
2 Verizon iPhone 4s phones both with UDP

What I want
2Verizon iPhone 6 phones and keep UDP

This is what I plan to do
Since my current phones are 3G I cannot just swap the SIM card using the Best Buy method. So I purchased a Moto X from swappa that is a 4G LTE with a nano SIM. Verizon already shipped me 2 nano sim cards that I intend to use for my 2 phones. I plan to activate the Moto X on the first line when I am ready to buy the iPhone 6 from Best Buy. After the iPhone 6s arrives, I will destroy the SIM card and use the SIM card from the Moto X. Hopefully this will help me keep the UDP.

This is where I get confused. Once the first iPhone 6 becomes operational, can I then activate the Moto X on the second line with the other SIM card that Verizon sent me? Will I be able to activate it on the second line? If yes, then I should be able to repeat the Best Buy method again. Does this make sense? Will it work?

Can I use the same Moto X to accomplish the activation of 2 phone? Thanks a lot.

kchinger

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

No, I have 2 udp lines and a dumb line. One dumb line and 1 udp line have upgrades available. The UDP line with the upgrade available is the one I want to upgrade.

Trying to use the dumb line as the upgrade leads me to the "can not be shipped" thing.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Hi All,

Current SItuation

What I want

Since my current phones are 3G I cannot just swap the SIM card using the Best Buy method. So I purchased a Moto X from swappa that is a 4G LTE with a nano SIM. Verizon already shipped me 2 nano sim cards that I intend to use for my 2 phones. I plan to activate the Moto X on the first line when I am ready to buy the iPhone 6 from Best Buy. After the iPhone 6s arrives, I will destroy the SIM card and use the SIM card from the Moto X. Hopefully this will help me keep the UDP.

This is where I get confused. Once the first iPhone 6 becomes operational, can I then activate the Moto X on the second line with the other SIM card that Verizon sent me? Will I be able to activate it on the second line? If yes, then I should be able to repeat the Best Buy method again. Does this make sense? Will it work?

Can I use the same Moto X to accomplish the activation of 2 phone? Thanks a lot.

Your plan will definitely work for getting the 1st iPhone6 and keeping your UDP.

I have to ask- are you ordering the new phones at the same time, or individually several days apart?

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Hi All,

Current SItuation

What I want

You should go ahead and get the MotoX using the 4G SIM BEFORE you attempt to buy the iPhones at BestBuy.Com. You want that 4G SIM to befunctional on the UDP line for a few days before you ever try to order a device at the subsidized price.

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Your plan will definitely work for getting the 1st iPhone6 and keeping your UDP.

I have to ask- are you ordering the new phones at the same time, or individually several days apart?

Thanks for your reply. The new phones will be ordered several days apart.

But can I use one Moto X to ultimately activate 2 phones? Or will it not be recognized when I try to activate the second phone because its SIM was removed and used?

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

You should go ahead and get the MotoX using the 4G SIM BEFORE you attempt to buy the iPhones at BestBuy.Com. You want that 4G SIM to befunctional on the UDP line for a few days before you ever try to order a device at the subsidized price.

Thanks for your reply. I already have the moto X and will activate it on the first line before I start this process.

But as I asked before, can I use one Moto X to ultimately activate 2 phones? Or will it not be recognized when I try to activate the second phone because its SIM was removed and used?

NBAJ2K

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to be transferring a UDP upgrade (that my brother has) to a tiered line on the account and ordering the Nexus 6 once it's available for preorder. I then was going to activate it on my UDP line.

Since the Nexus 6 uses a nano sim and my S4 has the standard size, I'm not able to just pop my normal sim into the phone when I get it, but I know I can't just use the one that comes with the phone.

What exactly is the recommended method of going about it? Is the easiest way to do it just to go to a Verizon store and request a nano sim for free? If I do that though, I didn't know if I need to first activate the card on my line before putting it into the phone.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Just want to make sure I don't screw this up and lose my UDP.

-J

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to be transferring a UDP upgrade (that my brother has) to a tiered line on the account and ordering the Nexus 6 once it's available for preorder. I then was going to activate it on my UDP line.

Since the Nexus 6 uses a nano sim and my S4 has the standard size, I'm not able to just pop my normal sim into the phone when I get it, but I know I can't just use the one that comes with the phone.

What exactly is the recommended method of going about it? Is the easiest way to do it just to go to a Verizon store and request a nano sim for free? If I do that though, I didn't know if I need to first activate the card on my line before putting it into the phone.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Just want to make sure I don't screw this up and lose my UDP.

-J

Just from keeping up with this thread it seems you need to activate the new SIM on your UDP line beside you get the new phone.

You have two other options. 1. Cut your card down to a Nano size. 2. Activate the new phone on the line you ordered it on. Then add the old phone back, that will take the new phone off. Then you can add that phone to your UDP without changing the SIM.

Prometheus90

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

To everyone who wants a note 4 with the bestbuy method. Apparently the note 4 will be available online this Friday. According to the rep I talked to Verizon is trying to get the note 4 pre orders done with first and then they will be shipping hem to other retailers

kchinger

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

Tried again today to get a Droid Mini at Best Buy, it still says "can't ship, try another address or pick up in store".

So if I have two UDP, one eligible, one not, and one dumbphone that's eligible. The eligible UDP phone is the one that wants a Droid Mini now. If I can even get Best Buy to work, do I need to transfer the upgrade from the UDP phone that I actually want to upgrade to the other one and order on that? Or do I order on the dumbphone? Will either work? Is Best Buy just done now? I'm so tired of all this. This isn't even for me.

Jackpot0

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

-J

hey man this is what you do. call verizon tell them your friend gave you a phone and you just need a nano sim card. they'll ship one to you for free.

buy this Nano Sim Card to Micro Standard Adapter Adaptor Converter Set for iPhone 5 4S 4 | eBay

it costs $1. Stick that new nano sim in the adapter and activate it on your current phone with UDP. tranfer the upgrade and when you recieve the phone take out the sim card and now stick in your new nano sim card from your UDP phone.

this WORKS! i just did it, twice on my account.

the activation lock will drop in two weeks.

replica9000

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

FYI don't ever ask a Verizon rep about the loop holes, I know that's not what you asked about. But even if you do they will tell you it doesn't work when it does.

I have a friend that works for VZW. She said if she helps with a loophole, she would be in trouble.

Richard S2

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site

To everyone who wants a note 4 with the bestbuy method. Apparently the note 4 will be available online this Friday. According to the rep I talked to Verizon is trying to get the note 4 pre orders done with first and then they will be shipping hem to other retailers

Good news. Samsung extended their offer for $200 rebate on trade in to 10/31/2014. They stated BEST BUY customers must redeem in store subject to Best Buy trade-in program details at participating Best Buy locations.
I hope they also honor $200 rebate. It would not make any sense if they do not honor $200 rebate because we ordered online

Fred76

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

I am going to once again share my experience on keeping the unlimited data. here is what I did I preoreder the iphone 6 transfering the upgrade to a dumb phone line and charging it to the account and once I got the iphone 6 took the sim card out and activated on a tiered data line, I did have the pending order for a week and it fell off dont know if by itself or because I called naggin about it ....still got the unlimited data on the line I did the transfer and for some reason I still have an upgrade available on that line it never was extended....and for some reason this is the second time it happens, was a few months ago did a transfer upgrade and the contract date was never extended. for one thing its good for me. My billing cycle just started again on the 11th of october and my unlimited data line is still unlimited. Im also gonna comment on the REDDIT guy saying that verizon is going to track the meid on the network if Verizon is gonna do that the few that are on unlimited data would of already been bumped off and a few years ago when I bought a smartphone on a subsided price the rep said that once you buy and sign the 2 yr contract the phone is yours to do as you please ....haven said that until verizon announces any thing officially ....this loopholes will work benefiting both the customer and Verizon....cuz they will never say no to $$

NBAJ2K

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

hey man this is what you do. call verizon tell them your friend gave you a phone and you just need a nano sim card. they'll ship one to you for free.

buy this Nano Sim Card to Micro Standard Adapter Adaptor Converter Set for iPhone 5 4S 4 | eBay

it costs $1. Stick that new nano sim in the adapter and activate it on your current phone with UDP. tranfer the upgrade and when you recieve the phone take out the sim card and now stick in your new nano sim card from your UDP phone.

this WORKS! i just did it, twice on my account.

the activation lock will drop in two weeks.
Thanks for the advice tx_tuff and Jackpot0! That adapter way sounds like a great idea. To get ahead of it I might just do that right now and just leave that in my phone until the Nexus 6 comes out.

-J

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxolina