Issues with Nexus 7, 3G model, mobile data won't stay turned off...

signalexc

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Nexus 7 w/ 3G and couldn't be happier, but having a weird issue, and wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

Once I activated my 3G service (AT&T), I went into settings>data usage and disabled mobile data. I did this because I have wi-fi at home and at work (I work at a University) and don't need it most of the time. However, once I arrived at work, I noticed that my mobile data had turned back on. It happens when I go between different wi-fi networks; I will manually disable mobile data, only to have it turn on again once my nexus 7 connects with a different wi-fi network. I am worried that if I forget to disable the mobile data every time I am in between networks, that once I am out of range of wi-fi, my mobile data will activate and begin eating into my monthly allotment.

Has anyone else with a 3G model experienced this? I am currently running Jellybean 4.2 (most current update) on a Nexus 7 w/ 3G - only had it a couple of days. If anyone has any advice, I'm open.

Thanks.

DannyDefinit

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I run into the same issue with my Nexus 7 3G too. Just like certain cell phones, in order to disable mobile data, you can put the device in airplane mode then turn on WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ocostich

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I run into the same issue with my Nexus 7 3G too. Just like certain cell phones, in order to disable mobile data, you can put the device in airplane mode then turn on WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

That doesn't work either. It keeps coming back on.

DannyDefinit

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't work either. It keeps coming back on.

Let me try to help clear some things up with mobile data on the Nexus 7.

Unless you're in Airplane mode, if there's a Micro SIM in the Nexus 7, it seems the cellular data bars icon is always on.

When you have Mobile Data enabled, you should see a small "H" (HSPA+?) next to the signal bars.
Image-949747946.png

Image120331832.png

When you uncheck the Mobile Data enabled box, the "H" goes away, but the signal bars still show, but you can't connect to the internet.
Image-98391763.png

Image-49134798.png

Irina Flowers

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Got mine Google Nexus last night. I guess the SIM came pre-paid, but I have already spent a good half of data without even knowing it... So sad. Trying the Airplane mode now. I hope it works.

The most weird part is that I didn't have to type in password for the office wi-fi - it knew it. I don't know how. I really don't know. I do have Samsung Galaxy 10.1 - could it be because of it? Magic...

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Google backups your settings online (including wifi). I auto connected to my gfs wifi when I went to her place. No entry required

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ocostich

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
And it still turns itself back on, seemingly randomly. I have tried more than a few widgets for toggling mobile data and airplane mode and have yet to find anything that works consistently.

marleyinoc

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Any updates on this? I'm usually pretty good at finding answers but there's nothing on this... 3G starts on its own. Only workaround seems to be to turn off WiFi then mobile data (so it won't roll over, I guess).

$30 is too much to spend on something I can generally do for free (tether) and while $15 for 250MB is ridiculous (and makes me despise cellular companies all the more) I'm only going to need mobile data on rare occasions. Getting bent over because I can't choose those occasions is infuriating!)

I'm on day two with device. See nothing in Google Nexus Help about this issue. This is annoying enough I'll probably send this back and get the WiFi version.

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 7 3G since laugh with a data plan. I keep it on airplane mode, and have a widget where I turn WiFi on and off. When I need mobile data, I disable airplane mode and have 3G data. Never had problems with cellular data randomly coming back on, so no issues here with airplane mode.

Kadean Gr

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
i have a problem with my nxus 7 3g data, i have a wind mobile sim card inside it recognizes it and says connected to wind, but it says data is not connected? the sim card is active and currently has an unlimited data plan what should i do?

- - - Updated - - -

i have a problem with my nxus 7 3g data, i have a wind mobile sim card inside it recognizes it and says connected to wind, but it says data is not connected? the sim card is active and currently has an unlimited data plan what should i do?

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 7 3G since laugh with a data plan. I keep it on airplane mode, and have a widget where I turn WiFi on and off. When I need mobile data, I disable airplane mode and have 3G data. Never had problems with cellular data randomly coming back on, so no issues here with airplane mode.

This is what I do , but I didn't do it right away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk