[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Yes, make sure that your account is paid up. Also set a billing PIN if you don't have one, or reset it if you don't know what it is.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

The billing password got me all confused when ordering from BestBuy.com. Verizon's own website, phone support, or in-store employees never asked me that. It turned out that my billing password is the same as the last 4 digits of my SSN#.

I don't mean to be a pest for asking the same question twice.... :D If I follow the Best Buy method correctly and UPS already has my order, am I safe now? Order confirmation shows keep existing data plan. I will destroy the sim card immediately upon delivery without putting the battery in the new phone. Will not speak with anyone at VZW or Best Buy. Am I overlooking anything that may give me problems?

Is there any chance that after the Best Buy 14-day return period ends, Verizon will take away my UDP? :(

Thanks again for all your help! :)

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

Thanks - just checked and apparently VZW hasn't processed my monthly payment yet for some reason. Will call tomorrow and see if I can get them to push it through.

Last time this happened to me, I drove to the Verizon Wireless corporate store and made payment right there with cash. It was posted to my account within a couple of minutes. :)

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

Looking at the screenshots that I took during the bestbuy.com ordering process, I noticed the following text. Is this something that I need to be worried about at all?

There's a change from Verizon Wireless for unlimited data plans.
Verizon Wireless has ended this plan option, so when you upgrade
you'll be switched to their most common 2GB plan by default

I did make sure that the order showed keep existing data plan... My order confirmation also shows keep existing data plan. I guess I'll know when the phone arrives tomorrow.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I don't mean to be a pest for asking the same question twice.... :D If I follow the Best Buy method correctly and UPS already has my order, am I safe now? Order confirmation shows keep existing data plan. I will destroy the sim card immediately upon delivery without putting the battery in the new phone. Will not speak with anyone at VZW or Best Buy. Am I overlooking anything that may give me problems?

Is there any chance that after the Best Buy 14-day return period ends, Verizon will take away my UDP? :(

If UPS has your phone then it seems the order is going through. It sounds like you have done everything correctly. Of course, there is a chance that Verizon could pull UDP after the 14 day return period is over. But users have been doing what you did for a year, and I've never heard of it happening if the user followed the directions.

Looking at the screenshots that I took during the bestbuy.com ordering process, I noticed the following text. Is this something that I need to be worried about at all?

I did make sure that the order showed keep existing data plan... My order confirmation also shows keep existing data plan. I guess I'll know when the phone arrives tomorrow.

That warning is always there. As long as you don't use the new SIM or activate the phone, I don't really think it matters what you choose. But you should choose Keep existing plan. That might help you out a bit should you lose UDP.

Last edited:

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

But users have been doing what you did for a year, and I've never heard of it happening if the user followed the directions.

yeah, that kind of what I figured. I understand that there is a risk going in. :)

If someone who did the Best Buy method had UDP taken away after 14 days, he'd be screaming blooding here by now. :D I scanned all 310 pages of this thread and found no such complaints. :) Also checked a couple of large thread on other websites(such as Slickdeals) and also found nobody mentioning UDP being taken away after 14 days.

UPS shows delivery today, but I probably won't get it today because it requires a signature and I won't be home during the day.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

I had that warning when I bought my Note3 from BestBuy.com almost 4 months ago. By doing the SIM swap I've kept my UDP and extended my contract until 2016. You should be OK if you stick to the plan.

shingouki1

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

just got my note 4 today and plugged in my old sim from my lg g2. everything is working fine and my verizon account already shows my new note 4 and my unlimited account in tact.

replica9000

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

I was able to with the alternate upgrade method. This was before you couldn't drop the data on a dumb phone though. I figured the "gift" excuse was the only way possible now, if it works,

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

If UPS has your phone then it seems the order is going through. It sounds like you have done everything correctly. Of course, there is a chance that Verizon could pull UDP after the 14 day return period is over. But users have been doing what you did for a year, and I've never heard of it happening if the user followed the directions.

just received the phone, sim card was already inside the sim card slot inside the Galaxy S 5.
I destroyed the sim card, took the battery out of its sealed bag, and the phone is being charged
now.

(1) bestbuy.com order was apparently shipped from a local Best Buy store 18 miles away. The return address on the UPS label showed the Best Buy retail store's address. A "Ship From Store" label was also taped on the Samsung phone box on the inside. any chance that the retail store employee already activated the sim? (see picture below)

(2) logged into my VZW acct and it already shows new upgrade date of November 2016 and still shows unlimited data. (bestbuy.com order confirmation also shows "keep existing data plan" However, nowhere does it say activation pending. is this normal?

(3) what's even more strange is that the line now shows early Edge available. it didn't say that last week.

(4) does bestbuy.com usually ship phones from a Best Buy retail store?

35kvqxk.jpg

Last edited:

Saint603

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

Quick question: Does the old sim card have to be one coming out of an ACTIVATED phone? I have my old Galaxy S3 sim, but I had to resort to temporarily using an older Samsung 3G Galaxy Fascinate for a couple weeks since my S3 wouldn't turn on anymore. Will I have any issues?

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

just received the phone, sim card was already inside the sim card slot inside the Galaxy S 5.
I destroyed the sim card, took the battery out of its sealed bag, and the phone is being charged
now.

(1) bestbuy.com order was apparently shipped from a local Best Buy store 18 miles away. The return address on the UPS label showed the Best Buy retail store's address. A "Ship From Store" label was also taped on the Samsung phone box on the inside. any chance that the retail store employee already activated the sim? (see picture below)

(2) logged into my VZW acct and it already shows new upgrade date of November 2016 and still shows unlimited data. (bestbuy.com order confirmation also shows "keep existing data plan" However, nowhere does it say activation pending. is this normal?

(3) what's even more strange is that the line now shows early Edge available. it didn't say that last week.

(4) does bestbuy.com usually ship phones from a Best Buy retail store?

http://oi61.tinypic.com/35kvqxk.jpg

I think your number 2 says it all. You should be just fine!

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Quick question: Does the old sim card have to be one coming out of an ACTIVATED phone? I have my old Galaxy S3 sim, but I had to resort to temporarily using an older Samsung 3G Galaxy Fascinate for a couple weeks since my S3 wouldn't turn on anymore. Will I have any issues?

Whatever active simcard you are using holds your info. Use it.

Saint603

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

Well I went ahead and entered my old S3 SIM into the Note 4 and I'm getting an error saying they're having trouble activating my phone and to call them to activate (not going to happen). I'm sure it's because my old S3 SIM is not active. So how the heck do I activate my old sim card when my S3 doesn't work anymore?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

Well I went ahead and entered my old S3 SIM into the Note 4 and I'm getting an error saying they're having trouble activating my phone and to call them to activate (not going to happen). I'm sure it's because my old S3 SIM is not active. So how the heck do I activate my old sim card when my S3 doesn't work anymore?
You'll have to get your SIM card activated again. Borrow a phone from a friend, or buy a cheap one.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

CrimsnTide

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

I now forget which is Rule #1? "You do not talk about Fight Club" OR "NEVER take your phone into a Verizon store"?

I have (or had) 3 UDP, 1 TDP
I upgraded TDP line with IPhone 6 - then transferred to UDP. - No Problems
I transferred upgrade from UDP line to TDP Ordered SECOND iPhone 6
Received 2nd iPhone, removed SIM, inserted SIM from first iPhone 6. (Now 2nd iPhone has first line # and is working!)
I want to know is that can I take FIRST iPhone 6 into Verizon Store and have it activated or "SWITCHED" to other UDP line WITHOUT losing UDP?
I am in need of a SIM and I want to get this activated BEFORE the holiday weekend. I won't get SIM by going online, trying to activate, and then having them mail one to me.
Too risky? We are talking UDP....
Anyone got a phone that uses nano SIM in the Anaheim area I can borrow for a night?

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

You would need to choose the keep data plan in the process. Then discard the sim that came with the phone and reuse your old sim

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

I thought I was no longer confused, but then I read post #1 of this thread...then I became confused again.

This is what it says:

(1)Figure out which lines are available for upgrade within your plan. DO NOT use an upgrade that currently has unlimited unless you have no other choice because you will lose unlimited data on that line. Example: You have a family share plan with 3 lines. 2 are smartphones both with unlimited data and 1 is a basic phone with no data. You would want to use the basic phone line for the upgrade. If you only currently have 2 lines and both are smartphones with unlimited data, using this method, you will have to lose unlimited on one of the lines in order to upgrade but you can switch the newly purchased phone over to the unlimited line..

Below is what I originally asked... based on (1) in post #1, didn't I just do it wrong? Or is that post outdated? I ordered from BestBuy.com using the UDP line's own upgrade to upgrade the same line. (at no time was Line 2 or Line 3 involved) I did destroy the sim card upon delivery before the battery was ever inserted.

Thanks!

I have 3 lines on my Verizon Family Share account.

Line 1 is unlimited data and has upgrade
Line 2 is basic phone and has no upgrade
Line 3 is basic phone and has no upgrade

I placed an order on bestbuy.com using Line 1's upgrade. (to upgrade Line 1)
The phone is being shipped to my home.

Please tell me if I made a huge mistake.

Was I supposed to transfer the upgrade from the Line 1 to Line 2 first?
If so, I guess I'll have to cancel or refuse the order and start from scratch again.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I thought I was no longer confused, but then I read post #1 of this thread...then I became confused again.

This is what it says:

Below is what I originally asked... based on (1) in post #1, didn't I just do it wrong? Or is that post outdated? I ordered from BestBuy.com using the UDP line's own upgrade to upgrade the same line. (at no time was Line 2 or Line 3 involved) I did destroy the sim card upon delivery before the battery was ever inserted.

Thanks!

I have 3 lines on my Verizon Family Share account.

Line 1 is unlimited data and has upgrade
Line 2 is basic phone and has no upgrade
Line 3 is basic phone and has no upgrade

I placed an order on bestbuy.com using Line 1's upgrade. (to upgrade Line 1)
The phone is being shipped to my home.

Please tell me if I made a huge mistake.

Was I supposed to transfer the upgrade from the Line 1 to Line 2 first?
If so, I guess I'll have to cancel or refuse the order and start from scratch again.

You didn't crew up, just don't turn on the phone with the new SIM. Take it out and put in the new SIM and you should be good to go.

direfan

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

OK guys, last question before I do the Best Buy method.

My current phone is a Moto X, My iphone 6 just arrived from Best Buy. So, I should be able to take the SIM card from the Moto X and put it into the iphone 6, correct?

The reason I ask, is I read somehwere that there are some SIM cards that are android specific and cannot be used in the iOS environment. Is this true? I read this in the XDA forum. This is what I read:

Also, the nano SIM card in the iPhone is different than the nano SIM used in Android devices. The SKU you're looking for is: DFILL4FF-NFC-A (the A stands for Android)

Link for the forum:

Nexus 6 Nano SIM Card - Pg. 9 | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obi