Is my S6 a paperweight or any sugestions

stangger

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Hoping anyone can offer assistance. I am going to be as brief as possible while still describing what Ive tried and giving enough detail to see if anything can be done to my phone or if I should just throw it away. :(

A week ago today my problem arose and Ive been out of town and unable to address until now.

I bought an S6 in April of last year. Unboxing the phone it slid out of my hands and the back screen cracked (minor across the corner maybe 1" total) sucked to have a brand new phone with a cracked screen but it was on the abck and everything worked and it was my fault so...whatever.

Phone worked flawlessly until last week. As I had a long flight and left my tablet at home I added a few games to the phone that morning before heading out for my 4 hour drive to the airport. After games were added made numerous phone calls and texts, paired the phone with my truck and was using it to navigate. Stopped to grab lunch and walked into the restaurant with phone in my pocket and it started talking "Turn left. Turn around" etc. When I went to shut off navigation I realized the screen wouldnt wake up.

I tried holding the power button down for an extended time to force a power off with no luck.

Then tried holding the power and volume buttons down and got a "boot menu" asking if I wanted to reboot normal, reboot safe mode, factory reset, power off, other (i dont remember what the last option was but seems there was one more) Tried to just power off. Screen went blank but blue led indicator light stayed on Gave it 10-15 minutes no luck.

Tried holding power button and nothing.

Did the power and volume trick and got the same menu, selected reboot in safe mode thinking one of the games I installed may have been the cause. (never an issue until today, and even though it had worked fine for a couple hours since the game install... I dont know its where my mind went) Phone started to reboot and hung on the samsung screen. Gave it a solid 20 minutes and tried again, same results.

Needing to not be without my phone while gone for a week I went for broke and tried the factory reset and lose all data. Still no joy.

Stopped into VZW, the guy in store (and it was a corp store not a dealer) said because of the crack on the back he couldnt help me at all. But would be glad to sell me another phone.

I always plan ahead time wise but was getting tight now. I had about 2 hours until plane time.

Called Samsung. Was told crack did in fact void warranty and I couldnt send it back without paying for a new screen because they only did compleet repairs. Fine but I need a solution now not mail it off. They opened a "ticket" for a software reboot and told me to take it to any local bestbuy and see a Samsung Experience Consultant and they should be able to access that ticket number and reload the software on my phone. Ok a solution. progress.

Walked into the Bestbuy 10 minutes away found the samsung guy and he was a certfied phone freak. New his stuff. Had a S6 edge and a Nexus 6p he was carrying both to compare.

He plugged me up and went to work. Said he didnt need the ticket number he would fix me right up. Things are looking up.

Step one reload and it freezes about 30 seconds in. he says "That's not good. Im going to have to try something different now"

Does something else phone sits there plugged into his laptop for 10 minutes or so. HE picks it up and does the same button reset I had done several times that day then lays the phone down on the desk in front of me points to an open lock icon and says, "You bricked it when you tried to jailbreak it. Sorry man its likely trash, but call these guys and maybe they can help." (Pulls a stack of business cards out of his pocket and hands me one)

I didnt have time to go anywhere else I was under an hour until boarding so away I flew. Havent had any free time to worry about the phone other than at night in the hotel room. I did leave it unplugged for a couple days until it would power on and then plugged it up. It comes straight to that familiar boot menu from above but freezes instantly and wont even allow the volume buttons to move the menu selector.

I dont know what to do.

I have never tried to unlock this phone, honestly have no interest in doing so. (Im kind of out of the phone craze stage. I carried a Bionic for 4 years before buying the S6 if that tells you my upgrade tendencies.) I feel like the guy at Best buy did something to jailbreak the phone but certainly no proof.

Anyway with all of that back story, any advice?
Should I just toss the phone in the trash can and drop another $300+ on a phone?
Or is there any hope of resurrecting this thing?

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Send it off to Sammy and pay for them to replace the screen. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a new phone. I doubt the Sammy rep in best buy tried to jailbreak your phone. Also if it was a failed jail break then post on that section of the forum. I'm sure someone can help u fix it.

stangger

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks on hold with Samsung now.
Guess I'll be paying for a new screen though they are covering shipping.

I can promise you it wasnt a "Failed jailbreak" but after the best buy visit it now has the unlock icon that it didnt before.

I guess we will see how it plays out. I've been out of the country for 7 days, cant be another 2 weeks without my phone guess Im going to buy something to use until then and then decide which to keep if they can fix it.

ihearlivepplz

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Couldn't have been all that certified of a phone freak if he used the term jailbreak rather than root. And it sucks when they try to push the blame off on you. Well I hope everything works out in the end :)

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks on hold with Samsung now.
Guess I'll be paying for a new screen though they are covering shipping.

I can promise you it wasnt a "Failed jailbreak" but after the best buy visit it now has the unlock icon that it didnt before.

I guess we will see how it plays out. I've been out of the country for 7 days, cant be another 2 weeks without my phone guess Im going to buy something to use until then and then decide which to keep if they can fix it.

When you get a new device, be sure to get device insurance/extended warranties which includes accidental damage. I advise buying at Best Buy as they have the cheapest and best extended warranties for anything - phones, appliances, TVs, etc. Always good to keep a spare phone around, so do get your broken one fixed. Or you could buy a good used S5 to use until the S6 is fixed, then the S5 becomes a spare.