LG G2 with custom ROM vs Moto X 2014?

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for some hands on feedback for this comparison. I'm going back to a smaller phone from my note 4. After handling an S4, iPhone 6, and HTC 526, I believe I have found a range I feel comfortable using one handed. I would rather not go all the way down to a 4.7" screen, and it seems the Moto x 2nd gen, and the lg g2 are only a fraction bigger than other 4.7" phones because of smaller bezels. The S4 is still an option, but I feel I can get a little newer without loosing the one hand option. I also am wondering if the LG and Moto X 2nd gen are close enough to the previously mentioned to still be comfortable one handed.

When considering one handed use, people have different explanations of what that means. Technically I use my note 4 one handed fairly often, but It isn't enjoyable that way. It strains my hand, and doesn't feel comfortable. What I realized is that it isn't necessarily the size of the screen, but the location of it. The two elements to be one handed is reaching the left side with your thumb easily/semi easily, and reaching the top left fairly easily. What I noticed is that the iPhone 6 screen is only 4.7, but the bottom bezel places the top left the same from your thumb as the S4 with a bigger screen once in the hand. This made me wonder if i can find a phone within a mm or two of the S4, but newer and potentially a bigger screen. Thus the comparison of LG and Moto. The LG and Moto are just a tad bigger than an S4, and have newer specs. And even though the LG G2 is a little smaller than the Moto X 2nd Gen, the moto screen is a little lower on the phone, so technically the top left is closer to your thumb than the G2. It may sound crazy to get so technical, but I want the biggest I can comfortably handle one handed. I know we have a back button at the bottom, but many mobile sites and apps have the menu button at the top left. I don't want to leave potential on the table because I was looking at the wrong specs to call it one handed compatible(only screen size).

With all of that being said, who has handled both and what do you think of them? I really like the idea of a stock android, and hear the moto x is a very smooth phone(big deal to me). There is nothing more annoying than buying a quality phone, and it stutter like a cheap one. I also am told the LG is good, especially with a custom Rom (which I've done a lot of before, so I'm ok with doing it). Also, right now I can get an LG G2 for almost half the price of the Moto X 2nd gen. That's why I was wondering if the moto x was worth the difference, if you are comparing it to a custom rom G2.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A G2 with a custom ROM is an excellent phone... It's basically a Nexus 5 without any of the Nexus 5's weaknesses. The g2 has a good screen, good camera, good battery life... If you can get a good deal on it and it's in good condition, go for it.

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I decided to do just that. I found one that was like new, barely used, for 99 free shipping on ebay. I look forward to trying out CM 13 on it. Do you have a recommendation for a Rom that is marshmallow? Or should I stay with lollipop?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I decided to do just that. I found one that was like new, barely used, for 99 free shipping on ebay. I look forward to trying out CM 13 on it. Do you have a recommendation for a Rom that is marshmallow? Or should I stay with lollipop?

What model did you get? What ROMs are available is highly dependent on that....

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Taking a peek, there isn't much out there for that model.... CM13 looks to be your best bet at this point. I'd read up about getting a custom ROM on that thing. Verizon phones are notoriously tricky to root/flash custom ROMs/kernels, etc. But if you've gone through all that and are comfortable with it, I really would suggest you just go with CM at this point. It appears to be the one that's actually in active development. And it'll be a hell of a lot nicer than the stock software. The Optimus UI on the G2 was pretty rough.

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you have do anything other than root and flash? The last time I flashed custom stuff was on a droid x2.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you have do anything other than root and flash?

Well, once you get a custom recovery loaded, yeah.. but the G2 had a locked bootloader I think that they kind of brute-force unlocked. Go look through the forums here and do a little bit of reading first.

I know it can be done... there wouldn't be a CM13 build for the model, obviously. But as I don't personally have a G2, I can't tell you how easy it is to get through all the roadblocks.

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
That's fine. I'll figure it out. I was made to believe it shared the same boot loader as Samsung, so it was unlocked. Oh well. I've been out of this side of things for quiet a while. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy