Looks like no MST

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Not having MST on the watch is a big step back from the Gear S3 in my opinion, making me want to hold on my my trusty classic longer than I thought I would.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Was looking forward to this thing since it was rumored and a lack of MST is depressing and most likely deal breaking. Can't even get the 46mm in black. Smartthings integration and Bixby (S-Voice is garbage) seemed very intriguing though. Sticking with the S3 for a while longer, I guess.

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Isn't MST a Samsung thing? Why and the heck would they leave it out of their new watch? Ridiculous. Looks like I may have to grab me a Gear S3 then.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it's stupid that it doesn't have it either. I'm wondering if it's that they couldn't put it in the smaller one and so they decided to make them otherwise equal. The Gear Sport didn't have MST either if I'm remembering correctly. I also wonder if it has anything to do with the waterproofing. Like if it's more difficult or something, because they haven't had MST since stepping up to 5atm waterproofing. My last theory is that they had data that showed it wasn't used much. The US is probably the only big market that needs MST. I know I find MST highly useful, but I can probably make it without it since my phone still has it. Sometimes I end up using my phone even when I have my watch on just because I already have my phone in my hand anyway. I'm disappointed but I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker or not.

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the US, so I end up using my watch almost everywhere I can for the convenience and the rewards points, and on most of the terminals they're either outdated or I wouldn't know where to position the watch to try and use the NFC. At least with MST I always know where to put the watch for it to be able to work around 90% of the time. I'll wait until the watch comes out so I can see some real world reviews but it's not looking promising.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the S3 and use Samsung Pay everywhere. With no MST support, does this mean it'll essentially only work where Android Pay works now? If so, that pretty much sucks.

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the S3 and use Samsung Pay everywhere. With no MST support, does this mean it'll essentially only work where Android Pay works now? If so, that pretty much sucks.

That is correct. I will be grabbing myself a new Gear S3 very soon. That's the one thing I loved the most about the Samsung watches. Now they are omitting it? Ridiculous.

jgreg02

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
i have observed that most of the readers which accept chips also read NFC. The coil for wireless charging is also used for MST. I have read of some conflicts where having Samsung pay enabled killed wireless charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63