Keep my Note 8 or get S9+?

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Liked it a lot. But..also like my Note. And liked the $128 down pmt lol

Yeah, makes sense. I am still not sure if I am going to switch from note8 yet. I really want something a bit smaller. And I am not a big pen user, so the S9 or S9+ is really tempting.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Iam at the fence here as well...using Note 8 SINCE oct and love it...I use the S pen at times...
Does the s9+ has features like smart select and all ...3 things I like in s9+ is camera battery and speakers...just that i have to pay 15k extra Indian rs and then after Note 9 comes out I will be tempted again....I guess I will make my wife upgrade as she is using s7 edge...I will try and control my itch ...
just a quest what's your best battery life in note 8...I can barely make 12 to 14hrs with 4 hrs sot
I have exynos version

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, makes sense. I am still not sure if I am going to switch from note8 yet. I really want something a bit smaller. And I am not a big pen user, so the S9 or S9+ is really tempting.
The S9+ isn't notably (pardon the pun) smaller than the Note 8. You wouldn't notice the difference, me thinks, unless holding them side by side. For many intents and purposes, they're identically sized. ...from my comparison today.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
The S9+ isn't notably (pardon the pun) smaller than the Note 8. You wouldn't notice the difference, me thinks, unless holding them side by side. For many intents and purposes, they're identically sized. ...from my comparison today.
I had both and just returned my note 8 today. I can definitely tell the difference in size between the two. It isn't dramatic by any means. But you can definitely feel the difference. Especially when I put the S9 plus in my pocket.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
J Williams did his 72 hour later review today. He likes the s9 Plus but he still thinks the Note 8 is the dominate phone still between the two. He also states how the s9 Plus is really only 6.1 inches according to what he's read. I think that might be true because when you put the two phones next to each other, the Note 8 is bigger for sure.

He likes the s9 Plus a lot but he doesn't sound overly wow by it. It does look a tad small for my liking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2dv0dWwSU

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
J Williams did his 72 hour later review today. He likes the s9 Plus but he still thinks the Note 8 is the dominate phone still between the two. He also states how the s9 Plus is really only 6.1 inches according to what he's read. I think that might be true because when you put the two phones next to each other, the Note 8 is bigger for sure.

He likes the s9 Plus a lot but he doesn't sound overly wow by it. It does look a tad small for my liking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2dv0dWwSU
There's no problem with the note 8. And you can find reviews or videos or arguments for either side of keep the note 8 or switch. It comes down to personal preference in the end. Basing your decision off what a reviewer says will never work.

flashram

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
The S9 speakers sound better for media playback when both speakers are used but much worse for notification sounds when only the bottom speaker is used. Keeping my Note 8 as being able to clearly hear the notification sounds is more important for me.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I got the S9+ cause i'm just a tech junkie. Also kept my N8 cause I love it to much to let go. If you use the Spen a lot then I wouldn't upgrade. But if not my top reasons to upgrade would be the camera and intelligent scan. Combining both iris and face took care of the issue where it wouldn't work in direct sunlight. Finger print sensor location is hard for me to get use to. I really don't mind the location on my N8. I keep forgetting it's in the center now. The finger print scanner is much faster and set up took literally a half a second! Android O didn't really make a difference, it's the new Samsung experience that shines on the S9+. The stock keyboard and messaging app is 10x better and I can now use all of Samsung's stock apps. They are better optimized than Google's or third party apps. When that comes to my N8 it will be great. AR emoji isn't all that I mainly use the AR emoji GIFs to joke around and creep out my wife. Never had issues with speed or ram on my N8 and the same can be said for the S9+. The 845 is fast. Bottom line is the Spen If you use it a lot then keep the N8. The S9+ to me is just a preview of how much better the Note 9 will be this fall.
This is why I'm wanting Oreo, for Samsung 9.0. Samsung apps are great when they work and are optimized. The S line just isn't a Note though.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
At the end of the day if I were going to get an S9+, I'd probably set it up exactly how my Note 8 is set up with same apps and look, etc and go about my business opening the same dozen apps every day and see practically see no significant "wow" factor in performance or difference in screen quality. For me, it doesnt seem worth the time to switch.

And for me it wouldn't cost anything... I bought my Note using my companies corp account at their price ($460)... I could sell my Note on ebay for probably $600 and the S9+ would probably be around $360 using my corp account again so I'd be making money on the trade. Just not worth the time and effort as well as the trade-off... gain stereo speakers, updated camera... lose S-pen and I have the bigger screen (even though I do like smaller phones).

I'll revisit the question when then Note 9 comes around... and even then if the performance is going to be the same I might skip to Note X. I'd probably do the Note 9 only because of the previous example and probably could sell and buy the 9 same way and break even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0FDA0A5Gvs

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day if I were going to get an S9+, I'd probably set it up exactly how my Note 8 is set up with same apps and look, etc and go about my business opening the same dozen apps every day and see practically see no significant "wow" factor in performance or difference in screen quality. For me, it doesnt seem worth the time to switch.

And for me it wouldn't cost anything... I bought my Note using my companies corp account at their price ($460)... I could sell my Note on ebay for probably $600 and the S9+ would probably be around $360 using my corp account again so I'd be making money on the trade. Just not worth the time and effort as well as the trade-off... gain stereo speakers, updated camera... lose S-pen and I have the bigger screen (even though I do like smaller phones).

I'll revisit the question when then Note 9 comes around... and even then if the performance is going to be the same I might skip to Note X. I'd probably do the Note 9 only because of the previous example and probably could sell and buy the 9 same way and break even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0FDA0A5Gvs
That is a VERY surprising result! The Note8 has better RAM Management :eek:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I’m thinking the difference is due to Oreo and when we get our updates then we will also have same update in way handles RAM management too which may degrade performance a bit but not dramatically.

I find OS upgrades don’t necessarily improve performance... often the opposite since hardware specs fall behind to make use of the improvements in newer OS. It’s the new features that get people excited about the latest upgrade. But honestly I don’t see anything new in Oreo Over Nougat to be excited over. But the difference in specs here shouldn’t make it a huge difference imo.

I just hope they spent the time optimizing it for our Note... my phones been running great and all issues I’ve had seem sorted out and gone. Don’t want to deal with a buggy Oreo... I’m already hearing bugs with the S9 like Samsung Pay not working for some so they are going through their normal new unit bugs to work out... Another reason not worth the trade when after months my phone is finally sorted out.

That is a VERY surprising result! The Note8 has better RAM Management :eek:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I went from 7 edge to an unlocked Note mainly for camera and the 6 gigs of ram over the s8 plus and it was the latest at the time. I am not really into the Note series and don't use the pen hardly at all. Did in the beginning to play around with live messaging. I have reasons to want the S9 plus and was offered 550 for my Note but I would have to pay the difference get new screen protector and case. I thing the AR Emoji sounds cool and no one knows for sure if it will come to the Note after the Oreo update but the dual speakers with Dolby Atmos and supposedly a better camera with the slow mo and the fingerprint sensor plus the iris face scanner are reasons I want to switch but I love the note otherwise it's fast just don't use the pen and hate where the fingerprint sensor is. Just got the note a few months ago should of just waited.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Sold my Note 8 to get the S9 Plus. Kept the S9 Plus for almost a week before exchanging for a Note 8. The S9 Plus has an awesome camera, but as minuscule as the screen size difference is, I just missed the size of the Note 8. I just need to accept the fact that the only time I'll be upgrading devices is when the new Notes release each year.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Note 8 camera is definitely better than the S9+. When the 1.5 aperture kicks in in low light you lose all kinds of detail and a lot softer shot. I hope they fix this with a software update. The lack of badge notifications or better yet the inconsistent badge notifications are super annoying also. There are other little things as well that bug me about the S9+ that I hope doesn't make it's way to the N8 Oreo update. It sucks because I really like the FPS placement and stereo speakers on the S9+ but until the little quirks get ironed out the N8 will remain my primary device.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Note 8 camera is definitely better than the S9+. When the 1.5 aperture kicks in in low light you lose all kinds of detail and a lot softer shot. I hope they fix this with a software update. The lack of badge notifications or better yet the inconsistent badge notifications are super annoying also. There are other little things as well that bug me about the S9+ that I hope doesn't make it's way to the N8 Oreo update. It sucks because I really like the FPS placement and stereo speakers on the S9+ but until the little quirks get ironed out the N8 will remain my primary device.
I am running Oreo on my Note 8. Badge notifications across all kinds of apps have been perfect for me. It's the one feature that I appreciate most after upgrading. Oreo is running very smooth. I had one issue, and that was not being able to stay connected to my Microsoft Display Adapter any more. I switched to a Chromecast for now. I expect an update to either Oreo, or the adapter should fix it. Aside from that, zero complaints about Oreo.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am running Oreo on my Note 8. Badge notifications across all kinds of apps have been perfect for me. It's the one feature that I appreciate most after upgrading. Oreo is running very smooth. I had one issue, and that was not being able to stay connected to my Microsoft Display Adapter any more. I switched to a Chromecast for now. I expect an update to either Oreo, or the adapter should fix it. Aside from that, zero complaints about Oreo.

Good to hear that Oreo is running good on the N8. I just hope they fix the issues on the S9+.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia