Links opening in apps without asking first

Pentagen

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Recently, links tapped on in Chrome and the Google app have sometimes (but not always) been automatically opening in apps instead of asking me what to do first.

I would rather this not happen. I have these apps installed on my phone for a reason, but sometimes it makes more sense to open the the links in a web browser or a different application.

Going into settings and setting individual apps to "Ask every time" when encountering supported links has not made a difference. Links still open in that app without me being asked first. Resetting all app preferences did not solve this problem either.

Is there any solution to this issue?

This is happening on an American Sony Xperia XZ Premium (dual SIM) running Android version 7.1.1 with the July 1, 2017 security patch (Build number 45.0.A.7.90).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you also post this question? https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...n-replace-each-other-one-tab.html#post5892852

Go into the settings for those apps and look for an option to open links within the app vs using an external browser. For example, in the Gmail app's General Settings, there's an option for "Open web links in Gmail," which means any link you tap will open using the basic browser associated with the Gmail app (and not using Chrome or whatever full browser app you use).

Pentagen

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
That's the opposite of the problem that I'm having. Links aren't opening in the apps that I'm using them in; links are opening in different apps (without asking first).

Generally, I do set applications to open external links in external apps. That's still working. The problem is, sometimes they aren't asking me which apps to open those links in, whether or not they are supposed to ask first.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh I see. So in that case, all of the apps you're using are set to open links within the app?

You could also try going to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Reset All App Preferences, and see if the phone prompts you now whenever you tap a link.