ios 6 vs android 4.0

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I just hacked my Epic 4G with an ICS ROM and the phone is now amazing.. Prior to that, the phone with unrooted Gingerbread was extremely buggy, even for the most fundamental features... I chalked it up as Android's inherent substandard-ness compared to iOS or Windows... Was on a path to go away from Android when my contract is up in Sep.. However having experienced the raw ICS on my 2-years old phone, I'm willing to give Android another try, and I might even keep using my Epic 4G with ICS...

If I go with a new phone with 4.0 + manufacture customization, I'm not certain what kind of user experience I will get.. Google is doing themselves a huge disservice by letting manufactures integrate crap into their OS..

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I liked both OSes, really, though I much prefer Android. I like keeping up on this stuff in general, but from my perspective, it seems like iOS never really changes much, at least not on the surface. Maybe "on the surface" changes are superficial, but to me, I think it would be boring to have everything look and act the exact same way, except with a new minor feature here and there.

iOS 6 looks like they just expanded Siri, and added a few new apps that don't really seem too special. I just don't get why these yearly releases are getting numbered releases when they don't seem like that big of an improvement, yanno? I feel like iOS should be at, like, 4.x, or even 3.x, maybe.

But, I'm not so sure that'll deter the Apple legions. I sort of wish it would, not because I want iOS to "fail" or anything like that, but because I want to see the OS actually evolve and make bigger changes.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Are there any examples of badly integrated ICS with manufacture customization? I think that combination pales in comparison to iOS and WinMo.. If not for custom ROM loading and forced to used a badly customized ICS by the manufature, I would go with iOS or WinMo..

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How does that matter when doing a pure comparison?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Pure comparison, of course it doesn't matter.

But I'm coming from the mindset that right now there are some catch up features that iOS6 added that were added to Android in ICS. Only 7% of Android users today have those features.
Then again, no regular consumer has them on iOS either.

It's just embarrassing the penetration level of ICS is so low - that was just my micro rant.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Its just every version of android is very good. Its a big upgrade. not just a cool app. More options (Resize widgets) nice font, and manu gives us options on having custom skins and etc. but what most people dont understand is, you actually have to look at what android phone you buy. A lot of iphone users start off with a Low end android phone and think that every android phone is that way. and saw how choppy and how the camera sucked and all that. its the phone, not android. Im just ready for the iphone to drop. just to see all the tweets about this phone is the perfect size, android is to big (thats if they make it a 4incher)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Only 7% of Android users today have those features.

It's just embarrassing the penetration level of ICS is so low - that was just my micro rant.

You have to keep this in some kind of perspective though. There are a lot more Android devices on the market than there are iOS devices. There are like what....4 or 5 iPhone models and 3 iPad versions? And roughly how many different Android models? Hundreds? Thousands?

There's just a lot more obsolete Android models on the market that will never get updated (and it was never planned they would be), so the percentages don't mean a lot. If you discounted all the phones on the market that it's never planned will get the new version, what do the percentages look like? Probably still lower than they should be, but a lot more than 7%.

I agree that Google, manufacturers and the carriers should be more aggressive about rolling out new versions to those phones that are capable though. It's annoying that ICS has been out so long and many models released in the last year don't have it yet. IMO Google should insist that carriers make the option to upgrade to the latest "pure/vanilla" version available, rather than being reliant on first the manufacturer (HTC, Motorola) to upgrade their skin, then reliant again on the carrier to roll it out.

I know you can root and get it anyways (in most cases) but the option should be there for everyday users who don't want the hassle of rooting and installing a ROM.

I'll be curious if Google addresses this all at their I/O conference in a couple of weeks.

Regardless, even the older versions of Android (like Gingerbread), blow iOS6's features out of the water IMO.