Keep note 3 or get Nexus 5

mspace81

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I think it comes down to what do you want most in a phone, besides the basics, and which one will fit your needs best. I have had a nexus phone and really do prefer the note series. I like many of the features Samsung offers that just aren't on a nexus. A nexus is great if you are gonna root and use custom roms. I love the screen size of the note series and the spen.

Posted via Android Central App

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You are confusing the physical restriction with smart, tactical restriction, which normal people happily fall into.

Google doesn't need to post a note yelling at people, it produce a "smooth experience" with backdoor information manipulation without you knowing it.

Go ahead enjoy Nexus 5 if you want.

@T-Mobile GN3

Google doesn't need the Nexus line for that. If you think you are safe from Google data mining by having a Samsung carrier subsidized phone more power to you. I seriously think you are wrong. I trust att allot less with my info then google. Loading all those crappy free ware games is a much bigger risk.

Another thing to think about is the community that supports customizing the Nexus devices would go up in arms if anything nefarious was happening.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

putsometrebleinit

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If you think you are safe from Google data mining by having a Samsung carrier subsidized phone more power to you. I seriously think you are wrong. I trust att allot less with my info then google. Loading all those crappy free ware games is a much bigger risk.

I don't, for one second, trust any company to keep my info safe, especially not a company who's major source of revenue is advertising. Anyone who uses a smart phone or the Internet shouldn't either. But I would rather cut off my left arm than give up the technology, so I guess it's all one big tradeoff that I'm okay with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
NOTE 3!!

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk
Yup, same here. I am a 18 day old Note3 newbie.. Newbie at smartphones, although I did have an S4 briefly for a week, returned it because I wanted 32gb..

The Note 3 is a blast..The only way I move away from the Note 3 will be for a Note 4, or and S5. That is if the S5 tops the Note 3.. Right now, with the Galaxy Gear and Note 3, I am in Smartphone Heaven.. :D

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Google doesn't need the Nexus line for that. If you think you are safe from Google data mining by having a Samsung carrier subsidized phone more power to you. I seriously think you are wrong. I trust att allot less with my info then google. Loading all those crappy free ware games is a much bigger risk.

Another thing to think about is the community that supports customizing the Nexus devices would go up in arms if anything nefarious was happening.

I would rather have a middle man with significant modification in this case. Rather than going naked Google.

The customize community have been extremely receptive with every move made by Google to close up the source code of many crucial apps, Google had been feeding them small candies to get them away from AOSP and into their closed apis. I have zero trust in them up in arms against anything Google does.

Google sure knows how to cultivate the good name they built for themselves to get people willingly jump into its Google world and hand over private informations, sure some people do not care and consider it is fair price for living in the cloud, but I do.

@T-Mobile GN3

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It isn't that I don't worry about it, but I that I am not naive enough to think that middle man will make much of a difference. Data mining is in every nook and cranny of the Internet. To think that your phone choice is going to reduce that by much isn't realistic.

I guess my perspective is a little different. I have dealt with Web based stuff enough to know if you are on the Web at all you have already handed over to much.

At least Google is being regularly scrutinized because of their size. These ***** services like caller iq can collect our data and we never know. The fact we buy the phone from the carriers is also concerning because who knows what stuff they are mining from the phones.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
That is a good point, this day and age, short of unplug yourself, the info is being spied on. Carriers are no saints in this situation.

That being said, for me personally, I would rather put my stuff in more than one baskets, and I have been getting concerned about Google 's aggressive moves to get in to every aspect of people's digital life.

@T-Mobile GN3

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would keep the note 3.

Shame the nexus doesnt have a sd card slot.

Typed out on my Note 3 Phablet

I'm sure the Nexus 5 isn't a bad phone, and it may be the best Nexus phone yet. However, I can't imagine what it'd possibly have to make it better than the Note 3. ...just different. Now, is the Note 3 worth more than 2x the price of the Nexus 5? I kinda doubt that too.

octobermagic

Jun 9, 2010
www.facebook.com
I will get a Nexus 5 while I already have the Note 3. If I prefer one quite a bit over the other, I will sell one. If I can rationalize keeping both, I will do that. Resale of either phone will be fairly easy without too much of a loss.

This is what I'm doing. I've grown to LOVE the Note 3. but if the sound quality from music from the Nexus 5 is similar to what I heard on the G2, I may switch.

Last edited: