LG G5: tap to change usb connection message popping up without charger!

A

AC Question

Hi guys,

My new ( 2-3 months) LG G5 is starting to show some problems. It's randomly showing this message " tap to change usb connection " when it is not connected to the wall charger. In addition, there's a vibration / sound when this message pops up.. it's really annoying. I have updated to Android 7 recently but I have no idea if the two things are related.

Anyone having the same problem?

Jaberwoki

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
I just had this same issue. My original phone started doing this continuously to the point I could never unplug it unless I wanted to go nuts. I called tech support and they did a warranty exchange and sent a new phone to my arrest T-Mobile store. That store started transferring all my data but the new phone started doing the exact same thing. They ended up bringing another new G5 from the back and swapped the charging port (the part of the phone that holds the battery). After changing that out I have not had any issues. Seems like a defect in the design to me, but my phone is working fine now so...Hope that helps.

h.o.nordin

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
I tested first with my friends bottom part of the phone and the problem was gone. After cleaning my own bottom part of the phone I have now used the phone some days without problems. I cleaned the contacts of the battery also. I used a electronic cleaner spray can. If the problem come back I will by a new bottom part to the phone but so far so good.

BrockChamb

May 26, 2017
Visit site
There are two other threads on this, but try the solution that I found:

Turn off Fingerprints for locking your screen.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but hear me out or try it. I noticed that other users had noted that their system had upgraded before getting this random notification. I had tried cleaning out my USB port with air and a toothpick. And I tried different USB cables. But after a recent OS update (7.0, Android Security Patch Level March 1, 2017, Build NRD9OU, SW Version H83020f, Security software version MDF v2.09 Release 2.0) my battery life dropped dramatically and I got this error all the time, especially if nothing was plugged into the USB port. I looked to see what was using the most battery and strangely it was the Android OS, by a big margin. Android OS was not only first, but 47%! I thought back to what I had done before the upgrade. I had set a fingerprint lock for the first time. As a test, I turned off the fingerprint unlocking. Now I no longer get the phone asking to change the USB connection AND Android OS is 3rd and a much more reasonable 9%. Battery life is improved and the phone is fast like it was when I bought it!

Go figure? I don't know what the connection is other than some bug in the OS with the Fingerprint lock. I tried the other suggestions in this thread and other threads (except for restoring to factory settings). Nothing worked.

Maybe some programmer will look at this exclaim "Oh Crap, I forgot..."

Here's how to change the lock:

Settings >Lock screen > Select screen lock
-Enter your lock code (or fingerprint) as prompted
-Change to any of the other options (I selected "Pattern")

Let me know if it works.

umarkhalid888

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi
Recently i had the same problem. I get the same message again and again and my phone keeps on buzzing.
I have read all the threads. I have cleaned my charging hole/ port but still no joy. I don't have any type of security lock (Pattern or Finger print locking).
Will anyone plz help me with any solution. I have not tried using any contact cleaner. I just want to know that is this a hardware issue or software

Thanks

lexpaul

Jun 15, 2017
Visit site
I've found a temporary fix to this problem. After charging my phone, I unplug it from the wall but leave the charger connected to the phone. Once the USB icon pops up and I see it in the top left corner, only then unplug the cable from the phone. Do not swipe and set the USB cable to "charging only". Do not swipe and delete the icon, let the icon stay in the top left corner and the phone will not keep notifying me that I need to pick an option. It's not ideal, but at least it stops the beeping and the vibrating, plus the battery doesn't seem to drain left in this mode, with the icon visible in the top left corner. Hope this help. LP

Pattymac65

Sep 5, 2018
Visit site
My LG G5 just started doing this yesterday. So annoying! Cleaning the contacts didn't fix and I don't have a screen lock. So far leaving the notification sit there at least it doesn't keep buzzing. Nothing but problems since I first got this phone :-(

Ranamow

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
My LG g5 is a year and a half old and just started doing this annoying problem. I have tried everything listed here and nothing works.
I phoned LG tech support and they said this is the first they've heard of this problem and suggest I send it in for repairs for $200 bucks! Maybe LG sent out a bug to make some money!
Anyway, I just turn down notifications but the problem with that is you don't hear any text or emails.
Hope someone can figure this out!

Ranamow

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
Re: LG G5: tap to change usb connection message

Hi, the problem is the charge port. Change the bottom of the phone and problem gone.
I paid about $27.00 including taxes Canadian on Amazon, it came in 5 days and no more annoying notifications, plus, my battery is lasting longer.

DenisFB

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
I have an LG-G5 phone and had the same annoying USB pop-up and icon problem after my phone was dropped (very briefly) in shallow (salt) water on a beach, even though I immediately turned it off and removed the battery as soon as possible. I went through extensive steps to make absolutely sure there was no chance of moisture inside or out of that phone and battery pack. I air dried it many times and did much more to remove any chance of moisture. The problem persisted. After searching the internet and seeing many people pointing the finger at the connector, I also cleaned the charging connector with spray air and toothpicks to remove any chance of debris. No joy. I finally realized that the salt water might have left a conductive film or some contaminant on the charging connector, or the blade connector inside the phone where the battery pack connects to the electronics inside the phone. The signals on that connector must be extremely high impedance, so it wouldn't take much contamination to give a false signal as though the connector was plugged into a computer. I used quick drying electronics cleaning spray (see attached photo). I sprayed it into the exterior charging connector port to make sure it dissolved any possible film that might be on the contacts. I also sprayed it on the contacts on the edge card connector between the plug-in battery pack and the contacts on the circuit board. I didn't go any further into the phone. I made sure to use enough to wash off the connector well, and let it drip out into the sink as I sprayed it onto those connectors. That spray dries extremely fast. I left the phone open a few minutes even though the spray dried within seconds. I put it back together and the problem is completely gone! If you try this, make sure to use spray cleaner that is meant to clean circuit boards and which won't leave any film or contamination. Also make sure you've removed the battery and that the phone is off. Make sure it is very dry before turning it on again, so using a quick drying cleaner like in the photo will help speed up the process.

elect cleaner.jpg

mlbuck

Oct 17, 2019
Visit site
I have the identical situation which has partnered with my phone no longer accepting a charge until battery is completely dead. I’ve cleaned the port and it made zero difference. I just got off the phone with a local cell repair service and they told me that the port is connected to the motherboard and will cost about $250.00 because it’s one piece. I have just removed my fingerprint option, hoping it will help in some way.
Feeling helpless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad