Just ordered HTC One Google Edition

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if you can afford it, the GE One is better than the N4 in every way. You forgot to add that it has front stereo speakers, a better display, a far better camera, and (best of all) a decent amount of local storage. The N4 is awesome, but the One is much better.

- - - Updated - - -

You get what you pay for.

The One GE is better on paper, but when you actually use it, there are inconsistencies caused by the phone not being made for stock; for example, uncomfortable navigation and a terrible camera.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/android/22426/galaxy-s4-htc-one-google-play-edition-verdict

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
not quite... its not on the same update schedule. this doesnt even make sense? being that they come from HTC, what makes you think they will update as son as google does? although stock, it still has beats and other HTC features that would need to be tweaked... not going to happen. im sure it will update faster than most devices, but nowhere near as fast as a nexus
did you see S4 Ge 4.3 leak??? the software works without issue. do you think HTC is not working on 4.3 for GE edition?? its just not leaked yet that it. so i still believe it will almost be in sync.
max 1-2 weeks

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
All I know is that I called Google Play tech support for devices and she told me that updates come directly from Google, not HTC and that updates release within one week of any new OS releasing. I asked her if she was sure, and she told me thats the whole purpose they were selling the device through the PS.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
what software components for the camera?? all they need is develop a drivers for the camera which they already have in the device(HTC One 4.2.2)
when 4.3 comes out all they have to do is tweak it to fix/improve old/new bugs with 4.3. same with KLP, unless 5.0 is a major change to the core OS.

the last time it happened was from GB --> ICS. I dont think there will be big change to core OS.

did you not see 4.3 on GS4 GE?? do you think that HTC is not working on HTC One GE 4.3??? They are working on it and the update will be out soon.

I agree its not Nexus but it will be close.

This is possible since the devices haven't been released. The GE manufacturers will have nothing to tweak until the final build for the Nexus is completed. With future releases, I doubt Google will withhold releasing final builds for the Nexus while the manufacturers tweak.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
All I know is that I called Google Play tech support for devices and she told me that updates come directly from Google, not HTC and that updates release within one week of any new OS releasing. I asked her if she was sure, and she told me thats the whole purpose they were selling the device through the PS.

And we all know what can absolutely count on what the tech support rep tells us.....[BOX]:p[/BOX]

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused how everyone knows all these things that are contrary to GP support reps...do you guys have someone on the inside or something that knows more than google itself?

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
did you see S4 Ge 4.3 leak??? the software works without issue. do you think HTC is not working on 4.3 for GE edition?? its just not leaked yet that it. so i still believe it will almost be in sync.
max 1-2 weeks

Maybe for a minor update, but no way are they gonna have Key Lime Pie ready in a couple of weeks. Remember, apart from updating the software, they will have to test. At the time the GE manufacturers are handed the build, all building and testing is done for the Nexus.

Still, I would love to have one myself. I have always liked the HTC build, just not to crazy about Sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Google Support is claiming they will receive updates as quickly as Nexus devices. Not sure whether I should believe that or not.

Hello XXX,

Thank you for contacting Google Play Support Team.

Yes, the device will receive updates as quickly as the Nexus would receive updates.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply to this email, give us a call at 855-83-NEXUS(63987) or visit our help center at:

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy&policy=hardware

Regards,

Nia
Google Play Support Team

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible Google released on 2 Google non-Nexus phones because they picked up engineers dedicated to supported those devices. Nexus and the GPe device firmware will be built simultaneously?

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if you can afford it, the GE One is better than the N4 in every way. You forgot to add that it has front stereo speakers, a better display, a far better camera, and (best of all) a decent amount of local storage. The N4 is awesome, but the One is much better.

- - - Updated - - -

You get what you pay for.

I'll pass. Maybe next year for a GE phone. Let them work out the kinks first. Sounds to good to be true.

Posted via Android Central App

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I will be definitely sticking to my Nexus 4 and Nexus devices throughout even without LTE, which by the way has not really made a difference in my daily usage. Don't need the extra internal storage and I love the way the Nexus 4 is built. The glass back is sexy and original looking. I know that others prefer more storage and the aluminum build and it is great that they have the choice. But its not for me and couldn't justify the extra cost. I can save the $250 and put that up for the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The speed in updates will come from not having carriers in between you and the OEM, but the OEM is actually doing the updates. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, these are not stock Android (vanilla) devices in the same way a Nexus is. Each has their originating device's framework still installed with a vanilla look/feel to it. The only ways you're going to see same day releases as with Nexus devices is if Google provides the code to all of the OEMs early in order to facilitate them having it done early OR if Google holds off on releasing Nexus updates until all of the GPe updates are ready.

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
The speed in updates will come from not having carriers in between you and the OEM, but the OEM is actually doing the updates. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, these are not stock Android (vanilla) devices in the same way a Nexus is. Each has their originating device's framework still installed with a vanilla look/feel to it. The only ways you're going to see same day releases as with Nexus devices is if Google provides the code to all of the OEMs early in order to facilitate them having it done early OR if Google holds off on releasing Nexus updates until all of the GPe updates are ready.

Sounds like that is exactly what's happening.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it. Even assuming HTC has gotten it's act together (I am pessimistic, but it is possible), HTC still has to tweak every release for this phone. Their camera has a software component to it for example. I think it will be more like the Droid 1 than like a Nexus device.

It will be interesting to see how dedicated HTC is to keeping it updated. I would definitely have preferred Google updating it...

HTC will get pre release code it will get updates most likely as fast as the Nexus.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible Google released on 2 Google non-Nexus phones because they picked up engineers dedicated to supported those devices. Nexus and the GPe device firmware will be built simultaneously?

Yes, it's quite possible. This is a big experiment for Google, so they want to partner with companies with a lot of experience making Android phones. Having engineers dedicated to the task will help ensure its success. If HTC and Samsung do well, we may see other companies join the program.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's quite possible. This is a big experiment for Google, so they want to partner with companies with a lot of experience making Android phones. Having engineers dedicated to the task will help ensure its success. If HTC and Samsung do well, we may see other companies join the program.

There are already at least two others announced/rumored.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of Sony joining the program. Do you know of another company?

Oppo is rumored to have one for their next release and people are expecting Motorola to, but I'm not sure I buy that. LG is another possibility. Sony is the only one that's actually announced, but I haven't seen a date or pricing.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Oppo is rumored to have one for their next release and people are expecting Motorola to, but I'm not sure I buy that. LG is another possibility. Sony is the only one that's actually announced, but I haven't seen a date or pricing.

I've heard good things about Oppo. One of their phones, the Oppo Find 5, is supposed to have good build quality. (It has steel inside!)

I would love a Motorola Nexus. Motorola has a reputation for making good cell radios.

Didn't LG say they were going to skip the Nexus 5?

Sony is late to the party, as usual. By the time they come out with their phone, most of the world will have moved onto bigger and better things. :'(