Lollipop Notifications - Like or Dislike?

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So I updated my Sprint M8 last night to LP. for the most part I am liking it without any of the issues that people have been posting about lag, screen flicker, etc. However I have one thing I do dislike, the new notifications system for a few reasons:

1) Most all notifications are all white. In most cases this is ok, but my theme is dark, which is what I prefer. When looking at notifications compared to KitKat, it just seems a little out odd. Come one Google, quit messing with my Android Zen, give me the option to choose a background color for notifications if you are going to use a "cards" approach.

2) Notification on the lock screen - Again I do like them but your get the same issue as #1 above and any "sticky notifications" too. For example, I have WeatherBug and Lookout on my device. These notifications only showed up in the notification tray when unlocked. Now they show up in the locked screen. Prior to LP, they had icons that showed up in the top bar but nothing on the lock screen. This is kind of an annoyance but you only have three options for notifications on lock screens for individual applications:

Block - Which blocks ALL notifications including in the notification tray when you swipe down.
Priority - Puts the notification at the top of the list. Which is a good one in case you have quite a few.
Sensitive - Hides sensitive information on the lock screen. Which is also a good one so you don't show snipits of information in messages etc.

This needs one more option: "Hide notifications for this on the lock screen for this application". But will still show the notification on the notification tray when you swipe down in an unlocked screen.

Maybe its just me and I am not adjusting to the new design of LP, but these seem like something that Google missed the mark on this one.

Thoughts....

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The new notification handling is precisely why I'm NOT looking forward to getting the Lollipop update on my phone :(
For me it's a big DISLIKE.

TheJediGoddess

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So I updated my Sprint M8 last night to LP. for the most part I am liking it without any of the issues that people have been posting about lag, screen flicker, etc. However I have one thing I do dislike, the new notifications system for a few reasons:

1) Most all notifications are all white. In most cases this is ok, but my theme is dark, which is what I prefer. When looking at notifications compared to KitKat, it just seems a little out odd. Come one Google, quit messing with my Android Zen, give me the option to choose a background color for notifications if you are going to use a "cards" approach.

2) Notification on the lock screen - Again I do like them but your get the same issue as #1 above and any "sticky notifications" too. For example, I have WeatherBug and Lookout on my device. These notifications only showed up in the notification tray when unlocked. Now they show up in the locked screen. Prior to LP, they had icons that showed up in the top bar but nothing on the lock screen. This is kind of an annoyance but you only have three options for notifications on lock screens for individual applications:

Block - Which blocks ALL notifications including in the notification tray when you swipe down.
Priority - Puts the notification at the top of the list. Which is a good one in case you have quite a few.
Sensitive - Hides sensitive information on the lock screen. Which is also a good one so you don't show snipits of information in messages etc.

This needs one more option: "Hide notifications for this on the lock screen for this application". But will still show the notification on the notification tray when you swipe down in an unlocked screen.

Maybe its just me and I am not adjusting to the new design of LP, but these seem like something that Google missed the mark on this one.

Thoughts....

Completely agree with all you have said. I don't like the new notifications... If this is the route they are going then we need more control. My UP24 is always in the notification bar but I don't necessarily want it on my lock screen. I need notifications on to control my music from the lock screen. If I don't cut them on I can't play/pause via my Bluetooth headphones. My battery is terrible. I can only fix the glitch by factory reset per HTC. I hate that I decided to check for updates yesterday. To he double hockey sticks with Lollipoop, missing Kit Kat dreadfully!

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I hate their UI. I hate that they wouldn't automatically go away if they are received when the device is unlocked. I mean, what more can be said? Oh yes, the fact that they hang in the center of the lockscreen is annoying.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
This help a few here. If you give an app priority in the notifications setting, it becomes a black notification banner instead of the ugly new white. Try it!

Sent from my HTC One M8

Deathunter-M8

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
This help a few here. If you give an app priority in the notifications setting, it becomes a black notification banner instead of the ugly new white. Try it!

Sent from my HTC One M8
hmm, it didn't work, I set priority on Whatsapp notifications, but I just received a whatsapp message and the banner is still the same.

Does only work in the lockscreen? as when I received a message I was using M8 hence the screen was unlocked

Sent from my HTC One M8

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I quite like the new notifications. I have been using the app nils to do a similar thing so nice to have it natively. Only wish the heads up could be swiped up to get rid of it but not actually remove it like swiping left right does. Also would like to see a built-in wake screen option for when notifications come in although not sure if I'd use it

Posted via the Android Central App

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
It's a vast improvement on Kitkat.

After switching between

4.4.4/Sense 6 and GPE Lollipop for two months, I vastly prefer Lollipop style

My M8 posted this

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Dislike?! More like HATE!

Watching a movie? No problem HERES A MESSAGE... playing a game? No problem HERES A MESSAGE..

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Ah, webOS notifications, at the top of the screen, with a bit of downsizing of the rest of the screen. Those were the days. Just right. Sigh.

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Well after using Lollipop for a day or two I am getting use to the new notifications a. It. But I think Google needs to make some enhancements in this area no matter what.

Posted via my two thumbs.

salm04

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Well after using Lollipop for a day or two I am getting use to the new notifications a. It. But I think Google needs to make some enhancements in this area no matter what.

Posted via my two thumbs.

I like the new notifications but agree with the colors. If they made a way to change the theme that would be sweet. I don't use the Google Messenger because of the white theme it has

Mike Deiters

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
What I don't like about the GS5 notifications is how priority mode won't let me choose the contacts that I want to have priority access. My favorite contacts are ones that I talk to often, but I don't necessarily want to be able to be contacted in the middle of the night by one of them.

Coyote983

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm reading your posts, but I have no 'sensitive' option? I can either block all notifications on locked screen or show with content which is annoying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca