LG G4: A Concise Review After Five Days (Model H815)

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon or when Verizon sells this, I probably will exchange the model.

I knew a quick charger was available, but I was referring to what came in the box. It are the additional costs that can be irritating.

The G3/G4 showdown, to me, is too close a call for me, if I was the consumer. Albeit I had issues with the G3, but if reliability never came into question, I'd have a difficult time justifying a 3 to 4 upgrade.

NEW FACT: Last night I fell asleep and forgot to charge my phones. This is what I woke up to -

Turbo: 66% battery remaining
LG G4: 96% battery remaining

11 hours of stand-by and with both phones at 100% the G4 only dropped 4%. I'm very impressed.

Posted via the Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

I knew a quick charger was available, but I was referring to what came in the box. It are the additional costs that can be irritating.

The G3/G4 showdown, to me, is too close a call for me, if I was the consumer. Albeit I had issues with the G3, but if reliability never came into question, I'd have a difficult time justifying a 3 to 4 upgrade.

NEW FACT: Last night I fell asleep and forgot to charge my phones. This is what I woke up to -

11 hours of stand-by and with both phones at 100% the G4 only dropped 4%. I'm very impressed.

Did you ever get that with your g3?

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is the third instance where i've seen people mention the standby time, especially at night.

this really EXCITES me because that's one thing i loved about iPhones.. going to sleep with it not plugged in and waking up to it only losing a few % points..

Can't wait till my G4 comes in

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't substantiate the durability of the G4, but in comparison to the Turbo, I feel the design is more fragile than the Turbo. If the propensity of you dropping the phone or in some other way breaching its integrity, a case may be very much worthwhile. I'm a desk jockey so I've never used a protective case.

The heavy weight doesn't help at all either, I feel like it would drop faster than other phones and hit the ground harder, definitely breaking something haha.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Funny. I just made a note that my G4 dropped 4% overnight with about 6 apps running and my game play was still paused at the same spot.

This phone is awesome. My G3 would've lost a bit more and reset the game.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The heavy weight doesn't help at all either, I feel like it would drop faster than other phones and hit the ground harder, definitely breaking something haha.

The ballistic nylon design actually makes the hand/phone grip pretty solid. There isn't anything that worries me about dropping it because of the gnarly rear. It is indeed heavier.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever get that with your g3?

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8 till my LG g4 comes in.

No, not results this impressive. The G3 did go through more juice than the G4. I'd say the 3/4 difference is pretty significant.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Btw I have the DROID Turbo fast charger, i'll try mine out on my G4 and let everyone know

Just remember the SIM cards are different in size. I was going to take my Turbo SIM and put it in the G4, but the Turbo uses the smaller SIM.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It is an incredible device isn't it? Having the LG G3 already then getting this my worries were killed off when I saw how well LG did with the G4 and retained or improved in many areas.

I'm currently running mine on the AT&T Go Phone pre paid plan and after spending the last 10 years on Sprint its been a nice experience having a solid network with a new phone to boot.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
LG has implemented standby better than anyone else since I've had my G3! Don't understand why others can't do the same.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Just remember the SIM cards are different in size. I was going to take my Turbo SIM and put it in the G4, but the Turbo uses the smaller SIM.

Someone here carefully positioned the nano Sim and it worked in the g4. But a high quality adapter is the way to go. And new micro Sim best.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
LG has implemented standby better than anyone else since I've had my G3! Don't understand why others can't do the same.

I think that's why LG chose the 808 SoC over the 810. The 810 has received mixed reviews. The 808, in my opinion, hasn't been out long enough to judge, but I'm sure LG did their due diligence testing the 808 and 810.

I'm not savvy in programming, computer language, computer science, etc so I'm not sure how and why they went with the 808, but I assure you, energy conservation and a lag-free home screen are about as good as it gets, to today's standards.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Someone here carefully positioned the nano Sim and it worked in the g4. But a high quality adapter is the way to go. And new micro Sim best.

I'm the kind of guy that has the cable installer come to my house. I bring my laptop to computer repair facilities. I do this because I always seem to screw something up! My confidence in these things working after I personally do it is low. I thought having an education focused around engineering and physics may make me more proficient at this stuff, but nope, it didn't. So I handed the phone to the T-Mobile rep and told her to activate it and assign it a number. She struggled with the VPN settings but a more tenured associate helped her with that.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm the kind of guy that has the cable installer come to my house. I bring my laptop to computer repair facilities. I do this because I always seem to screw something up! My confidence in these things working after I personally do it is low. I thought having an education focused around engineering and physics may make me more proficient at this stuff, but nope, it didn't. So I handed the phone to the T-Mobile rep and told her to activate it and assign it a number. She struggled with the VPN settings but a more tenured associate helped her with that.

Yeah I would not use the nano sim without the adaptor and don't recommend it. But interesting someone here did it and it worked second try since it is a drawer - just slides in. You could have put in the APN info - one setting, trust me :), but better they did it.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I think that's why LG chose the 808 SoC over the 810. The 810 has received mixed reviews. The 808, in my opinion, hasn't been out long enough to judge, but I'm sure LG did their due diligence testing the 808 and 810.

I'm not savvy in programming, computer language, computer science, etc so I'm not sure how and why they went with the 808, but I assure you, energy conservation and a lag-free home screen are about as good as it gets, to today's standards.

Also the 810 is a HOT processor (kinetically :eek:).

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Close but that title goes to Sony, at least with their Xperia Z3 devices, but yes LG has also done a wonderful work.

Last edited:

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
It is an incredible device isn't it? Having the LG G3 already then getting this my worries were killed off when I saw how well LG did with the G4 and retained or improved in many areas.

I'm currently running mine on the AT&T Go Phone pre paid plan and after spending the last 10 years on Sprint its been a nice experience having a solid network with a new phone to boot.

I was impressed by the G3 and its form, a few niggles but otherwise a great device, with the G4 in many area's like the performance, battery, Screen & camera i wont be shy to say its outstanding :)

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The battery sounds great; however, a phone with a 3900 mAh battery shouldn't be compared to a phone with a 3000 mAh battery.

JMHO.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6 until the G4 arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174