Maps navigation - no audio?

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I recently noticed a problem with the bluetooth on my phone. I normally have bluetooth on and paired with my Ford Taurus so I can use hands free calling. When I listen to the radio with the setting activated to play google maps navigation audio through the phone there is no sound. When I play bluetooth music the navigation directions are heard through the car speakers even when the navigation is set to play through the phone. I have toggled that setting, reboot the phone, repaired bluetooth, uninstalled(disabled) and reinstalled maps and I still get no navigation audio through the phone when the bluetooth is on and radio is playing.
It worked properly until about a few days ago. It could be that the last update on my 4a5g screwed it up. Any suggestions?

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
You've done all the debugging steps I can think of. I prefer the same settings as you, but haven't used navigation in a while. I'll try to test my setup and post back here if I find anything.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you try it in Safe Mode? Maps should still work in Safe Mode -- if it does work normally, then some other app you installed is probably interfering.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think I got it fixed. I had been playing Amazon music prior to this problem. So while I was playing Amazon Music, I switched from car speakers to phone speakers a couple of times. I then checked Maps and noticed that it was now working correctly. Apparently Amazon Music got stuck on Bluetooth and that affected Google Maps.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have concluded that the last update for my Pixel 4a5g broke my google maps and other actions on my phone. The setting of "Play Voice over Bluetooth" setting is now useless in google maps as it does nothing. Once I connect to bluetooth in my 2020 Ford Escape, I can no longer hear the navigation instructions on my phone while listening to the radio even though the "Play Voice over Bluetooth" setting is disabled. It seems like the bluetooth connection mutes the entire phone since it also mutes the touch sounds that I have activated in phone settings. When I change Amazon Music while playing a song to play over phone speakers it changes google maps to play voice over the phone also but it is broken again when setting up another route.
I guess I will disable bluetooth and use my phone as I used to even though the law says to use hands free calling. i use google maps for work as I need to setup a route with about 8-10 stops daily in another car that works the same way as my personal car. My wife's Pixel 3axl has the same update and is also broken just like mine.
I assume google has a big picture in ruining their bluetooth, when it used to work great or maybe just incompetence.
It seems googles ideal is if it isn't broke they didn't update it.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Google Maps broken with last Androi 12 update

I have concluded that the last update for my Pixel 4a5g broke my google maps and other actions on my phone. The setting of "Play Voice over Bluetooth" setting is now useless in google maps as it does nothing. Once I connect to bluetooth in my 2020 Ford Escape, I can no longer hear the navigation instructions on my phone while listening to the radio even though the "Play Voice over Bluetooth" setting is disabled. It seems like the bluetooth connection mutes the entire phone since it also mutes the touch sounds that I have activated in phone settings. When I change Amazon Music while playing a song to play over phone speakers it changes google maps to play voice over the phone also but it is broken again when setting up another route.
I guess I will disable bluetooth and use my phone as I used to even though the law says to use hands free calling. i use google maps for work as I need to setup a route with about 8-10 stops daily in another car that works the same way as my personal car. My wife's Pixel 3axl has the same update and is also broken just like mine.
I assume google has a big picture in ruining their bluetooth, when it used to work great or maybe just incompetence.
It seems googles ideal is if it isn't broke they didn't update it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
[Merged duplicate threads, please don't make duplicates if you already have existing thread on the same topic]

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Already did that. Have the same issue with a couple different phones in two different vehicles. It is obviously an issue with the Dec. A12 update. Hopefully they will have a fix in the Jan. update. Are you able to attempt to use google maps voice over phone while connected to bluetooth in your car?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Already did that. Have the same issue with a couple different phones in two different vehicles. It is obviously an issue with the Dec. A12 update. Hopefully they will have a fix in the Jan. update. Are you able to attempt to use google maps voice over phone while connected to bluetooth in your car?
I havnt tried I use Google maps within the car infotainment system not AA or from phone.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I finally used navigation last week. Having same issue as imdroid, and tried all the same steps (excepting network reset; I hate re-pairing all my devices) without success. I'm also sure it's because of the Dec update. Hope Google fixes it soon.

lmdroid

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I saw on another forum that it is working on Android 13 DP1. When beta rolls around, I guess I'll try it, unless google fixes Android 12.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I was using Google nav the other day with the same issues. I wasn't driving in my own vehicle so I was able to debug. I drilled into the settings again and found "mute state" with options "muted", "alerts only" and "unmuted". Mine was set to alerts only. Changing to "unmuted" fixed it. I don't know if this is a newer setting from an update or a setting that was changed because of an update, but I'm virtually certain that it wasn't set that way earlier. Now I just have to test it in my own vehicle while connected to bluetooth.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I was using Google nav the other day with the same issues. I wasn't driving in my own vehicle so I was able to debug. I drilled into the settings again and found "mute state" with options "muted", "alerts only" and "unmuted". Mine was set to alerts only. Changing to "unmuted" fixed it. I don't know if this is a newer setting from an update or a setting that was changed because of an update, but I'm virtually certain that it wasn't set that way earlier. Now I just have to test it in my own vehicle while connected to bluetooth.
Hi swebb - did you get a chance to to try it on your own device? My wife is experiencing the same problem on her 4a5G and I did verify that the mute state settings were set to what you found worked - except it does not work for her. (I use a BT earpiece and don't sync to my car).

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I did get to use it the other day on the phone while connected to the cars' bluetooth. Voice guidance worked fine through the phone. Sorry you're still having issues.