Is Tmo's 700MHz LTE only for cellular data?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Additionally, what about non TMO branded phones that have the b12 antenna? I believe the Alcatel Idol 3 has b12 antenna. Assuming it cannot do voLTE, would it still be able to take advantage of data on 700 MHz?

Apparently not--since TMO may ask OEMs to disable band 12. I was wrong when I said 'yes absolutely,' so I wanted to make sure I corrected myself. My apologies for the confusion.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah...it doesn't have voLTE because TMO chose to not carry this phone (how is that not anti-competitive, not giving Motorola voLTE and then asking them to disable band 12 everywhere because TMO doesn't have a lower network around and/or perhaps doesn't want to pay for roaming in some places?)

From the same link:

Uncarrier indeed.

Why is it Motorola--or any other OEM's--problem if voLTE doesn't work for everyone on band 12, as long as the OEMs provide a way to turn it off (which can be as basic as facilitating a hand-off to a lower, non-LTE network for calls?) They aren't marketing this phone specifically for TMO, are they?

BTW, TMO owns PCS block B&C licenses in the Dakotas. Now if they choose not to build towers there or provision them as non-LTE or whatever, again, that's not an OEM's fault.

You act like T-Mobile is the only network with Band 12 and ignore two others in US Cellular and Cspire. The Moto E was designed for a budget market in third world nations. Well I think it is that the Moto E just isn't designed well enough to do VoLTE. With the issue in those stories I don't blame T-Mobile for not enabling Band 12 since Moto didn't make a phone that could do VoLTE.

I want T-Mobile to go 100% LTE as fast as possible and not allow any phone on their networks that doesn't support VoLTE. Let Verizon and the evil AT&T be the carriers for the flip feature phone generation. I want T-Mobile to be the innovated leader in mobile technology and the faster they dump the old 2G and 3G to upgrade to 100% LTE the better.

Frankly I don't even care if Moto is allowed on T-Mobile or not. There are 20 phones that support T-Mobile's VoLTE and Band 12 and another 15 phones that are Unlocked that work on T-Mobile. T-Mobile Devices compatible with 700 MHz A block spectrum

I get a kick out of the endless rants against T-Mobile over these minor almost no one cares issue. If T-Mobile doesn't meet a customers need then fire them and move on in life. I hate AT&T with a passion and hope somehow they are completely destroyed but it sure isn't worth my time to hang out trashing AT&T on their board.

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
BTW, TMO owns PCS block B&C licenses in the Dakotas. Now if they choose not to build towers there or provision them as non-LTE or whatever, again, that's not an OEM's fault.

T-Mobile like most networks don't build towers much anymore and most networks have sold them to American Tower, Castle Tower and others Tower and Cell service companies that put several networks on the towers they own.

America Tower: T-Mobile co-locating gear on Verizon towers we bought

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
You act like T-Mobile is the only network with Band 12 and ignore two others in US Cellular and Cspire.

What does that have to do with anything on TMO? What are you trying to say?

Well I think it is that the Moto E just isn't designed well enough to do VoLTE.

Do you have a source, or just an unqualified opinion? Because the quote I posted above directly contradicts what you think.

With the issue in those stories I don't blame T-Mobile for not enabling Band 12 since Moto didn't make a phone that could do VoLTE.

Again, it doesn't do voLTE because TMO doesn't carry it and the Uncarrier is not about opening up their voLTE to unbranded phones. Name one phone that TMO doesn't carry that does voLTE or WFC on TMO--on any LTE band. I'll wait.

get a kick out or your endless rants against T-Mobile. I hate AT&T with a passion and hope somehow they are completely destroyed but it sure isn't worth my time to hang out trashing AT&T on their board.

Took you long enough to make this personal. Feel free to do whatever you want in the AT&T sub-forum--whether you're their customer or not. FYI (and I'm sure I've mentioned this before,) I do have service through TMO.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
What would be the best way to see if Band 12 is active once I snag the Moto? :p.

I have a LG G4 and there is no way that I can tell what Band my phone is connected to. I could look at the LTE Discovery App that provides the Band but it like all these Apps isn't 100% correct. This is because the Android CellID Application Program Interface (API) inside the Android OS doesn't provide Band # information to Apps. Most people that is in the business claims only the Samsung phones has the service mode that displays the true and correct band the phone is on. I have seen someone post a picture of the Nexus 6 showing a Band in it's service mode. App like LTE Discovery and CellMapper for the most part depend on the network patterns that ID the band. With recent updates to their network, T-Mobile does not follow this common relational pattern.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a LG G4 and there is no way that I can tell what Band my phone is connected to. I could look at the LTE Discovery App that provides the Band but it like all these Apps isn't 100% correct. This is because the Android CellID Application Program Interface (API) inside the Android OS doesn't provide Band # information to Apps. Most people that is in the business claims only the Samsung phones has the service mode that displays the true and correct band the phone is on. I have seen someone post a picture of the Nexus 6 showing a Band in it's service mode. App like LTE Discovery and CellMapper for the most part depend on the network patterns that ID the band. With recent updates to their network, T-Mobile does not follow this common relational pattern.

I do have an app called Signal Check Pro on my LG G4 (International Model not the T-Mobile one) and it shows the band usually at the top left. Such as mine says "LTE 4" right now.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I do have an app called Signal Check Pro on my LG G4 (International Model not the T-Mobile one) and it shows the band usually at the top left. Such as mine says "LTE 4" right now.

Unfortunately is is just an educated guess at the Band # that may be right but it isn't always 100% correct. Just read one of the developers talking about this issue only four days ago on another board that T-Mobile doesn't have a standardized pattern and they aren't always right at displaying the true and correct Band #. I could send you a link but I can't copy and paste here since I got one infraction and suspension on this board for copy and pasting the words of T-Mobiles CFO Neville Ray at a stock conference.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dukyno