Is the Playbook better than the Nexus 7..how?

ffosse

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got the Nexus 7 this morning...this thing is shiny and fast, loving it so far and am busy installing apps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is so close to perfection it's very hard to believe that Blackberry could make a "better" tablet. Plus, Google > BlackBerry for sure.

ffosse

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
It's everything I wanted and all that people say it is.

I re-downloaded the apps I paid for that are on my phone and they all work perfectly. I like the voice controls and Google Now especially.

Mechinikel

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is so close to perfection it's very hard to believe that Blackberry could make a "better" tablet. Plus, Google > BlackBerry for sure.

That's a little out there.

The Nexus 7 is an awesome device, and it's out of this world for it's price. But let's not be overly dramatic about it being so close to perfect. "Perfect" would be a 300PPI display, no screen lift, no freezing, no -insert one of the many issues we read about on this forum here-, 64GB internal storage, HDMI out, rear facing camera, removable storage, 4G, etc. etc. etc.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, thank you..people have been telling me I should buy a Playbook because the 64Gb version is just ?130 or something.. Firesale?

It looks outdated and fugly, I think.
There's a reason they dropped the price by 200 bucks so soon after they released it. ;) Which is pretty much every reason JD mentioned.

glamrlama

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
(This thread has delurked me after many months of reading.) Not sure why people have such a hard time with other peoples choice of device(s). PlayBook is very solid. Does it do EVERYTHING? No. Does your Nexus 7? I doubt it. What is your use case and does the device you are interested in do those things? If it does not then choose a different one. Why do people worry so much about justifying what is typically a $200 (or more or less) piece of what is essentially a disposable technology. Tablets/phones are PERSONAL devices, pick the one(s) that works best for you. If a device is lacking for you then pick another one.

/device agnosticism or bust

quarky_uk

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
The playbook has a lot going for it. Good price, good size, and as quality piece of kit. On top of that, it is a stable os, and the gestures are great. I still occasionally try and use them on here!

Ultimately though, not enough apps, and the apps I wanted were way too expensive compared to android equivalents.

A shame, it should have done much better.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The PlayBook is a failure as far as sales go, but the OS is pretty incredible. Want proof of that? Look at my PlayBook, and my Nexus 7 side by side, The PlayBook with a dozen Android apps running at once and the Nexus 7 with one and a half Android apps running at once. Android apps multitask better on BlackBerry OS than on Android. You want widgets on your PlayBook? Then get Go launcher or Apex and your favorite widget apps and set your home screens how you want. Android's major advantage at this point is the mainstream apps. The OS itself is kinda lame though. The PlayBook and Dev Alpha treat Android like it is just another fart app.

Look at the pictures below. The first picture shows 4 opened Android apps, including Google Maps, But it's actually 4 instances of the Android OS running. In the second pic I took all 4 apps back to the launcher and the home screens so you can see that. The same 4 opened apps, just taken back to the home screen.

Let's see Android try to do something like that. Most Android devices have trouble running one instance of Android. PlayBook can handle several. lol It's insane how capable RIM's new OS is.

I like this. I like this a lot. This capability reminds me of why I wanted to go OS/2 Warp when it and Windows 95 were the hot new games in town - because in OS/2 Warp, I could run multiple standalone instances of DOS and Windows, each with their own loaded kernel and separate memory, plus run actual OS/2 apps.

It is also a lot like why I eventually gave up on the effort and went with Windows until Linux matured sufficiently to be my daily driver. Emulation comes at a significant cost of memory and stability, not all applications are well-supported, and the list of actual native applications for OS/2 Warp never really came to pass.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why people have such a hard time with other peoples choice of device(s)....Tablets/phones are PERSONAL devices, pick the one(s) that works best for you. If a device is lacking for you then pick another one.

I agree with this statement. There will always be fan boys/girls of each device and they will defend them till their dying breath. Not a bad thing but at the end of the day, it's YOUR device that YOU are using. One thing may fit one another better. Not everything is made for everyone. All we can do is give the facts and the decision is made by the buyer. As the statement goes, whatever makes you happy.

Stocklone

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy SII, Galaxy Note 10.1 and a 64GB Playbook. I originally bought the Playbook because I couldn't pass up 64GB for $300. The Playbook OS is far far far superior to Android in terms of user experience. Especially with the latest 2.1 update. People telling you need a BB phone are uninformed since it has email, calendar and contacts apps now. The gesture navigation is what makes the Playbook experience shine. I am always trying to do PB gestures on my Android devices. Multi-tasking is an absolute joy too. The availability apps kill it though. The Playbook has a ton of games. But non-game apps are seriously lacking. I'm hoping BB10 will fix this since there will be one common platform but I don't know. I basically use my Playbook to read my Kindle books, play music and video, surf the web and check email. And the video recording is the best I've ever seen/heard on a mobile device. Picture taking is mediocre but taking video is wonderful. I don't know if I could recommend it to someone as their only tablet with the Nexus 7 out there, but if anyone is a multi-tablet person like me, it's a good one to have in your collection.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
better no...different yes. As folks have mentioned, the OS multitasks a lot better...RIMM gives away games once in a while, and the tasking gestures are great. And they keep updating it. I just got 2.1 rolled out on it the same day I got 4.1.2 for my N7.
Sound is muchhhhhhh better on the Playbook as well, but it's heavier than the N7.
So it's not bad...keeps the family happy when you have more than one tablet user who wants to web browse :)
For the price though, I'd just get two N7's, or hold off and get a Kindle HD or B&N 9" tablet or an iPad Mini for variety.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
One word... no

Rim is a dying company and IMO only bleeding heart fanatics still like them.

I have always hated blackberry/rim products because I always thought they tried to hard to only appease one group of people... the business sector. All of their products look like old PDAs and are almost all geared toward business/professionals. IMO rim doesn't design products that an average every day user would want to buy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Mechinikel

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
IMO only bleeding heart fanatics still like them.

You see, this is what people were talking about earlier with the fanboyism. You are such an arrogant elitist that you can't possibly understand why someone's personal opinion would be different than your own. You are so immature, that you choose to insult them for absolutely no reason...

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
The PlayBook has a vastly superior OS, but (unfortunately) very poor app support. Quite frankly, having owned a PlayBook and a Transformer Prime, the apologists are as thick and heavy over here as there. People on this side have access to a greater array of hardware but constantly excuse the clunky design and extremely poor memory/resource management in even the most recent Google OS. I have yet to handle any Android device that will not at some point lag whereas I could not make the PlayBook even if I tried. On other fronts, PlayBook multitasking is second only to the soon to be released Windows tablets; the interface is a much more intuitive gesture based system; the web browser is better than anything on any Android device but limited by very poor favorites organization; and performance nearly two years later is still better than most quad core Android tablets. It is hard though to get around the weak app ecosystem. As a business oriented device, the gaps on other app fronts are less of an issue and if one owns a BlackBerry, Bridge makes it a winning business option. If you want apps like Netflix and Skype, however they do not exist (same for many other Android staples). FWIW, the PlayBook was killed by RIM's botched launch, poor marketing, over pricing, and numerous delays for OS upgrades. If it had access to a comparable app ecosystem as any Android tablet though, there would be no comparison. It would make the Nexus 7 (for instance) look like a cheap plastic toy. The reality is that is not the case and Android tablets have access to a more robust array of apps. Factoring that in, the Nexus 7 becomes much more attractive even though neither its overall design nor production quality is in the same league....

I agree with you fully, had a playbook but sold it was tired waiting for the updates an lack of overall functionality. Over all the os is the best and smoothest out their. However, if you don't have the content or ecosystem to fuel it, its nothing then a crap shoot. Op your better off with a nexus 7. Also if the ipad mini pricing is correct just another nail in Rims coffin when it comes to tablets and i can really see them going back to phones and dropping tablets all together.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
One word... no

Rim is a dying company and IMO only bleeding heart fanatics still like them.

I have always hated blackberry/rim products because I always thought they tried to hard to only appease one group of people... the business sector. All of their products look like old PDAs and are almost all geared toward business/professionals. IMO rim doesn't design products that an average every day user would want to buy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Your opinion, In reality their are alot of people that enjoy them and their form factors. To each his own. RIM is close to death because they failed to provide the consumer with the functionality they wanted. Had nothing to do with look or feel of the devices. Other then cheep feeling curves Rim has alot of nice designed phones like the newer bolds and torch devices. I loved and still love Rims form factor, its the lack of content and ecosystem that made me leave them for android, and I haven't regretted it yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Everyone says that it multitasks better. What exactly does it do that Android doesn't?

Did you not see the pictures I posted? RIM's new OS is very good at multitasking. Do this with any Android device you own. Open the YouTube app, start a video, then open Pandora and start a song. But wait that video stopped the second you went to open Pandora. What gives? PlayBook doesn't do that, you can just run whatever you want, whenever you want and the PlayBook will let you. There is no hand holding.

On the PlayBook you can have a dozen audio sources at once playing all mixed together. You can have all 4 Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, and Need for Speed all running at once. If you want you can open 8 browser tabs to pandora.com and all of them will play and they don't get killed the second the browser goes to the background. PlayBook has real multitasking, just like a PC, If you want to open enough stuff that the user experience begins to suffer you can. Android has task switching, the same as iOS, you can do what Android or iOS allows you to do, but the user experience comes first and anything that can cause it to slow down will be paused or killed if it is in the background. Like browser tabs that have to be reloaded if they are left in the background while you play a game. That is one thing that really annoys me, and I hate that Jelly Bean still does it. If I leave a browser tab open I don't want it killed while it's in the background. Seriously, how much memory can a couple of browser tabs free up?

But yeah there is a reason why everyone says that it multitasks better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brandiwagner