Is the lack of an IR blaster a deal breaker in the Note 5?

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why no IR blaster?

I've had my Note 5 for almost a week now and the lack of IR has been my only gripe so far. I really hope samsung brings it back on the 6.

Posted via the Android Central App

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why no IR blaster?

I can control my TV just fine without it. Can still use TV remote on my phone through the WiFi. The blaster is so unnecessary. Don't need to control the TV in a waiting room, I'd rather watch something on my beautiful note 5 screen for that few mins.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I stopped using the IR blaster once I got a Samsung TV. The TV remote can control everything from my cable box to the stereo receiver.

I also hated the Peel Smart Remote app. I would have the phone next to me and it would light up several times a minute non stop. My Note 4 and Note Edge would both do this. I knew it was the remote app when the phone stopped lighting up once I disabled the app on both phones.

DsM

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Not a deal breaker but an example of Samsung's tone deafness regarding customers.

They wanted the Note 5 to compete with the Iphone. I get it. But if I wanted an iPhone I would buy an iphone.

I've accepted the loss of the replaceable battery because the phone is lighter and easier to hold. But the IR blaster and mhl capability were easy and cheap. Samsung needs to get over this Apple envy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abventz