Lollipop update

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
If getting OS updates to your phone keeps you up at night it seems like you'd want to be using a Nexus device so you could get updates in a manner that better meets your expectations. Most consumers just couldn't care less about that.

I have a 2012 & 2013 Nexus 7 - you can read the exact some kind of posts over on their forums. But there is greater outrage because we have Google Nexus devices and where is my update?!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2012 & 2013 Nexus 7 - you can read the exact some kind of posts over on their forums. But there is greater outrage because we have Google Nexus devices and where is my update?!

From what I've read from other Nexus 7 owners in these furums you may want to thank your lucky stars that you don't have the update.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read from other Nexus 7 owners in these furums you may want to thank your lucky stars that you don't have the update.

Actually, I sideloaded the update on my Nexus 7 early on when it first became available. I'm a retired S/W engineer and tend to screw around with my devices a lot.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You're saying you wouldn't buy the Note 4 if you knew the Lollipop update would be delayed? Really? I'd be willing to be that the number of people who considered whether they'd get the Lollipop update promptly as a factor in buying the Note 4 were somewhere between slim and none.

Typical consumers don't care. Those who do care in theory have known for a long time now that updates on Android are always erratic and just don't occur instantly. That's just what it is. I.e, if you want Android, and particularly if you're not buying Nexus, the likelihood of this happening with some carrier and some phone is fairly high.

If I wanted to run the latest update on my new Android phone, I would have bought a Nexus. Oh wait, I do own a Nexus 4 & 7. Even with those two, I still chose to buy the Note 4 knowing it had 4.4.4 on it. I just don't care about 5.0 all that much and it wasn't really all that special of an upgrade for the Nexus 4 that I have that got it. My Nexus 7 still has not got the update as of today.

4.4.4 was a solid OS and my Note 4 seems to be running extremely well on it. My first full battery charge and I'm at 4 hrs screen time with 47% battery left. I have a phone that I can actually use now as long as I want to use it. I was lucky to get an hour on the Nexus 4 even with 5.0.

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Mine works fine just like it is. If and when Lollipop is released for the Note 4, I would rather that it is stable and ready for release than be released just to appease all of us enthusiasts and be a steaming pile of...
Just sayin'.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
One thing I've learned over the past few years is never upgrade on day one. Wait a week or two or even longer and see what people have to say about that update.

On the 2012 Nexus 7 forum, there are lots of people who have regretted updating to Lolipop because it made their device lag. I have one of those 2012 Nexus 7s and it's still on Kitkat. There's no hurry in upgrading mine.

Flinthills

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
For me the ideal time to update is when I have mastered the current features.

Who knows when that will happen but I'm thinking the seasons may change once or twice.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Didn't mean to start a war just trying to make a point, if your not going to release the update on the attended dates as mentioned then shut up about it seriously.

Two things I hate in life 1. A lier, 2. A thief

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
If the performance improvements are true, I would rather get the update and deal with a few a bugs, of course that depends on what the bugs are though.

That being said, depending on how touchwiz is updated (supposedly on the GS6 it'll be close to stock) I would rather wait until that update with the new ui is ready and get that rather than get one with the old ui then have to wait until the end of the year to get one with the updated ui.

Rosesrread1

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I just read an new article stating that the Note 4 won't be getting lollipop until end of Feb. or March. The reason has something to do with Samsung Gear not being comparable with lollipop. Samsung is waiting until there's a fix for the problem. If I remember where I read the article I'll add the link tomorrow. Very disappointing. I love my Note 4 but Samsung is making a big mistake holding it up. It could be sent out and used now by those who don't need to use gear. That was my understanding of what I read. Not good...

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
No rush at all on 5.x. 4.4.4 is rock solid and very fast on the N4 and we can wait until 5 is equally tested and refined.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Gear VR is the best thing the Note 4 has. Very good they make it conform to the Gear VR.

jmho

The gear vr is a waste of money. I had one and returned it with in 3 hours. I did not buy a 800 phone so I can sit on my couch and watch a movie with a huge thing in my head. I have a 65" 3d TV for that. It is a pointless, useless waste of money.

May The note 4's be with you

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The gear vr is a waste of money. I had one and returned it with in 3 hours. I did not buy a 800 phone so I can sit on my couch and watch a movie with a huge thing in my head. I have a 65" 3d TV for that. It is a pointless, useless waste of money.

May The note 4's be with you

What is a complete gimmick to one is cool and extremely useful to someone else...kinda like the Edge display.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Didn't mean to start a war just trying to make a point, if your not going to release the update on the attended dates as mentioned then shut up about it seriously.

Two things I hate in life 1. A lier, 2. A thief

Well, but this is a good example of how the critique goes over the top. I presume you're not calling them a thief and you mean to tar them with "liar." Definition of lie: "to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive." When a snow forecast is wrong, it is not a lie. It may be incompetence, to be sure, but it is not a lie.

They may have erred in estimating release dates. Calling them a liar for that is a bit harsh.

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
If I were to promise you a thousand dollars by a certain date and you did not receive that thousand dollars by that date what would you call me
I am NOT a harsh person, but rather a person that tells it like it is whether people like it or not

DL1991

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Isn't it up to the carriers as to when a release hits their phones?? All of them tweak it a bit before pushing it to their customers so even if Samsung released it today it doesn't mean you would get it now.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz