Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

emiliofm

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
What I do is to tell Llama to send me an SMS when entering and leaving my clients WIFI. That way I have the time track recorded as SMS messages (wich have the date and time) and later copy them to my LOG.

Thorby Corvin

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I just installed llama yesterday and today I found this post while curious for examples of useful tasks.

I hope I can share a cool new recipe soon but in the meantime I will share that using the Speak function is pretty cool because it makes your phone seem self-aware (like in the movie Her). I have it set to say "Ok, we're home so I'm turning on the wifi and turning off data." This is bound to save me heaps on both battery and data!

anon8164182

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Wildcard comes to mind.

rm -r /sdcard/temp/*

I don't use this line. I haven't tested it. Make sure to backup your sdcard before testing.

Sorry for the delay, but just wanted to say thanks for this, it works great now using sl4a. I couldn't get Smanager to work (couldn't find it in 'run app shortcut', I looked all over the place but couldn't find it. Anyway, it's working now.

"When the current app is not (my dashcam app) wait 10 seconds then run a shortcut (the script)". I set the delay because the dashcam app seems to take a while to close properly.

Thanks again!

acedik

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Check this out ;)

Thank you for the reply. The issue I'm having is the accuracy of the tracking. When I arrive at gym, moving around in the building leads to multiple calendar inputs. It tracks it for an hour but not the entire length of time spent at one location. I expanded the fenced area for the address but it still leads to incorrect and duplicate calendar time tracking..

Any suggestion on how to fix this issue in ifttt app or how to duplicate this in Llama?

Thanks!!

Nick Bruton

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Trying to get llama and utter working nicely, I can get llama to turn on utter when it detects my bike headset but cant get it to stop/kill utter on disconnect has anyone done anything similar

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Use this one with Llama then.

Or a quick Google search might uncover a hidden gem.

Thank you for the reply. The issue I'm having is the accuracy of the tracking. When I arrive at gym, moving around in the building leads to multiple calendar inputs. It tracks it for an hour but not the entire length of time spent at one location. I expanded the fenced area for the address but it still leads to incorrect and duplicate calendar time tracking..

Any suggestion on how to fix this issue in ifttt app or how to duplicate this in Llama?

Thanks!!

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Dropped my phone and I think it made my power button wonky, so my phone reboots on its own. Is there any way I can make Llama ask for a password before initiating a restart? What would the action be for such an event?

hetn

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I have started using Llama for more than one year. It works well, but now I have a problem:
I would like to control the usage of my mobile data using Llama. I want to switch the mobile data on if I start the navigation (Waze or Google maps), and switch it off when I close the navigation automatically.
How can I diferentiate the "Working in the background" state of the navigation and "Closed" state of the navigation using Llama?
(Android 4.3, rooted)

kurokirasama

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I have started using Llama for more than one year. It works well, but now I have a problem:
I would like to control the usage of my mobile data using Llama. I want to switch the mobile data on if I start the navigation (Waze or Google maps), and switch it off when I close the navigation automatically.
How can I diferentiate the "Working in the background" state of the navigation and "Closed" state of the navigation using Llama?
(Android 4.3, rooted)
Hi,

Your event should be like this

Condition : OR(active app waze, active app maps)
actions: turn data and gps on

Queued event:
Conditions:AND( active app waze, active app maps [here you must select "app stoped" ])
Actions: turn off data and gps

Br

Enviado desde mi C1904 mediante Tapatalk

hetn

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your quick reply, but it is not exactly what I am searching for. I try to explain:
The Waze (and Maps) is able to navigate in the background as well (only voice navigation). It means, if I close the screen or I start (f.e.) the camera application, the Waze runs in the background and says: turn right-turn left ...etc. Using your solution the Llama thinks : Navigation has been closed and the Llama switches off the mobile data. But the Waze is still in the memory and wants to navigate...
I want to turn off the mobile data when I really close the navigation using the "Exit" button.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your quick reply, but it is not exactly what I am searching for. I try to explain:
The Waze (and Maps) is able to navigate in the background as well (only voice navigation). It means, if I close the screen or I start (f.e.) the camera application, the Waze runs in the background and says: turn right-turn left ...etc. Using your solution the Llama thinks : Navigation has been closed and the Llama switches off the mobile data. But the navigation is still in the background and wants to navigate...
I want to turn off the mobile data when I really close the navigation using the "Exit" button.
There's no way you can do a one to one condition and event, you'd have to be willing to introduce at least one more manually controlled variable, so your condition looks something like:

Condition: active app Waze AND GPS on
Event: enable mobile data

(and the corresponding queued event to turn it off)

Then this event/queued sub-event would fire as you manually turn GPS on and off.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
How can I insert the "GPS on" condition you suggested? I cannot find it in the condition list

Sorry, I didn't realize that wasn't a condition Llama monitors, plus it was just an example. The "co-condition" just needs to be one that would be present while Waze is on. So it can be something like phone is charging/unplugged, BT device connected (if you wear a BT earpiece while driving, for example,) something with NFC tags, etc.

hetn

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
ok, understood. I solved my problem using the '(time)delayed switching off mobile data' method - temporary :) .
Please let me one more question:
What is the main difference between the "Queue another event" and separated 'condition-action' event?

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
ok, understood. I solved my problem using the '(time)delayed switching off mobile data' method - temporary :) .
Please let me one more question:
What is the main difference between the "Queue another event" and separated 'condition-action' event?

Queue another event creates a brand new event every time you run that action. Queued events are just like standalone, regular events except on three points (if more, someone point them out). First, queued events don't require conditions if you don't want to put any. If you don't give it any conditions, queued event's actions always run, with or without a wait. Second, queued events don't have any advanced settings that regular events do, except for the delay-and-cancel action. Took me a while to understand this but giving a queued event conditions and a wait is equivalent to setting delay with cancel in regular events. If you don't set wait time in a queued event however, the queued event never gets canceled. Third, unlike regular events, queued events run only once then disappear. So, if you don't give a queued event any wait but give it some conditions, the queued event will never be canceled and hangs around indefinitely until all its conditions are met, its actions are triggered, then the event will disappear. This variation in behaviors gives you a great flexibility (or headache) in setting up some sophisticated events in rather simple ways. Besides, you can't call a separate condition-action event from inside of another event. You can call a shortcut to another event, but if you do that, the conditions of the event that's called are all ignored and the event actions always run.

Inability of Llama to detect a process running in background seems to be a recurring problem for may people, especially with gps applications because Llama doesn't know whether gps is on either. The best I've come up so far is instead of turning gps off when an app stops or vice versa, I'd create a 'switch' that kills the app, gps, mobile data, and whatever else by a single tap. I'd figured, if you need tap tap tap to exit out of an app then gps, data, whathaveyou follow automatically, it would be as fast if not faster to tap on the kill button that takes care of everything.

buggy_droid

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Feel free to hit that 'thanks' button ;)

I remember kurokirasama writing similar things about queued events before, but it never made sense to me (the part that a queued event without wait will WAIT forever until all conditions are met) until I realize that a queued event MUST run once before being expunged. On the other hand, a queued event WITH wait gets canceled (and expunged) as soon as one of its conditions tests false, WITHOUT waiting for its wait time (hence, the same behavior as the delay-with-cancel action). It's very counter-intuitive and I wrote this here so I can find it later if I ever get confused again. I think the author of the app should change the term 'wait' to 'delay' to be consistent with regular events.

Anyways.

The kill switch idea for gps and apps is a bonus.

-clear
-detailed
-adequated
-thank you very much

tmm0f5

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Any chance someone could help me as I'm new to Llama?

I just don't know what to change in order to make this happen.

When I am at work I have spotty cell signal (and occasional wifi signal). Therefore my battery is dead within about 3 hours. However whenever I venture by a window I get text messages, etc. Is there a way to simply reduce how often my phone looks for a cell signal at work, but then keep the setting as normal when I am away from work/at home? I see that I can reduce cell polling, but it doesn't let me set a lower rate at work and a higher rate at home.

I don't want to completely disable it, because occasionally I walk by a window and get my text messages, etc.

Thank you all for your help,
tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d