Lollipop ruined my Moto X (2014)

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the first gen Moto X and loved it. I bought the second gen when it came out and loved it. I didn't like the larger screen at first but it's grown on me. But the Lollipop update has me wishing I had something else. I wish I could get KitKat back. That was so much better.

ATT visual voice mail crashes almost every time I use it.

Contacts crash when I use it and sometimes when the phone rings.

Google Hangouts crashes often.

When I get an incoming call about half the time the keyboard will be popped up over the "answer/reject call" slider

The totally annoying home screen lag. (Tap the home key and I look at my blank wallpaper for 5 seconds before any icons appear.)

Camera twist to open fails about 30% of the time. (Was 100% perfect on my first gen Moto X)

Phone often gets stuck on landscape orientation.

Touch less voice control on the 1st gen X was perfect. It's not as good on the 2nd gen and much worse after Lollipop.

I really hope they fix this soon.

Posted via the Android Central App

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you that the Contacts thing is not unique to Lollipop orvtge Moto X 2014. It's happening to 2013 Moto X and Droid Turbo users.

Sent from my Moto X

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
@jpoulin587 Sorry to hear of your issues with your phone.So far on mine I am not having any of those.(Moto X 2014 vzw model).
If I was I would do as mentioned above by B. Diddy and if that didn''t correct the isssue follow up with what fatboy97 mentioned.
I know a factory reset is like a last resort but sometimes it's the only way to fix issues. Good luck.
Maybe the cache partition wipe is all you need to do and that wont wipe data.

Haunted_Toaster

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Lollipop did not upgrade well on mine either. I have the Verizon version. Cache partition didn't help, but full restore did. Just sad I had to go through all of that to get it to function normal.

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Clearing the cache partition helps some, but what a pain [ language removed] that is.

I have the ATT 32gb version.

Still hoping for real fixes in the next update. Thanks for all the advice though!!

Last edited by a moderator:

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have most of the issues in this thread. Google apps crashed 2-3 time a day and over all lag. I bought my 32gb 2nd gen via the motomaker on Verizon.

I tried the cache wipe but did help. Any ideas when 5.1 will be pushed out to vzw?

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I have had zero problems with my Verizon version. That being said, I didn't get it until Lollipop was already released for it so it updated right when I turned it on. Went ahead and did a factory reset after that for good measure. I don't think a cache wipe will resolve all the issues and I doubt most people will see an improvement unless they bite the bullet and do a full factory reset. Yeah, it's a pain, but I think the people having issues would be much happier in the long run to take the few hours and set their device up again. I rarely mess with factory resets after small updates, but after a version jump it's probably a good idea, especially when that jump involves moving from dalvik to ART, etc. Just my 2¢.

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine came with 5.0 already loaded out of the box. Seems a waste to do a factory reset when it just came from the factory. But, at this point I'm going to do it and see if it fixes it. Frustrating, my 2013 moto x ran like a champ.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that kinda sucks. In figured most people having issues would have upgraded from 4.x. To come from the factory with 5.0 and have those issues would be annoying, to say the least. I hope the reset works for you.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Clearing the cache partition helps some, but what a pain [language removed] that is.

I have the ATT 32gb version.

Still hoping for real fixes in the next update. Thanks for all the advice though!!

I've done a clear cache partition several times... it gets easier every time you do it.

I guess since you think that is really hard, doing a factory reset is out of the question. I have done 2 since I owned this specific device. I have 3 files to backup prior to doing this on mine, then it's just a little time to setup everything again. I think you should do one if your device is not entirely working to the way it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

doomtuba

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I did a factory reset on mine after having some issues after updating. While annoying, it seems to have done the trick. Keeping my fingers crossed.

JohnSpogg

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I didn't like lollipop on my Nexus 4 and gave it to my wife. I bought a Moto G 2nd Gen with 4.4.4 but my device kept pestering me to upgrade to 5.0.2. I thought I'd regret it but everything is running well.

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'll do a factory reset since the cache clearing didn't do the trick. I hate redoing everything after a factory reset.

Anyone know the time table for the 5.1 update on Verizon? Is there a soak test going on for moto x 2nd gen?

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I have just finished a factory reset of my new moto x 2014. I've got the majority of my apps loaded back and we'll see if this fixes the issues with launch issues and general app closings.

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset & system cache wipe, still buggy.

Come on Motorola & Verizon push out an update! I'm close to selling this and going with another phone over this.

CF-105

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Did the factory reset on mine too, and it didn't fix all the bugs. I so wish I would gave never done the lollipop "upgrade". Before that, it was by far the best phone I had ever owned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred