Joban's Kernel ICS/GB 2.6.35.14

Status
Not open for further replies.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine is. I have no problems as of yet getting internet. I also have the H symbol. So it looks like I am on 3g.

I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

Ok good then that pretty much confirms my thoughts about jobans .35 kernel. I really wish he would just find a way to get us the source code, it would make fixing this thing way easier.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Beg, plead, pout, cry?

Short of crying I have. Look around the forum is littered with my pleads for his source code or at least what he changed to get his kernel to work. But nothing. I get the feeling im going to be trying this one from the ground up.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have absolutely zero ability to help you.

But way back when there was some discussion about building a kernel which I am assuming that joban got his start from

[Source] LGP506 (AT&T LG Thrive GoPhone) - xda-developers

He was on those forums as jobankler fwiw.

Good luck.

Man I don't know where you found this but that is exactly the information I was trying to find. Using the "Building a Custom kernel wiki" from Cyanogen I should be able to retrace jobans steps using the .35 kernel from the P505 Im trying to get my hands on the source for the Francos P500 kernel right now if anyone comes across it please post a link. I have found source for it but I don't know if its for all of his kernels or what. I would like to use his kernel because of all the tweaks he has done (should run way faster and eat far less battery). I will see what I can do about getting set up to actually compile tonight (lots of updates and libraries to install).

Reactions: albra

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Glad I could help.

I've been on the xda boards for a long time, mostly for my nook color. Was watching it also for the Thrive after I got it. It looked like a couple of people were trying to get something off the ground Raeyne in particular but then got sidetracked. Joban then came along and the rest is history.

The dev Raeyne seemed like a nice enough guy based on his posts, so you might also want to give him a try.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Im will to get help anywhere I can but for some reason XDA doesnt like me. No matter where I post on there I cant seem to get anything to show up the page errors out somehow and never lets me do anything but I will give it another go.

Reactions: mixmax1982

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Im will to get help anywhere I can but for some reason XDA doesnt like me. No matter where I post on there I cant seem to get anything to show up the page errors out somehow and never lets me do anything but I will give it another go.

Just in case, unless you have hit a certain membership level, you cannot post on the development page. You must first post in the general section until you get to 15 posts ( I think) then you can post on the dev page. I would try PM them.

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Man I don't know where you found this but that is exactly the information I was trying to find. Using the "Building a Custom kernel wiki" from Cyanogen I should be able to retrace jobans steps using the .35 kernel from the P505 Im trying to get my hands on the source for the Francos P500 kernel right now if anyone comes across it please post a link. I have found source for it but I don't know if its for all of his kernels or what. I would like to use his kernel because of all the tweaks he has done (should run way faster and eat far less battery). I will see what I can do about getting set up to actually compile tonight (lots of updates and libraries to install).

i already did that! My kernel has all his tweaks and features so this is about the fastest it can go.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
i already did that! My kernel has all his tweaks and features so this is about the fastest it can go.

Well that definitely make life easier then. How did the call to LG go they doing anything for you? Did you do this when you made your kernel?

From cyanogenmod kernel wiki

Compiling wifi kernel module

After installing a custom kernel, the wifi module may be unstable or unusable. The solution is to recompile the module, linking it to the new kernel build.
cd ~/android/system/system/wlan/ti/sta_dk_4_0_4_32
KERNEL_DIR=~/android/kernel/cm-kernel CROSS_COMPILE=$CCOMPILER ARCH=arm make -j`grep 'processor' /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l`
A file named wlan.ko will be produced in the current directory. You must install the new module to the device.
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
adb shell cp /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko.backup
adb push wlan.ko /system/lib/modules/wlan.ko
Reboot the device. If all goes well, you should be using the newly compiled 'wlan.ko'.
For devices which may be utilizing wifi module from vendors other than TI, you may choose other appropriate drivers.

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

I think thats only part of what he is trying to accomplish. The bigger part being the solution to wifi.

In the spirit of all the folks who opensource their code, can we get you to do the same? Especially since you are headed off into the sunset.

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I would but im trying see if you guys can do it yourself. Because right now it seems like you guys arent gonna go anywhere even with my sourcecode. So please teach yourself first.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading everything I can to understand where I need to go with this build. The only reason I am even trying this is because your phone has died and so far no one else that I have seen in here has even done a linux kernel build before. Granted its been years and the last build I did was back in redhat 4 and im sure a good number of details are way different. If you think we are so far off track then guide us in the right direction and let us have all the tools we need to get to the goal. Im sure we can eventually do this with out your source code but why reinvent the wheel. We have been your beta testers and contributors in getting your kernel going please release the source even if we can't get it working maybe there is someone out there with the know-how who can.

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I would but im trying see if you guys can do it yourself. Because right now it seems like you guys arent gonna go anywhere even with my sourcecode. So please teach yourself first.

So then whats the harm in giving him a headstart ?

Arent you the same guy on XDA asking people for their help? If others are willing to help you, dont you think you should do the same?

Originally Posted by jobankler

• So andy can you at least release what you have done for now?
  • can someone tell me what exact files are responsible for the display in the kernel? Mainly the colors of it.
  • why soo harsh buddy? :(
  • aww is there anyway to make it run on the .32? Because I have a P505 with my kernel and all I do is flash my kernel on top after P500 roms. So Andy if you can, please release a .32 too? And ill try...
  • no one answered my question? Will it be ran on a .35 kernel or .32?

Reactions: joban

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Well have you noticed no one ever helped me? I always just taught myself. All my point was you guys wont know what to do with the code so whats the point? So first learn as much as you can and get the stock kernel to compile and then ill help you guys. Sorry for being a dick but thanks thrivin. But now after this i wont be releasing my code

thrivin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Please don't pretend like you were about to release it.

You never were.

I just called you out on it.

I have always respecteded your work and am grateful for all you did.

But it strikes me as against the spirit of everyone helping out for you to hold back, especially when you yourself are asking for help and borrowing theircode.

Didn't you just say that you incorporated Franco kernel into yours?

If so why is that OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.