Is Google really serious about Android Auto?

ljo13

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I have been using Android Auto for a while now and what really strikes me is the lack of functionality.

Everything Android Auto can do, can also be done with the headunit of my car. Since there is no official Android Auto support in Belgium yet, my headunit even performs better when dictating text messages or making voice calls. Needless to say, I don't need to connect my smartphone using a wire to activate this functionality on my headunit.

Apps are limited to a handful of music and texting apps and it doesn't look like it is going to be any better in the future. I would like to use my favourite navigation or radar app but Google simply does not allow other developers to develop these kind of apps.

Furthermore, it just doesn't look like Google is actively developing Android Auto or making improvements to the app. I was really excited to try Android Auto when my car arrived but I notice that after a month of driving around with my car, I barely use Android Auto because of the lack of applications and their limitations.

This can't be it right? This platform has so much potential so I was wondering what you guys think is missing and what improvements can be made to Android Auto for the future. :)

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I am also asking myself the same question. I love using AA for Maps/GPS but otherwise its just pointless for me.

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I guess each person's expectations and needs are different. For me, AA has been wonderful. There was no need for me to spend a few thousand dollars for Honda's navigation system, my podcasts play, and when I don't listen to SiriusXM my music apps play. So for me, my needs are met.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Could not agree more. While I was excited to use Android Auto, I quickly discovered that my Cadillac Cue system did everything I could do with Android Auto and do it more seamlessly without having my phone tethered to a USB cable bouncing around the car. Disappointed in the functionality of Android Auto

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Jeeze, I kinda like mine. I mean, texts get read to me. I can recite words back to it to reply, or even start a new text. I have spotify, so all i do is say "Play whatever"...and whatever will play.
Navigation is just like the phone, except bigger. Say call whoever, and it will. Press the button and ask google a question, and it will speak the answer to you. I mean, what else do you want it to do? Keep in mind, the whole point of it is to make it safer to use your phone. You will never be able to get facebook on it. You will never be able to tweet. Certainly never be able to watch a video...What exactly are you looking for?
I would however like to hear a beep or SOMETHING when a text comes in, but other than that, I really think it does what it's supposed to do.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I use Android Auto more often than not. I have a Pioneer unit and a Nexus 6p and the combo is flawless in its operation. SmartThings sends me a txt to confirm the house is secure when I leave (or if I left the garage door open), and disarms the alarm when I return.

What I miss... the two big ones are OBD2 dashboards like Dash and OBDLink, and Glympse. Waze is coming so perhaps it will have location sharing built in, cause it is a drag if I'm picking someone up somewhere that I can't easily share my whereabouts with them.

I think Google's seemingly lack of attention is mostly born out of being too cautious with the platform, and not to give any reason for the automakers to shut them out. Once we see more adopters, and the influx of feature suggestions, I think you'll see more movement.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I guess each person's expectations and needs are different. For me, AA has been wonderful. There was no need for me to spend a few thousand dollars for Honda's navigation system.

I also opted out of paying for VW Navigation system and AA Maps works great to replace it. The audio quality using S6, G4 and 6P with AA has been less than stellar, especially compared to my stock audio system.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree that you can do anything Android Auto can do w/ your native in-car system. Yes you can navigate but you can't navigate with Google Maps in-dash. To some, that is a big deal.

I don't know of any in-dash system that supports podcasts. Android Auto supports multiple podcast apps.

My car supports bluetooth messaging natively without Android Auto but I can't tell it to "text my wife" like I can say to Android Auto.

Other things I can't ask my car natively without Android Auto: what's on my calendar for today, is it going to rain tomorrow? What's the status of my flight?

Sorry - just not buying the idea that Android Auto is stale.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I would be OK with the current feature set if Google would focus on making the whole experience rock solid. There are too many glitches posted in this forum among the phone brands and factory/aftermarket head units that make it still feel like a beta even after all these months. It doesn't seem like AA is getting much attention.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Android Auto isn't supposed to be feature filled or improved at a rapid pace. It's supposed to have a minimal design that only lets you do a few functions - phone calls, navigation, music, and messaging. I've been using it since November, and it's much better than a normal Bluetooth stereo.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Android Auto isn't supposed to be feature filled or improved at a rapid pace. It's supposed to have a minimal design that only lets you do a few functions - phone calls, navigation, music, and messaging. I've been using it since November, and it's much better than a normal Bluetooth stereo.
I agree with your design pov, but there are things that needed to be added/fixed that have not been addressed.

1. No fast forward or rewind capabilities.
2. Album Artwork is zoomed in.
3. No way to know what the album is of the current song (I can't voice request an album if I don't know what it is!)
4. Maps has no "alerts only" volume option like the app, it's either all voice prompts on or off.
5. "Starred places" is absent as a menu item so it's not easy to navigate to a saved place (while parked).
6. (This is my car manufacturers fault, but) No separate navigation and music volume. Only way to adjust is with the app (which you can't do while driving) and the only options are "softer, normal or louder". Not very helpful there.
7. No way to dismiss home menu cards
8. No proper support channels. All these ideas and all I can do is add them to the "feedback" in the app, I'm sure those get read...

muse480

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I agree with your design pov, but there are things that needed to be added/fixed that have not been addressed.

3. No way to know what the album is of the current song (I can't voice request an album if I don't know what it is!)
4. Maps has no "alerts only" volume option like the app, it's either all voice prompts on or off.
5. "Starred places" is absent as a menu item so it's not easy to navigate to a saved place (while parked).
6. (This is my car manufacturers fault, but) No separate navigation and music volume. Only way to adjust is with the app (which you can't do while driving) and the only options are "softer, normal or louder". Not very helpful there.
8. No proper support channels. All these ideas and all I can do is add them to the "feedback" in the app, I'm sure those get read...
Or a way to access a calendar...

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I have been using Android Auto for a while now and what really strikes me is the lack of functionality.

As has been said already, the point is not abundance of functionality rather a restriction of functionality because you are driving. That said, the functionality present should work well.

Everything Android Auto can do, can also be done with the headunit of my car.

Not so. Not sure about your car but Android's voice recognition is head and shoulders above all car manufactures voice recognition! Also at least my car has no idea what appointments are in my calendar - AA does. I cannot ask my car's nav to search for things while driving.

Since there is no official Android Auto support in Belgium yet, my headunit even performs better when dictating text messages or making voice calls. Needless to say, I don't need to connect my smartphone using a wire to activate this functionality on my headunit.

Does it really, really matter that you need to connect the USB? I mean get a mount and plug it in. One benefit is that it'll be charging your phone...

Apps are limited to a handful of music and texting apps and it doesn't look like it is going to be any better in the future.

Exactly which other distracting apps are you looking for?

I would like to use my favourite navigation or radar app but Google simply does not allow other developers to develop these kind of apps.

Bull****. Waze is coming. That in and of itself disproves your theory. Truth is Google is not blocking developers from developing their apps. For example, BeyondPod (and many other media apps) works with AA. How the hell is that happening if it is as you say that "Google simply does not allow other developers to develop these kinds of apps"?!? You'd be much better served to, instead of ******** at AA, ******** as you favorite navigation or radar app developers to get on board because it is they who have dropped the ball.

]Furthermore, it just doesn't look like Google is actively developing Android Auto or making improvements to the app.

Not at all. Google has updated Google Maps in a beta program to allow multi stop routes. I have it. But you have to sign up as a beta tester.

I was really excited to try Android Auto when my car arrived but I notice that after a month of driving around with my car, I barely use Android Auto because of the lack of applications and their limitations.

Again, then your best course of action is to ***** to the app developers of the apps you want to see on there.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't know of any in-dash system that supports podcasts. Android Auto supports multiple podcast apps.

I believe Chevy Malibu supports a version of MyLink which has the TuneIn app on board. TuneIn can do podcasts.

My car supports bluetooth messaging natively without Android Auto but I can't tell it to "text my wife" like I can say to Android Auto.

Whenever I tell AA to text my wife it politely reminds me that I'm not married! :)

Other things I can't ask my car natively without Android Auto: what's on my calendar for today, is it going to rain tomorrow? What's the status of my flight?

Indeed! I try to keep an active calendar with social events. Whenever I jump in the car AA tells me of an event coming up and I simply tap for driving directions. My car's nav system doesn't know how to do that.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

Hmmm... In my AA in my car (Corvette 2016) I can FF and REW podcasts and Google Play Music. The FF and REW are functions of the app, not of AA. For example, I use BeyondPod. I've configured it such that pushing the ">" button FF's 30 seconds and "<" REW's 30 seconds. On the Vette the FF and REW are built into the steering wheel. Viola! Easy FF and REW.

For Google Music however the app dictates that pushing FF goes to the next song and REW previous song. However, if you push and hold FF it will FF. Does this not operate the same for you?

If you need to observe "album artwork" then you're not observing the road!

Again, in the vette there's a setting on the DIC (Drivers Information Console) in the center of the dash that will display the album name and track name.

I've heard there are sometimes some different functionality between Google Maps on your phone and Google Maps in AA. I'm sure they are working to make these work.

If it works in the mobile app then simply disconnect your phone and use Starred places then connect the phone and drive.

What I do is before I get in the car I go to Google Maps, find the various places I will be driving today then send them to my phone. They appear as notifications that you can tap and go throughout the day.

As you say - talk to your car manufacturer.

That would be good I guess but what would replace it? If other, older cards then you'll start dismissing them. Now you're f-ing with the your car while you should be concentrating on driving...

What do you call this place? Ok, ok. Let me try another angle... Please tell me where and how I can connect to GM so I can voice my concerns with them in a manner even close to here?!? Really. Now I don't think that Google AA engineers are necessarily lurking here but I bet they know about it and perhaps sometimes read the forum. I doubt the same thing can be said about GM engineers...

ljo13

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Bull****. Waze is coming. That in and of itself disproves your theory. Truth is Google is not blocking developers from developing their apps.

Waze is from Google. I would like to use Sygic and on their forums, one of the developers clearly states that they do not get access to the resources they need to develop an Android Auto app. Even after a couple of requests from their side, Google does not allow other developers to develop navigation apps at the moment.

I also want to run my iCoyote app that allows me to detect police radars but if I connect my phone to Android Auto, I cannot boot the app anymore. I have to boot the app, connect my phone to Android Auto and then try to put the app over the Android-auto screen on my phone by using the quick settings menu. If only Google would allow them to run on Android auto that would fix my problem.

So whatever apps I want to run, they should not limit anything. If I crash my car into a bridge because I was busy on Android Auto, I am the one responsible, not Google.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So whatever apps I want to run, they should not limit anything. If I crash my car into a bridge because I was busy on Android Auto, I am the one responsible, not Google.

The concern isn't you crashing your car into a bridge. The concern is you crashing your car into my wife and kids.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm... In my AA in my car (Corvette 2016) I can FF and REW podcasts and Google Play Music. The FF and REW are functions of the app, not of AA. For example, I use BeyondPod. I've configured it such that pushing the ">" button FF's 30 seconds and "<" REW's 30 seconds. On the Vette the FF and REW are built into the steering wheel. Viola! Easy FF and REW.

For Google Music however the app dictates that pushing FF goes to the next song and REW previous song. However, if you push and hold FF it will FF. Does this not operate the same for you?

Nope, holding ff/rw just skips a bunch of tracks.

If you need to observe "album artwork" then you're not observing the road!

I notice when I glance down, I wonder why the artist's face is so big or cut off on the screen. Glancing down while driving is not a crime, same as looking out the window. I've also looked more intently at stoplights, and it looks weird.

Again, in the vette there's a setting on the DIC (Drivers Information Console) in the center of the dash that will display the album name and track name.

I'm talking within Android auto. There is nothing that shows the album name. Even if I go back to my car's screen with something playing in Android Auto, it just shows track and artist, no album.

I've heard there are sometimes some different functionality between Google Maps on your phone and Google Maps in AA. I'm sure they are working to make these work.

Let's hope so.

If it works in the mobile app then simply disconnect your phone and use Starred places then connect the phone and drive.

What I do is before I get in the car I go to Google Maps, find the various places I will be driving today then send them to my phone. They appear as notifications that you can tap and go throughout the day.

That's a good idea, if you plan ahead. It should still be available in the Android auto app.

As you say - talk to your car manufacturer.

I have. They don't seem to care.

That would be good I guess but what would replace it? If other, older cards then you'll start dismissing them. Now you're f-ing with the your car while you should be concentrating on driving...

I wouldn't do this while driving...please don't assume I'm an irresponsible driver because I want some more features available to me.

Also, hopefully nothing would replace it. It would just not be there until you have something relevant come up.

What do you call this place? Ok, ok. Let me try another angle... Please tell me where and how I can connect to GM so I can voice my concerns with them in a manner even close to here?!? Really. Now I don't think that Google AA engineers are necessarily lurking here but I bet they know about it and perhaps sometimes read the forum. I doubt the same thing can be said about GM engineers...

I don't know if they do, but since no updates, either via a press release or app updates, makes me think they aren't doing anything with Android auto at the moment.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

I wanted to also add that Android Auto is 100x better than the car's infotainment center, but it still needs work. I pointed out some things I've noticed to prove that it is not a finished product, but Google seems to be sitting on it.

If they have something they're working on with it, I really wish they would say something.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys91