LG's IPS "Quantum" or Samsung's SAMOLED?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Is having a percentage of the color gamut synonymous with being accurate though? I don't think AnandTech mentioned any of the modes when they did their tests. Either way, the "saturated" Adapt Display still has better colors than those of other displays. I certainly don't see a tint to the whites like I can on the G3, N6, Moto X and M8/9.

Yeah, the screen being calibrated exactly to the sRGB color gamut means its accurate.

And I agree that the adaptive display mode looks better than basic or AMOLED photo, which is why when people say they want accurate displays, I believe they dont really know what that means. People really want more saturated, punchier displays.

Sent from my SM-G920I

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the screen being calibrated exactly to the sRGB color gamut means its accurate.

And I agree that the adaptive display mode looks better than basic or AMOLED photo, which is why when people say they want accurate displays, I believe they dont really know what that means. People really want more saturated, punchier displays.

Sent from my SM-G920I

Not everyone.

I've spent good money on my 2 home theaters having both professionaly calibrated, and neither look punchier... Nor do I want them to.

The people who want this have never taken their displays off torch mode and that's what they think all displays are supposed to look like. I have found that once a person actually knows what a calibrated display is supposed to look like, most won't go back to over saturated cartoonish colors again... Because it looks life like...and depending on the quality of the display and source material quality can still be vivid with stunning colors....

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
People really want more saturated, punchier displays.

That's my opinion as well. There's really nothing stopping these OEMs from making the colors pretty damn close to 100% accurate... some displays are more capable than others of doing it across the board, but for the most part, the better displays should be able to reproduce.

But I just don't see that as a huge need. Now, I can see some people wanting 100% color accuracy.... maybe you are a graphic designer or someone developing a mobile app related to GFX or something... so you'll want a perfect representation. But even in those cases, I would expect they would be doing the bulk of their work on professionally calibrated monitors. The general public? Colors are spices for our eyes. We gravitate to the richer reds, cooler blues, brighter yellows. Real life can be dull and drab so we like to turn things up a notch or two. Photographs in magazines and online are often processed to burp up the colors a bit. A model's lips are made a bit more red, eyes a bit more blue.... Movies are altered, TV shows... most everything we see on a screen has been touched in some way for effect.

So I am not going to dispariage a phone because they choose to calibrate the thing to be a bit zesty.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
People really want more saturated, punchier displays.

That's my opinion as well. There's really nothing stopping these OEMs from making the colors pretty damn close to 100% accurate... some displays are more capable than others of doing it across the board, but for the most part, the better displays should be able to reproduce.

But I just don't see that as a huge need. Now, I can see some people wanting 100% color accuracy.... maybe you are a graphic designer or someone developing a mobile app related to GFX or something... so you'll want a perfect representation. But even in those cases, I would expect they would be doing the bulk of their work on professionally calibrated monitors. The general public? Colors are spices for our eyes. We gravitate to the richer reds, cooler blues, brighter yellows. Real life can be dull and drab so we like to turn things up a notch or two. Photographs in magazines and online are often processed to burp up the colors a bit. A model's lips are made a bit more red, eyes a bit more blue.... Movies are altered, TV shows... most everything we see on a screen has been touched in some way for effect.

So I am not going to dispariage a phone because they choose to calibrate the thing to be a bit zesty.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've always found the G3 to be dull and lower brightness than even the G2. It it absolutely obliterated by the S6 Edge screen in my opinion when I compared side by side. I hope the G4 makes up for this as it is supposed to do.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone.

I've spent good money on my 2 home theaters having both professionaly calibrated, and neither look punchier... Nor do I want them to.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

You paid to have your TV calibrated with the options in the Settings Menu?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my SM-G920I
I don't know. I wouldn't say the iPhone 6+ display is oversaturated. And that's probably my favorite display. I'm not sure how else you would describe the Note 4 or S6 display though, because they definitely are more "accurate" than displays like the Nexus 6 or G3. The whites are actually white instead of yellow for example. And the G4 definitely looks more saturated than the iPhone 6+ or S6 in the example pic someone posted earlier in this thread. The G4's looks like a bit much to me, but like I've said, I want to see what the whites look like, since most of what the content I view is predominantly that color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d