Let's be honest here , who's trading in their X for s3?

anon(4735768)

May 6, 2012
Visit site
The absolute worst thing thing is that damn menu button tho.

Blame Google not HTC, the software menu key is the new advised standard for ICS, if an app is showing the button its the developers fault for not upgrading their app.

Dedicated hardware menu buttons are considered legacy and Samsung isn't following the design standards set by Google with ICS by including one. HTC did what they were told for once.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it does take Developers slightly more effort to incorporate that menu button, yes? But at least we can take solace in the fact that it has been around since the first Galaxy S phone. It's not a new problem.

Capt Gary

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Already have a GIII reserved. Iv had a OneX for 3 weeks. I'm on #2 already. Tis one has bluetooth issues. All sorts of phone connections too. All I know is for a camera, the 1x is grteat. after tha, I'm not 100% impressed... I do make phone calls & work email, so thats an issue... Mine goes back next Wed / Thurs. No doubt
Capt G:cool:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think it does take Developers slightly more effort to incorporate that menu button, yes? But at least we can take solace in the fact that it has been around since the first Galaxy S phone. It's not a new problem.

I would think it depends on the app, honestly, but I'm not a dev so I don't know.

yeah yeah

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm still within my 90 return policy at Costco, and the website is saying that they should have their S3 on the 21st. My only thing...the Beats Audio. The sound is good when I connect the phone to my car. When I had the S2, the sound was ugh...

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm still within my 90 return policy at Costco, and the website is saying that they should have their S3 on the 21st. My only thing...the Beats Audio. The sound is good when I connect the phone to my car. When I had the S2, the sound was ugh...

Bought a phone last year from Costco and my understanding was the 90 days was only to completely cancel your phone service with the carrier?

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I would think it depends on the app, honestly, but I'm not a dev so I don't know.

Just saying that current games or apps that are on the Galaxy S and S 2 play store should be portable to the S 3. There should be no changing of code in regards to the main menu button. So, you are right to say it's the apps.

In my understanding even apps that do not overtly accommodate a menu button like the Galaxy S family does, do have some form of mapping that fits in perfectly, meaning Samsung has got that figured out.

The thing is ICS was created with onscreen buttons exclusively, as designed by Google. HTC's implementation was to use capacitive buttons to do the same. Samsung however designed the S3's buttons even before ICS was released, so they aren't really at fault. It could have been solved by good manufacturer and Google developer communication.

It most likely requires a little more work on the part of the developers to continue adapting their control schemes to support the S3, and that is a byproduct of Android being open source.

Last edited:

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

The original Galaxy S had a wolfson DAC and when you root it and add voodoo sound, it sound really really good. When Samsung made the galaxy s2, the only area where they cut cost was in the sound chip. Developers didn't even bother to make a voodoo sound kernel for it.

The Galaxy S3 will use the wolfson DAC once again, and people argue that it should sound better than Beats audio since Beat's is nothing more than a software enhancement that has automatic presets depending on the type of music is plays.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Tell me your usage patterns so I have a better picture...

Firstly, there is no way you can lose 10 percent of the battery every hour on sleep mode. Does not compute unless you run intense background apps like, say, a torrenting app.

I, myself, get about 15-16 hours on heavy use, and I have the latest update which helped the battery front alot especially lately. I'm a heavy user and still am seeing 10 plus hours on my HOX. Not dumb phone levels but does the job for me day to day.

AT&T folks should talk to this.

Sure. I performed a reset of my phone and only setup my google account. I changed no other setting and installed no other apps. It just was syning my google account. Picked up the phone ever 30 minutes or so and the battery was going down to what was about 10% and hour. I turned off auto-brightness and wifi and it started dropping at about 8% an hour.

It is going back as there has to be something wrong with it. Unless you beleive the idiots that manage the HTC email support. Then according to them it is normal.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Everything about this post is completely false and based on fanboy opinion.

The increase in RAM on the S3 is to compensate for TouchWiz running on the dual core LTE chip. You won't be faster at anything and likely won't see any more free memory then you have on the HOX.

Ram doesn't equal speed or performance boosts. You'll also drain your battery faster.

Sorry you're wrong, learn how basic processing and memory allocation work with software. Also educate yourself on how ICS is designed to use memory.

When you're finished then take a trip down quad core and dual core lane and you'll understand why the dual core ships with 2gb and the quad core ships with 1gb for the same software configuration. Samsung didn't give dual core handset owners an extra gig because they wanted to be nice, it's because their dual core version of the S3 running TW requires the extra resources to operate as smoothly as the quad core 1GB model. These are really basic concepts.

Soooo...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...sprint-event-showing-off-gs3.html#post1850680

Quote:
And nother comment I made to Chris, "Holy crap, it's using 437mb of RAM and there's still 1.2GB free!"

I think this needs more attention. The Galaxy S 3 uses only 437mb of RAM which makes it less resource intensive than Sense 4.0, which makes your assumption about how the phone needs 2 gigs of ram to run as smooth as the One X completely false. As seen in videos the international version runs smoother than the One X.

Do you have anymore nonsense you want to spew out of your mouth sir jburkco?

yeah yeah

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Bought a phone last year from Costco and my understanding was the 90 days was only to completely cancel your phone service with the carrier?

30 days to return the phone back to Costco and cancel the phone service. 90 days to return just the phone back. That's what the guy told me...

yeah yeah

May 7, 2011
Visit site
The original Galaxy S had a wolfson DAC and when you root it and add voodoo sound, it sound really really good. When Samsung made the galaxy s2, the only area where they cut cost was in the sound chip. Developers didn't even bother to make a voodoo sound kernel for it.

The Galaxy S3 will use the wolfson DAC once again, and people argue that it should sound better than Beats audio since Beat's is nothing more than a software enhancement that has automatic presets depending on the type of music is plays.

Yep, definitely a software enhancement, but it helps. Didn't know about that Wolfson DAC though. Very good to know that it's back in the S3. Didn't like listening to music with the S2 at all.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think this needs more attention. The Galaxy S 3 uses only 437mb of RAM which makes it less resource intensive than Sense 4.0, which makes your assumption about how the phone needs 2 gigs of ram to run as smooth as the One X completely false. As seen in videos the international version runs smoother than the One X.

Do you have anymore nonsense you want to spew out of your mouth sir jburkco?

That's because the International version of the S3 is different in that Snapdragon processors are running on the canadian version of the S3, 2 Gig of RAM is required.

The International version of the S3 is on the Exynos processor, clearly a more efficient one than the Tegra. So you are not wrong there. That line focused on Jburkco was uncalled for, that said.

Samsung Galaxy S3 with Qualcomm

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-pounds-htc-one-x-into-benchmark-dust-50008054/

Last edited:

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That's because the International version of the S3 is different in that Snapdragon processors are running on the canadian version of the S3, 2 Gig of RAM is required.

The International version of the S3 is on the Exynos processor, clearly a more efficient one than the Tegra. So you are not wrong there. That line focused on Jburkco was uncalled for, that said.

Samsung Galaxy S3 with Qualcomm

Samsung Galaxy S3 pounds HTC One X into benchmark dust | CNET UK

Wrong, that link I posted was for a Sprint press release with the domestic version of the GS3 running the S4 processor and 2 gigs of ram.

Here is the link again if you missed it the first time, see post #24 in that link.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...sprint-event-showing-off-gs3.html#post1850680

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just saying that current games or apps that are on the Galaxy S and S 2 play store should be portable to the S 3. There should be no changing of code in regards to the main menu button. So, you are right to say it's the apps.

In my understanding even apps that do not overtly accommodate a menu button like the Galaxy S family does, do have some form of mapping that fits in perfectly, meaning Samsung has got that figured out.

The thing is ICS was created with onscreen buttons exclusively, as designed by Google. HTC's implementation was to use capacitive buttons to do the same. Samsung however designed the S3's buttons even before ICS was released, so they aren't really at fault. It could have been solved by good manufacturer and Google developer communication.

It most likely requires a little more work on the part of the developers to continue adapting their control schemes to support the S3, and that is a byproduct of Android being open source.

Considering that Samsung had ICS source before any other manufacturer they knew about the button changes before any other manufacturer. So please explain how HTC could do it right and not Samsung if Samsung knew about it longer.

Google's guidelines call for on screen or capacitive buttons, but not a menu button. HTC got this right, not Samsung.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Who got it right? That can not be said. We will have to wait until the full tilt boogie has been released by the market of quarterly measurings....Samsung does have a better foot hold, despite pentile....

rico college

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Also don't forget the reason behind shipping the S4 version of the GS3 with 2GB of RAM is because TouchWiz 5 uses a good majority of it compared to the international 1GB QuadCore versions. You won't notice any performance increase and really won't have any spare RAM waiting to be utilized because of this.

Also, comparing device support of HTC vs Samsung is hilarious.

Reports from members at the sprint launch event who handled the 2g ram American version have stated this is not true at all. There was over 1.2 gbs of avalible ram after TouchWiz and what ever else they had running on the demo units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid