LectureNotes - Series of How-To's - Links to Instructables

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I have begun using LectureNotes for everything and want to share my process as I go along.

I don't currently have access to a camera, so I am making my how-to's on instructables.com

My first instructable starts a little further along than beginner because of a question from another forum member.

How to import a PDF as a Notebook in LectureNotes for the Samsung Galaxy 10.1

**Skip to Step 7 to see how to add additional multi-page PDFs to an exisiting notebook.

Import a PDF as a note in LectureNotes on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Working on an instructable with my preferred LectureNotes settings, and how to move your LectureNotes document directory to a folder of your choice or the external SD card.

I made a couple of updates to the first instructable, and as of 5:20pm 3/29/13 EST ASTRO file manager has been updated by the developer and is working perfectly again.

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why, but the folks at instructables briefly removed my second instructable because I was missing one image. It's back up now... for now. Haha.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Well done! (Thanks, too, for using Instructables...didn't know that site and it looks like a great resource!)

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Well done! (Thanks, too, for using Instructables...didn't know that site and it looks like a great resource!)

Yeah its a great site, I've used many of their instructables for other projects.

I'm not sure about this recent 'de-publishing' for a mundane omission on my part through. I would have much rather of had the chance to be notified, fix it and republish it without it being taken down. If they don't want certain things omitted then I shouldn't be able to publish it without prior approval, since I had already had the opportunity to give out the link.

Thanks though!!

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
But of course! Btw, sorry for the mis-matched order of how-to's and posts. I tend to think of making a how-to directly when I figure out how to do something, and forget that my order-of-operations are probably not quite as linear as others.

My reasoning for choosing LectureNotes rather than S-Note are primarily based in my style of note-taking and the feature set LectureNotes has. I tend to grasp things better when I hand write, and I don't have much necessity for the handwriting-to-text recognition in S-Note. Although I hope handwriting-to-text and general text in LectureNotes improves with successive releases as the developer has indicated it would. The developer is highly responsive and constantly adds new features and offers his assistance.

LectureNotes to me seems to shine most in the arena of being better suited to notation and note-taking freehanded. I will break down an itemized list of features I appreciate in LectureNotes:

- Stylus recognition and detection works much better in this app, it completely disables touch input within the workspace, and orients all toolbars that can be touched at the top of the screen where my fingers and the side of my hand will not come into contact with them. There are no icons at the bottom right that I can touch like the add page and disable touch input buttons that are in S-Note. You can also optionally disable the system's back key so you can't accidentally exit a note, and if you happen to be rooted (I am not) you can also disable the entire system bar so you don't accidentally hit the home key or notification panel.

- I can add additional single or multipage PDFs anywhere in an existing notebook after initially adding the original PDF (See Step 7 of the first tutorial).

- More options for orienting the PDF in a Notebook, allowing it to resize the notebook pages to the PDF, or placing a smaller PDF where you choose on a standard A4/Letter notebook page.

- Quick access Layer menu so you can draw on a different layer than your PDF or Image underlay, and not erase the underlay when you erase your notations on the overlay.

- Allows you program the S-Pen button to a tool, like the eraser, and add the option for that to be a 1-click tool that reverts to the previously used tool after using the eraser.

- Allows you to resize the built-in template for ruled or gridded notebook pages (S-Notes ruled line templates are way too spaced apart for my handwriting)

- I feel that it has smoother recognition of the S-Pen and my new Bamboo Stylus Feel

- Allows for page indexing to make pages searchable by user-set keywords

- Cutter tool allows you make a freehand or rectangular, cut or copy of any part of a note, and move it to another part of the notebook or another notebook altogether without carrying the template lines behind it (like a screenshot copy/paste would do)

- The optional 'Show Pencil Toolbox' keeps a floating toolbox up that you can move around and quickly change between the preset pencils, custom pencils, and vector shape pencils on the fly without constantly opening a drop down panel (biggest gripe with the interface of S-Note as I constantly change pen types and colors)

- If you make a custom pencil that is a highlighter, you can quickly highlight text and swap back and forth with the pencil toolbox. The custom pen also allows you to indicate whether you want rounded or flat ends, and doesn't make that darker end to the highlight tool in S-Note

All in all the features are numerous and great, although it takes a bit of a learning curve to get used to it. Eventually though the learning curve is rewarded with a far greater feature set and application customization. The app is not ready for users that type or use handwriting-to-text often, and is primarily geared toward freehand notes and notation. If that describes you then definitely consider this app. I'll add more features I like as I go along, and please do offer me feedback on my how-to's and let me know how I can help you!

**Disclaimer: I no longer use S-Note at all so I don't know if any updates have added these features to S-Note.

jhbacon

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Lecture Notes seems easier to write with due to its almost instantaneous recognition of your writing strokes. S Notes appears to have an ever so slight delay in transferring the text to the page.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have done several multitude page projects with Lecture Notes and rendering might be an occasional issue and yes, the auto save feature does kick in on occasion. I no longer use Snores.

A walking survey with pictures and notes goes s long way in doing projects and reports.

Sent from my Sprint Note 2 via Tapatalk.

ryansmithwvc

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful instructables. I also noticed that S Note does not offer a landscape oriented ruled paper. Lecture Notes does, which is great for when its connected to a landscape oriented screen and projector and you need ruled lines to keep your presentation writing clean and straight.

gamecockn

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

New to the Note 10.1, finding it very useful so far.....espeicially with the addition of the Lecture Notes App .

Many Thanks to milessthomas! For the Instructables too! Very helpful.

Regards

jorang

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
In my Lecture Notes the pdf pages are shown with no page break shown or indicated.

I there a way to make the page breaks visible?