Is there a free WiFi hotspot/tethering app (infrastructure mode) for Optimus S? Root OK.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I had been using FoxFi for free WiFi Hotspot capability but FoxFi was acquired by the makers of PDANet who killed the use of the old (free) FoxFi app. They charge $8 for a working app but I rarely use the app and have a hard time justifying $8. WiFi Tether (v 3.2 beta-2, by Muller, Lemons, et al) works but only in ad-hoc mode. (In settings, you have to change the setup method to "WEXT ad-hoc".) But I'd like to find a free hotspot app that works in infrastructure-mode (like a WiFi access point) to gain free hotspot capability. Anybody know of one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

gvp

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm using hotspot widget and it works fine (on sprint network...unlimited data). I'm rooted and using reborn rom.

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I was on (Froyo-based) Reborn ROM and was using FoxFi, for hotspot functionality. I don't recall Hotspot Widget working for free. But I switched to (Gingerbread-based) DanteROM because RebornROM (and I think all Froyo-based ROMs) choke and freeze up when more than about 15GB of music is loaded onto the SD card. Keeping my entire (25GB) music collection on my 32GB SD card is far more important to me than the minor difference between ad-hoc & infrastructure hotspot.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-crashing-when-32gb-sd-card-filled-music.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii