Is the Note 4 IP67 certified or not?

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys so I understand that everyone was extremely disappointed to hear that the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 device was not IP67 certified. However I was quickly checking my Quick Start Guide and I came across something interesting. So in the safety information, there is a subheading called "maintaining water and dust resistance." Under that subheading in the last paragraph on page 22 it does state that "Your device has been tested in a controlled environment and shown to be water and dust resistant in certain circumstances (meets requirements of classification IP67 as described by the international standard IEC 60529..." So as of now I am a bit confused. No it does not state that the device is IP67 certified, however it does meet its requirements. Therefore is it not technically IP67 certified? I've been looking online for videos on people submerging their note 4 however I can't find anything. If anyone has more information on this please let me know!

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
The fact the battery port is left open and doesn't close like the S5 is kind of a clue....I'm using an Otterbox Commuter series and it has covers for those ports and keeps the phone pretty tight but I don't think it is going to be as resistant to water as the certified ones are....weird how it could technically accomplish some bench test but maybe it's an in house test and not the way you get actually certified or something....but no cover man....no cover....it would not pass the test, I just don't see it. I just came from an S5 and I KNOW that phone didn't have a problem with water...this phone though....hmmmm

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Yah the open USB port was what really confused me. How could it pass IP67 testing without a cover though? Is it possible that they enhanced the port so water would not completely enter the phone only the USB port ,in turn not damaging the phones components? Or possibly even coat it with something? I personally believe this is a possibility as people did complain about the flimsy s5 flap tearing off.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Yah the open USB port was what really confused me. How could it pass IP67 testing without a cover though? Is it possible that they enhanced the port so water would not completely enter the phone only the USB port ,in turn not damaging the phones components? Or possibly even coat it with something? I personally believe this is a possibility as people did complain about the flimsy s5 flap tearing off.

I had to replace that flap after a few months and it wasn't a perfect fit which means not "as" water resistant. The Otterbox Commuter I am using used neoprene to wrap around and then a plastic cover with covers that close over the ports so I feel like it the N4 gets slightly splashed or something it's no biggie. BUT we are not going to be taking under water pictures or dunking them under the sink water to clean them, or even using them in the shower to listen to music.....UNLESS I see a report that suggests other wise. I've dropped phones in water before and they survived. I had a little Samsung Flip Phone like 10 years ago and played water polo with it in my pocket for 30-45 minutes...got out and took it apart and ignored it for a day and it was fine.....PLUS I have insurance....still....I do miss that comfort level.

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The note series handsets, both edge and 4 are both non IP67 (correction?) certified, mainly due to the charging port, the lack of rubber seals on the battery cover, and the insertion/removal of the s-pen.... And to do that they would have to add a rubber sealer of some sort to the s-pen to keep things out.

Who knows, it is possible, so it may appear on a later model down the line

Live life, love life, excel life...

N1 . N2 .. N3 ... N4 #ILE
#ILoveEvolution

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
My question for you is does the s5 have a cover for the headphone jack? If not, why? Would liquids not enter the device from there?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
My question for you is does the s5 have a cover for the headphone jack? If not, why? Would liquids not enter the device from there?

None of the water resistant devices have headphone jack flaps. It's blocked off to prevent damage. Sound might sound muffled til it dries out but damage won't happen through there.

KyleDC

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
That's my point. Would they not be able to do the same to the USB port and s-pen slot? Especially since the s-pen slot is literally a hole. Now I'm not saying that my phone is water proof and I'm going to dunk it in a pool of water. I'm just trying to understand how the galaxy note 4 meets the requirements of IP67 when it has the open USB port, rear speaker and also the s pen, but it is not IP67 certified. I'm sure that if it wasn't water resistant and didn't actually meet the requirements they wouldn't state it in the official manual. dwkdw2V.jpg

Last edited:

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
There's only one way to find out if it is or not. And that's evidently not by debating what the manual says online. Do some water tests and let us know.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reroseroy