LG G4 or...?

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Tons of these I know. However please bare with me.

First question is how to buy a phone out right without going to a Verizon store? I am no longer on contract and am part of that buy phone and split it into 24 payments "plan". I don't want to do that; its annoying. I get small bonus' here and there and would like to just buy the phone outright (COD) and swap my sims and use it. This is possible, right? What are the steps to do it?

I am coming from long line of HTC phones (Have Droid DNA currently). However the M9 left me feeling flat so its time to wander a bit. Brother in Law has G3 and I played with it and it seems pretty nice. Kinda clunky in the interface but over all not to shabby. Reviews here say the interface is much better than G3. NO SAMSUNG. Their radios are complete trash. I work in mills and travel in fringe areas of coverage and am not impressed with the radios on current Sammy's. I have a tablet with TouchWiz; pass. Ill skip the current expandable memory and removable battery conversation as well.

However I see battery and lag conversations popping up here. That concerns me as my phone is "slow" by current standards but its not laggy at all. However its battery is toast. I don't want to buy a beautiful phone at xxx dollars only to be taking a step back. A posting here notated that LG made a hardware change midstream and the OS doesn't line up as nicely with the new chips. If this is true is there a way to determine "old" handsets and new handsets?

I am not a power user. I use business calendar a lot so good notification prompting and screen utilization is important. I text a lot. I don't game on the phone either other than like angry birds or silly stuff like that while sitting in airports. Typically a daily use for me is 2-3 hours screen time a day. Not much. But I would like my phone to go 28-32 hours between charges.

How are the radios in fringe areas. I usually will turn of data when connection is sketchy but I need to receive my texts and calls as that is how work contacts me. If that isn't a strong suit of the phone...I guess I am stumped for the time being.

All constructive input appreciated.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: LG4 or...?

I'm about to jump from Samsung and personally waiting to see what Motorola unveils July 28th. The best way to buy full retail through Verizon is online. I've done that several times and you get free 2 day shipping. Super easy 14 day return if you don't like it. The store reps seem to only want to enroll you into the edge program so I avoid the store at all costs.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

When logged into my account I don't have full retail option online. Guess I could purchase as "guest" maybe?

EDIT: Just tried. When you are guest you end up having to pick a phone line. Just plain stupid. I don't see a way around NOT going to Verizon to buy a phone if I want a one time payment.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

When logged into my account I don't have full retail option online. Guess I could purchase as "guest" maybe?

EDIT: Just tried. When you are guest you end up having to pick a phone line. Just plain stupid. I don't see a way around NOT going to Verizon to buy a phone if I want a one time payment.
I wonder why you don't have the full retail option. I'm on the Verizon site right now. I can buy using verizon edge, 2 yr contract or Full Price. It's $549.99. The other option would be to buy from a site like Swappa. That's what I did. I picked up a used g4 for $425. It looks brand new, had all the accessories and was packaged in the original box. Plus it has a glass screen protector already perfectly installed. Just an option if you are OK with not buying new. Although you can find people selling new phones as well on there.

Sent from my LG G4

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

After my experience at Verizon's Corporate Store this week, I'm recommending that you go to Best Buy, or pick one up off Swappa. Best Buy and Amazon will cost you at least $50 more, but you won't be supporting the flunky sales reps at VZW. As for VZW online ordering, there's an option to pay full price when you select the phone. You won't see it until you select the phone, then it appears.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

After my experience at Verizon's Corporate Store this week, I'm recommending that you go to Best Buy, or pick one up off Swappa. Best Buy and Amazon will cost you at least $50 more, but you won't be supporting the flunky sales reps at VZW. As for VZW online ordering, there's an option to pay full price when you select the phone. You won't see it until you select the phone, then it appears.

Yeah I read about the dance you had to perform; you have way more patience than I do. Probably more polite than I am too. :)

Go to Best Buy. I did it yesterday. Paid full price and got $100.00 gift card.

I saw that too. BB is $50 so net gain is $50 but I also need a new router too.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

I wonder why you don't have the full retail option. I'm on the Verizon site right now. I can buy using verizon edge, 2 yr contract or Full Price. It's $549.99. The other option would be to buy from a site like Swappa. That's what I did. I picked up a used g4 for $425. It looks brand new, had all the accessories and was packaged in the original box. Plus it has a glass screen protector already perfectly installed. Just an option if you are OK with not buying new. Although you can find people selling new phones as well on there.

Sent from my LG G4

I get full price, but as I got through as "Guest" it wants me to be existing or new customer. I pick new (Hoping to just buy it out right) and it wants me to tack on a plan and I can't see any way around that.

50 is a lot to overpay for a phone but not having to mess around with random stories/processes/people is good by me. My stress level needs to say low! LOL.

eams1986

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

go to Costco and buy it would be best to see one I recommend the LG4 has good ability and responds to what you want.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I get full price, but as I got through as "Guest" it wants me to be existing or new customer. I pick new (Hoping to just buy it out right) and it wants me to tack on a plan and I can't see any way around that.

50 is a lot to overpay for a phone but not having to mess around with random stories/processes/people is good by me. My stress level needs to say low! LOL.
But when logged into your account you can't buy full price ? I logged into my account and was able to select full price and start checking out. Obviously I didn't complete the transaction but it definitely gave me the option to pay full price. Either way I would buy from swappa and save a few bucks. Buy from a reputable person and you shouldn't have any issues. I've bought and sold on there a lot over the last few years with zero issues.

Sent from my LG G4

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

But when logged into your account you can't buy full price ? I logged into my account and was able to select full price and start checking out. Obviously I didn't complete the transaction but it definitely gave me the option to pay full price. Either way I would buy from swappa and save a few bucks. Buy from a reputable person and you shouldn't have any issues. I've bought and sold on there a lot over the last few years with zero issues.

Sent from my LG G4

No sir as I have been migrated to "Edge" somehow. Doesn't bother me as I am still no contract but it "forces" me to upgrade a line or add a device. Add a device adds to my plan. *shrug*

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

No sir as I have been migrated to "Edge" somehow. Doesn't bother me as I am still no contract but it "forces" me to upgrade a line or add a device. Add a device adds to my plan. *shrug*
Verizon can be so frustrating some times. Good luck to you. The G4 is a very good phone.

Sent from my LG G4

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Oh, you're on Edge. That's the difference then. Is it the 1 or 2 year plan? I'm guessing your phone's paid for now, so you're ready to pay full price? If so, then you probably have ot ask that Edge be taken off your account. I don't know the specifics of that since I always just pay full price for the device.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Oh, you're on Edge. That's the difference then. Is it the 1 or 2 year plan? I'm guessing your phone's paid for now, so you're ready to pay full price? If so, then you probably have ot ask that Edge be taken off your account. I don't know the specifics of that since I always just pay full price for the device.

My thought (for right or wrong) is I should be able to purchase a device and just tag it to my account. I don't want monthly payments; I just want to buy the phone outright. Not sure why Verizon won't let me do it. Whether I pay it all up front (seems better for them/me) or in payments why am I forced to payments? I am not on contract at all and my current phone is almost three years old.

I was thinking I can go to BB, buy the phone at full cost (unactivated) and be handed it and take my sim from my DNA put it in the G4 and go merrily on my way. Maybe I have delusions of grandeur?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I'd check with VZW before spending any dough. Just make sure that they can turn off the monthly payments. You don't want to be doing both. Good Luck!

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

I'd check with VZW before spending any dough. Just make sure that they can turn off the monthly payments. You don't want to be doing both. Good Luck!

So even if I bought a phone from Swappa (versus BB)I would be charged monthly? I am puzzled and maybe a little lost at that statement? My thought to buy it out off of the plantation I would side step monthly payments and only make a one time payment.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

I was thinking I can go to BB, buy the phone at full cost (unactivated) and be handed it and take my sim from my DNA put it in the G4 and go merrily on my way. Maybe I have delusions of grandeur?

I did that yesterday. Walked out unactivated. It has a sim card already in it. Went to VZW's website, clicked on line I wanted it on, typed in IMEI and sim serial number and it was active.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Use the iconic portal. You can buy without logging into your account at full retail. Directions are in my signature