Lollipop ruined my Moto X (2014)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I would suspect that the problem is more likely related to an app on your phone that doesn't play well right now on Lollipop. I doubt a different device or even an update to 5.1 is going to change anything. Think about apps you have that are more controlling/persistent in the way they run on your phone...things that are always running, like a call blocker (for spam phone calls), a custom keyboard, a launcher, a battery monitoring app...

Uninstall them and see how she runs. You can always add them back later.

BillyBreathes

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm having all these issues as well. Along with the phone app dropping calls, browser crashing and all the google apps. Tried the factory reset, cache wipe and it's still performing poorly. I was under warranty with my carrier so I reported all my issues and asked them to repair it. If they can't do anything for me, I'll be asking for a new phone. It's a shame, never had issues before Lollipop update.

NoAck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm having similar issues with the Pure Edition after upgrading to Lollipop. The most annoying is the long delay going back to the home screen. I tried clearing the cache which didn't help. Just factory reset yesterday. Running OK, but haven't reinstalled everything yet. Monitoring to see if maybe a certain app is causing the problem.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Even a factory reset might not fix things. I'm not sure about the Moto X, but on a Nexus device you can reinstall factory images from scratch. If that doesn't work, then something is up with your phone's hardware.

dgarvey

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Its a waste of time to do a factory reset when the os your reinstalling is your problem. The Memory leak will not go away with a reset, it will seem better because it restores all your memory but the more you turn on and off your screen the less memory you'll have and the bugs will start to show. 5.1 is supposed to fix the issue. I hate screen draws on my phone but i guess I'll have to put up with this until the update. Don't blame Motorola this ones on Google. Someone mentioned it was the hardware since he sold his Moto X and purchased a Samsung g6 edge with the same version of the software and not having problems. Thats probably true, since the memory leak was corrected by the companies that skin their devices, Samsung, HTC, LG. Motorola is stock and the phones having this issue are stock, Nexus and Moto., so dont worry it's not your hardware.

CF-105

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
It truly sucks that it appears the S6 will get 5.1 before we do. The promise of quick updates was one of the reasons to get the X.

BTW, mine is a Pure and I run everything pretty well stock.

Posted via the Android Central App

Haunted_Toaster

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I cracked the screen on mine with the same issues. Had tried the suggested fixes with on temporary success. I swapped out my cracked one for another one ($125 later). Was great the first 2 weeks, but the issues have returned....can't wait for 5.1 I loved this phone on KitKat, but lollipop has made it frustrating.

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I switched from Nexus, partially due to the size of Nexus 6 and after reading article about how the Moto X may receive updates even before the Nexus.
I figured this was highly unlikely, but had no idea how slow the updates would be. My Nexus 4 receives 5.0 three months before my Moto X 2014, it's now on 5.1, fast responsive while my Moto still limps along full of bugs on 5.0.
Praying LG make the next Nexus again.

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It truly sucks that it appears the S6 will get 5.1 before we do. The promise of quick updates was one of the reasons to get the X.

Agreed 100%. I was furious when I saw the info about 5.1 being tested on the S6 while I'm still suffering with the horrible side-effects from the 5.0 memory leak. I've been wishing I never took the 5.0 update on my 2014 PE Moto X. I run mostly stock as well.

I posted about the worst issue I've seen with lollipop in another thread, but to summarize it: if I haven't rebooted my phone in a few days, its ability to multitask while in a call becomes severely limited. To add insult to injury, it will give other apps priority over the phone call, and kill the active call when I try to do "too much" while in a call.

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
When did moto x 2014 get lollipop 5.0? Mine came from motomaker with 5.0 already installed.

Posted via the Android Central App

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

Lolita Matos

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Ruined my Moto X (2014) also. The worst couple of days since update. I don't understand what they were thinking. Would love to go back to previous version. Now what???