Kit Kat 4.4.2 update broke mobile data

zuren

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to search the forum but I fear I'm not using the correct search terms. Forgive me if this is/has been discussed.

I have an unrooted Galaxy S3 on Virgin Mobile (Sprint) that received the Kit Kat 4.4.2 update yesterday. Everything worked fine post-update until I powered my phone down last night, now my mobile data is not working. WiFi works but once I'm out of range to where it should switch to 3G/4G, there is nothing (no connection, no 3G/4G icon). I did some general Google searching and found that this happening to others but the answers have little consistency. Some people said a reboot solved it, others pulled their battery, others took their phone in to have a patch installed, others recovered back to 4.3. Things I've tried:

- Reboot (several times)
- Power down and pull the battery
- Toggle airplane mode on/off
- Toggle mobile data on/off
- Contacted Virgin Mobile customer support - awaiting a response

I'm looking for other suggestions before I perform a factory reset, that I believe/hope will take me back to 4.3 if there is no other corrective action I can take. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Please note that a Factory Reset will NOT revert the firmware to an earlier version. It will wipe the data from your internal memory (content on an SD card, if present, will be untouched), after which you will have to go through the standard setup process (pick a language, enter your Google account information, etc). The Google Play Store may start automatically downloading/installing your apps, and will reload whatever synced data you have (contacts, etc). But you'll still have to setup your Home screens and preferences. And of course all of your Candy Crush Saga progress will be lost.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I just set my phone permanently to 3G and home wifi to static IP and that seems to work.

Sent from my "no longer 120° or battery guzzling" Sprint Galaxy Nexus, thanks to help from the AC forum

ELW1stcornet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. I did get the 3G back by going to settings -> mobile networks ( I think, could be similar name) and select CDMA only option. After rebooting I have 3G. I had the same problem once before with Jelly bean and I did complete restore of OS to get it back. I hope someone else knows more.

Eric

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien