Iphone updates beware!

mj0528

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
AT&T just informed me that since I have an "iphone data plan", I have to choose another data plan that is not unlimited of course. This is getting old! I have talked to 2 different people yesterday and today and got different responses. Who knows what they'll do to us "iphone data" users once we switch. I can almost bet our bills will be higher one way or another though. BS!

Loiselle

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
This is not true.

Read the last Q&A. Now, read this.

Quote their own website, their own press releases... you'll be fine.

Just breathe...................................

I, too, am coming from an iPhone. You'll be okay.

mj0528

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
it's hard to trust anything you read anywhere or what previous at&t support has said when it changes every 10 min. They will do what they want when they want. I see a pissed off Sunday in my near furture if I even decide to leave my iphone 4 now

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
If they give you trouble about it start asking about terminating your account and even mention the word Verizon, that usually gets them to bend for you a bit, worked for me in the past.

Staticpunk84

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I know that as jun 7th 2010 if you had the unlimited data plan your grandfather in so that means you can still upgrade you device to the inspire or another smart phone and still have the unlimited plan now if you do not have that before jun 7th 2010 the its 2gb of data for @25

smokinHawk

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
i couldnt do it at radio shack yesterday, going to try at an at&t store later this week.
anybody been able to keep their plan with switching phones yet?

skroll

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
i couldnt do it at radio shack yesterday, going to try at an at&t store later this week.

The girl at Costco did it for me just fine. When she set up the phone, she had to change me to the $25 limited plan, but she made a phonecall to AT&T, talked to the proper people, filed a case for me, and my unlimited plan will be put back into effect shortly.

She said she does it all the time.

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

I bought mine yesterday at the AT&T store and they seemed to have no problem keeping me on my unlimited data plan. In my online account, it still shows (with the bubble selected next to "current"):

SmartPhone Personal $30.00 N/A Unlimited Current

It then shows the 2GB and 200MB DataPro for HSPA+/4G Smart Phones below it as unselected options.

_berver

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Bought mine at radio shack yesterday and they were able to keep mine. They just have to have at&t on the phone to let them know while they do the upgrade

tonyflo04

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
AT&T just informed me that since I have an "iphone data plan", I have to choose another data plan that is not unlimited of course. This is getting old! I have talked to 2 different people yesterday and today and got different responses. Who knows what they'll do to us "iphone data" users once we switch. I can almost bet our bills will be higher one way or another though. BS!

I upgraded from my iPhone 3GS (contact started June 2009) with 450 anytime minutes (w/ rollover)/1500 Txt/Unlimited Data. I got my HTC Inspire yesterday with 0 change in my plan, I got my unlimited data and my bill stays the same. If you had unlimited data prior to Jun 2010, you are in the clear and do not have to change data plans.

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Inspire this morning and the computer wouldn't let him let me keep my unlimited plan so he had to call someone. They put me on the 2GB for now and when in a couple of days I'll have my unlimited back. he said the 17th.

tonyflo04

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Inspire this morning and the computer wouldn't let him let me keep my unlimited plan so he had to call someone. They put me on the 2GB for now and when in a couple of days I'll have my unlimited back. he said the 17th.

I went to the AT&T Store do do all this, that would be my 1st recommendation, secondly I would go to Best Buy as well. Some one else mentioned Best Buy was really good at ensuring that unlimited data stayed a part of your plan

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are currently on any of the unlimited plans, 3G data, iPhone or even Blackberry BIS or BES you should be able to keep the "unlimited" part of the plan. They should just have to change the plan type and not the data.

amy78c

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone yesterday at Costco and had no problesms .. they did not have to call anyone or anything .. there is a new name for the unlimited plan now for all of us who haf it and are switching to phones that are not iphones

killingwthasmile

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I dealt with someone that works for AT&T not an authorized retailer and he said since we have ulimited iPhone data and before that we had unlimited Smartphone data that we would be able to keep it. My wife just activated her phone today and he switched her back to unlimited smart phone data.

If you change your plan to one of the other cheaper plans then you lose your unlimited forever (or until verizon offers unlimited again in which case AT&T being their reactive selves will then offer unlimited).

sarstube

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Within the last few years I've gone from (original) iPhone to BlackBerry Bold to iPhone 3G to Captivate and now to Inspire and whether you believe me or not, I only changed my data plan ONCE (going from original iPhone to BB Bold) and since then have been grandfathered into the unlimited plan.

Of course this was a while back so I'm not sure if they became more strict on stuff like this.

Note: If you buy it anywhere other than ATT you may have data problems. It seems they needed to switch my data plan to the upgraded HSPA+ but keeping it unlimited.