LG V20 and Removable Batteries

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I love being able to pull battery if phone freezes. My spare battery also takes up much less room in my pocket than one of those power packs folks carry.

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I just switched to my extra battery (charged in my cradle) after the battery got down to 10%. Now my phone is back to 100%. I like this feature so much that I decided to buy a third battery since I get a 50% discount on accessories due to my job. For $20 (and free shipping), I now have peace of mind for the next 26 months (what's left on my plan) because I know that these batteries will eventually lose its ability to last hours and hours like I need it to.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I would choose waterproof over battery flexibility, which the G6 apparently chose. Especially since I live near the water, always at the pool, boating, random rain showers.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Nope you're not alone.

I am on a V10 and LOVE the power options at my disposal. Removable battery AND wireless charging. Its not USB-C, but at least it is fast charging with a 9V USB port... which is OK by me.

LG messed up the V20. They should have made available a wireless charging case back like the V10. Who cares if its plastic.

Samsung messed up after the GS5... should have kept the removable battery and water splash + dust resistance.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
With that said, I do pull the back cover and pull the battery about once a week or so just to kind of reset things. I do like that aspect.

Much easier to deal with occasional glitch, just pull battery. One downside is can't be waterproof. Unless there is way I am unaware of.

I love being able to pull battery if phone freezes. My spare battery also takes up much less room in my pocket than one of those power packs folks carry.

What you guys are describing is actually a disadvantage to a removable battery, especially if you have a case on. On phone with a sealed battery, you just hold the power button down until the phone reboots. This is much quicker than pulling off your case, taking off your back cover, pulling the battery, putting the cover back on, then putting your case back on.

I love the removable battery, but I hate that we can't do a hard reset. It's inconvenient.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What you guys ate describing is actually a disadvantage to a removable battery, especially if you have a case on. On phone with a sealed battery, you just hold the power button down until the phone reboots. This is much quicker than pulling off your case, taking off your back cover, pulling the battery, putting the cover back on, then putting your case back on.

I love the removable battery, but I hate that we can't do a hard reset. It's inconvenient.
We have that same feature (pwr-vol dwn) PLUS the ability to pull battery!

Still I don't understand why LG doesn't offer a plastic wireless charging back. Maybe they didn't sell enough V20 or want the feature to pull people to the V30 w wireless charging.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Still I don't understand why LG doesn't offer a plastic wireless charging back. Maybe they didn't sell enough V20 or want the feature to pull people to the V30 w wireless charging.

THANK YOU! I did not realize we had that feature! Ever since I switched from the Nexus 5 to the G3, I have been missing that hard reset function. Just tested now and I'm very happy to learn it's doable on the V20.

And I don't understand how LG markets either. Both the G3 and G4 were wireless charging capable, but you had to jump through hoops to make it happen. The V20 should have had an option for a wireless back, but LG doesn't seem to care. There was a rumor at one point that there was going to be an OEM wireless charging back, but I guess that never happened.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

THANK YOU! I did not realize we had that feature! Ever since I switched from the Nexus 5 to the G3, I have been missing that hard reset function. Just tested now and I'm very happy to learn it's doable on the V20.

And I don't understand how LG markets either. Both the G3 and G4 were wireless charging capable, but you had to jump through hoops to make it happen. The V20 should have had an option for a wireless back, but LG doesn't seem to care. There was a rumor at one point that there was going to be an OEM wireless charging back, but I guess that never happened.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
@marcus, that's all well and good on theory but when my S7 locked up into after Nougat update I pushed that darn button till my finger turned blue and the thing just didn't shut down.... Eventually, after several hours I was able to kick into Odin mode...

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
@marcus, that's all well and good on theory but when my S7 locked up into after Nougat update I pushed that darn button till my finger turned blue and the thing just didn't shut down.... Eventually, after several hours I was able to kick into Odin mode...
Never had a problem with a hard reset with a Nexus phone. ^_^ been with LG since the G3.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You're definitely not alone, but the group is diminishing. Still holding out hope for the V30 to have removable.

Infiniti14

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Just spent a few days at Disney Land with my family and carried my spare V20 battery around for quick swaps. Was really useful as I took a ton of videos and pictures and never had to hang out at an outlet to charge.

Also, just snagged a new battery for my wife's 2 year old G4 as the stock battery was starting to go...cost $18 bucks and now she has a stock LG battery in her purse for emergencies.

It's not a requirement for me but in certain situations, like above, it's a great feature.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
One, that mod that adds wireless charging is not ideal for most people. Built in wireless charging is what we want, not some bulky mod that takes over your charging/data port and has to stick out and has to be tucked into a case. It's a band-aid and not a very good one.

Two, you really just don't understand wireless charging, do you? Wireless charging isn't meant to be fast. It's meant to convenient. You aren't meant to leave your phone on a wireless charger for hours to get a 100% charge (unless you're charging over night). If every time I set my phone down and it started slowly charging, I don't need to swap batteries because my battery stays topped off because of constantly draining and all I did was set my phone on my desk.

If every time you stopped using your phone, it started charging, then you aren't worrying about having to plug in or swap a battery out.

See the thing is when your battery is low, you HAVE to wait and take a break from using it. Trade off isn't worth it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just spent a few days at Disney Land with my family and carried my spare V20 battery around for quick swaps. Was really useful as I took a ton of videos and pictures and never had to hang out at an outlet to charge.

Also, just snagged a new battery for my wife's 2 year old G4 as the stock battery was starting to go...cost $18 bucks and now she has a stock LG battery in her purse for emergencies.

It's not a requirement for me but in certain situations, like above, it's a great feature.

Exactly, for long and extensive use this is very useful and convenient. And also overtime when you decide to keep the device for many years, you can change the battery when it deteriorates!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The G6 has wireless charging so people can go with that. Leave the V30 with removable battery!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What you guys are describing is actually a disadvantage to a removable battery, especially if you have a case on. On phone with a sealed battery, you just hold the power button down until the phone reboots. This is much quicker than pulling off your case, taking off your back cover, pulling the battery, putting the cover back on, then putting your case back on.

What if everything locks up or the phone starts acting weird. Or the phone gets super hot and is about to explode like the Note? With a quick battery pull that would be a simple task. I have a TPU case so removing the case is super easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssiinnoojjandriod