Issues setting up my P8P

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had every Pixel phone and did the transfer from old to new every time. I don't remember if it was the same from P6 to P7 but this time there was no cable connection, it was all done over the air.

While my P8P was setting up, the screen kept flickering and timing out. Pressing the power button would keep resetting the transfer. It turned out there was a big system download happening in the background during this. When my phone rebooted during the transfer, half the information didn't transfer over(gave me an error on reboot).

None of my call history or sms history transferred over. None of my Bluetooth devices were saved. Half my apps didn't sign in properly.

The only way get everything back correctly is apparently a factory reset. I literally just spent 4 hours trying to get everything logged in and reset and I really don't want to have to do that. Really frustrating TBH.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had every Pixel phone and did the transfer from old to new every time. I don't remember if it was the same from P6 to P7 but this time there was no cable connection, it was all done over the air.

While my P8P was setting up, the screen kept flickering and timing out. Pressing the power button would keep resetting the transfer. It turned out there was a big system download happening in the background during this. When my phone rebooted during the transfer, half the information didn't transfer over(gave me an error on reboot).

None of my call history or sms history transferred over. None of my Bluetooth devices were saved. Half my apps didn't sign in properly.

The only way get everything back correctly is apparently a factory reset. I literally just spent 4 hours trying to get everything logged in and reset and I really don't want to have to do that. Really frustrating TBH.
Good information. Thanks for sharing.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I'm wondering now if a restore from Google One might be the better way to transfer.

Reactions: wyelkins

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Luckily my update didn't start until after the transfer was done. I'm sorry you had issues. The transfer process over the air did take some time. Both phones were warm, with the screens staying on the entire process.

Reactions: wyelkins

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I ended up doing a full factory reset. Second setup was better. All my contacts and sms were there. Still none of my Bluetooth devices but not sure if that ever transferred over. Also, I have to reset all my sounds for notifications, everything had "none".

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I ended up doing a full factory reset. Second setup was better. All my contacts and sms were there. Still none of my Bluetooth devices but not sure if that ever transferred over. Also, I have to reset all my sounds for notifications, everything had "none".
Did the sound files transfer, if they were custom?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, more feedback to report. Two random reboots. Apps force crashing and screen freezes. Really hope I don't have to do an RMA already.
Damn that sucks, been using from yesterday and no issues here at all. Transferred backup from 7 Pro to 8 Pro during initial setup.

If problems persist may be reset and try fresh. Also, only some apps or all apps? Could those apps not yet updated due to Android 14?

Reactions: J Dubbs

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Damn that sucks, been using from yesterday and no issues here at all. Transferred backup from 7 Pro to 8 Pro during initial setup.

If problems persist may be reset and try fresh. Also, only some apps or all apps? Could those apps not yet updated due to Android 14?
Common apps like Facebook and Instagram etc. All have been working fine on my P7P through all the betas.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Common apps like Facebook and Instagram etc. All have been working fine on my P7P through all the betas.
That sucks, both those apps work fine on my Pixel 8 Pro.

I just found out that one of my expense tracking apps Spendee keeps force closing. Uninstalled and installed again but still doesn't work. That's the only app I have encountered issues till now. It's working fine on my 7 Pro which is also on Android 14.

Reactions: HyperM3

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Did you update the phone there was one available after setting up?
So I believe it was installing while everything was transferring and that made it all hiccup.

Last night I registered and installed the QPR1 on the P8P and this morning during wordle it froze and rebooted.

I know QPR1 is good because I had been running it on my P7P with no issues.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I believe it was installing while everything was transferring and that made it all hiccup.

Last night I registered and installed the QPR1 on the P8P and this morning during wordle it froze and rebooted.

I know QPR1 is good because I had been running it on my P7P with no issues.
It may work for p7p but doesn't mean it will for the work p8p