ARCHIVED: [Kernel] Picasticks OC kernel built from LG source for Optimus V

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding button swapping issues, the kernel itself has the buttons mapped correctly. However, if you're flashing this over another kernel that changed the thunder_keypad.kl button map file, or if you were using ButtonRemapper to do it (which changes that file), that file overrides the internal kernel mapping. So it's now swapping the otherwise-correctly-mapped buttons.

picasticks, you might want to include the original kl file so that this isn't an issue for people installing this kernel who have a kl file with the buttons remapped to fix a kernel that didn't map them correctly.

I can confirm this. My buttons are mapped correctly.

Reactions: picasticks

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Regarding button swapping issues, the kernel itself has the buttons mapped correctly. However, if you're flashing this over another kernel that changed the thunder_keypad.kl button map file, or if you were using ButtonRemapper to do it (which changes that file), that file overrides the internal kernel mapping. So it's now swapping the otherwise-correctly-mapped buttons.

picasticks, you might want to include the original kl file so that this isn't an issue for people installing this kernel who have a kl file with the buttons remapped to fix a kernel that didn't map them correctly.

Thanks very much for the explanation (now you can also ignore my speculation in a post on the source code thread about 10 mins ago). It made no sense to me that the V kernel source could be wrong.

Can you (or anyone else) please send me an original thunder_keypad.kl file (and a modded one if you have it)?

I pulled the one from my S, it's /system/usr/keylayout/thunder_keypad.kl and I will also try to pull one from a V ROM, ButtonRemapper or some other V project here.

It's very easy for me to just put the original .kl file into the .zip updater, and have it overwrite whatever .kl the phone has installed. And, if all people are doing in these files is swapping those two keys, then that's fine. But, if you think people are doing lots of different button modifications, then I would also be clobbering all of those mods.

So, I would appreciate advice from the V community on whether you think it is a good idea to have the update.zip restore the original .kl file (possibly undoing other mods to the hardware keys) or just leave it alone (the way it is now, which means people have to undo the button-swap themselves).

Hopefully, at some point all kernel devs for the V will just fix their kernels, so people won't have to hack this file in the first place.

Last edited:

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Here's the file. This is from the original V stock system image.

Honestly, I don't think very many people are modding buttons beyond those two, and then it's usually done at the kernel or ROM level so most don't realize it. If anyone is messing around with lots of button maps on their own, they're using the Button Remapper app to do so, and it's fairly easy to reset. Takes like 3 seconds.

I would definitely suggest putting the kl file in the update.zip, then editing your updater-script to print out a couple of lines saying the buttons were reset to stock.

Since a "pure Virgin" kernel is fairly new, most people will have their buttons swapped from using a kernel derived from the LS670 sources.

Reactions: picasticks

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's the file. This is from the original V stock system image.

Thank you! I PMed you that I had a question about this, but guess I don't anymore. Here is a diff of the LS670 file I pulled to compared to the VM one you sent. It looks like the key mappings are the same, just a bunch of wake parameters are added:

Code:
--- ls-thunder_keypad.kl        2011-04-16 17:16:51.749026950 -0400
+++ vm-thunder_keypad.kl   2011-04-16 20:49:00.000000000 -0400
@@ -9,13 +9,13 @@
 key 9     8
 key 10    9
 key 11    0
-key 158   BACK              
-key 230   HOME              
+key 158   BACK              WAKE_DROPPED
+key 230   HOME              WAKE
 key 60    SOFT_RIGHT        WAKE
 key 62    ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED
-key 229   MENU         
-key 59    MENU         
-key 139   MENU              
+key 229   MENU         WAKE_DROPPED
+key 59    MENU         WAKE_DROPPED
+key 139   MENU              WAKE_DROPPED
 key 228   POUND
 key 227   STAR
 key 231   CALL              WAKE_DROPPED
@@ -24,7 +24,7 @@
 key 108   DPAD_DOWN         WAKE_DROPPED
 key 103   DPAD_UP           WAKE_DROPPED
 #key 102   ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED
-key 102   HOME              
+key 102   HOME              WAKE
 key 105   DPAD_LEFT         WAKE_DROPPED
 key 106   DPAD_RIGHT        WAKE_DROPPED
 key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE
@@ -33,7 +33,7 @@
 key 355   DEL               WAKE_DROPPED
 key 212   CAMERA
 key 247   FOCUS
-key 217   SEARCH            
+key 217   SEARCH            WAKE_DROPPED
 key 216   VOICE

key 226   HEADSETHOOK       WAKE

Then, this is a diff from the stock VM file to one I pulled from Aphrodite, showing the key swap since Aphrodite uses an S kernel:

Code:
--- thunder_keypad.kl   2011-04-16 20:49:00.000000000 -0400
+++ ap/system/usr/keylayout/thunder_keypad.kl   2011-04-01 15:52:16.000000000 -0400
@@ -15,7 +15,7 @@
 key 62    ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED
 key 229   MENU         WAKE_DROPPED
 key 59    MENU         WAKE_DROPPED
-key 139   MENU              WAKE_DROPPED
+key 139   HOME              WAKE
 key 228   POUND
 key 227   STAR
 key 231   CALL              WAKE_DROPPED
@@ -24,7 +24,7 @@
 key 108   DPAD_DOWN         WAKE_DROPPED
 key 103   DPAD_UP           WAKE_DROPPED
 #key 102   ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED
-key 102   HOME              WAKE
+key 102   MENU              WAKE_DROPPED
 key 105   DPAD_LEFT         WAKE_DROPPED
 key 106   DPAD_RIGHT        WAKE_DROPPED
 key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE

So I think it's pretty clear what's going on.

Anyway I'm testing some tweaks to the kernel so when I put out a new version I'll probably throw the stock thunder_keypad.kl in.

That means speak up now if you don't want my kernel to clobber your custom key mappings back to stock.

That was the only bug report on the kernel AFAIK so I guess that means picasticks-06 is looking pretty solid!

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
How does this new Kernel compare with Xionia kernels?

This gets discussed in the thread for the S version of the kernel. Zefie has a rec on page 7 to go with this kernel for LG-based ROMs and Xionia for Cyanogen-based ROMs. Which also makes sense to me, so I put it in the top post.

The project goal is "stable with high performance" and compatibility with the LG kernel and OS. So, less experimental and smaller than Xionia.

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Accelerometer doesn't seem to be working with the browser

If you think this is related to the kernel, please provide full info including ROM, cpufreq governor and max clock rate, and steps to recreate the problem (what you were doing and what happened).

Just reread the thread and saw you're running AOSP ... see top post, the kernel is recommended and only "officially" supported for LG-based ROMs, not Cyanogen. You're welcome to post more info here but you will not be getting any attention from the developer, sorry. :(

Last edited:

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Cool, smaller could run cleaner?

I'm having issues so I am going to give this a try... RIGHT NOW!!! lol

First boot
Rodimus Rom's Boot Animation works now!!!! It's very pretty, lol.

My Button's got swapped.

Second Boot
Boot Animation starts slow, then speeds up then BOOM Into the phone, AKA FAST BOOT!! Way faster.

Last edited:

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I was using Xionia 013, before this, and so how do I fix my swapped buttons lol.

Flashed mmarz fix from his thread

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...nel-v014-v008-v005-optimus-v-4-13-2011-a.html
See obijohn's post back a page or two ... he posted the original thunder_keypad.kl which you can put back on your phone to restore the original button mapping. My kernel is built from VM source so no button-swap is necessary, unfortunately lots of people have already swapped their buttons!

Anyway I am going to put out a version that puts the original thunder_keypad.kl back in place, but it won't be out for another day or two.

Reactions: drezliok

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
See obijohn's post back a page or two ... he posted the original thunder_keypad.kl which you can put back on your phone to restore the original button mapping. My kernel is built from VM source so no button-swap is necessary, unfortunately lots of people have already swapped their buttons!

Anyway I am going to put out a version that puts the original thunder_keypad.kl back in place, but it won't be out for another day or two.

I'm tried to flash it. No Signature.

not too sure as to how to get it to where it needs to be and I am up past my bed time. My kids will be up in 4 to 5 hours and I need my sleep.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Good thing I decided to refresh before going to bed.

Damn... FAILED

Another post lol, don't want to spam.

I can overclock alot more now too but I will do further testing later.

Last edited:

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Reflashed RodimusRom, my accelerometer works just fine now. The button swap is still here but I will live with it, this kernel is very smooth and faster. My benchmarks are not as good as Xionia but real time use faster and more stable.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm tried to flash it. No Signature.

not too sure as to how to get it to where it needs to be and I am up past my bed time. My kids will be up in 4 to 5 hours and I need my sleep.

That's not a flashable zip. Just unzip it to get the thunder_keypad.kl file (I couldn't attach the .kl file directly since that's not a recognized attachment extension by the board). Remount /system as rw, then put it in /system/usr/keylayout/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201