[MEGATHREAD] What does <HTCData> etc. mean?

A

AC Question

What does this mean <HTCData><BlockCall/><Favorite>actionid:ViewContactCard</Favorite></HTCData>

<HTCData><BlockCall/><Favorite>actionid:ViewContactCard</Favorite></HTCData>

A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung A-20 with a number blocked with the &lt;HTCDATA BLOCk CALL HTCDATA message.

How do I unblock the number? Nothing I've done works. Is my Samsung really an HTC?

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Re: I have a Samsung A-20 with a number blocked with the &lt;HTCDATA BLOCk CALL HTCDATA message.

SOunds like you imported this contact from an HTC device, in the past. Try deleting the entry and set up the contact again

A

Android Central Question

<HTCData><VIPCall/></HTCData>

I found this in the "Note" section of my exhusbands contact information on my phone. I did not put the note in myself. Also it is the only note I have found in my contacts. I'm pretty sure my phone has been hacked because I am not receiving all of my phone calls or text messages from friends and family. I believe they are being monitored because my bank account has been hacked as well. Please help

A

Android Central Question

What is this code?

<HTCData><Facebook>id:/friendof:</Facebook></HTCData>

This was on my mother's contact note on her Samsung phone (model SM-G998U). We think someone put it there, someone who has malicious intent. I doubt the code is anything directly hostile, but knowing what it is would help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: What is this code?

Welcome to Android Central! I don't think it's malicious. It's probably something that carried over from an old HTC device she may have had in the past -- it might have been a code used by the HTC Contacts app to signify a contact that was also a Facebook friend. I wouldn't worry about it.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

help235

Jan 1, 2022
Visit site
I'm curious what this code is

Original post for context:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/1037119-what-code.html?_ga=GA1.2.1714182838.1640933503&passport=1641003731

I posted here yesterday about some strange code I found. I thought I had created an account and posted under it but I must have messed it up somehow.

Anyways, I know the code is not malicious in and of itself, and I understand it's likely something carried over from my mother's old phone, but I know with a fair amount of certainly that all of my family's devices have been hacked because I know the hacker and they have access to the network. I have no proof yet though. That's what I'm looking for, though, and why I'm looking at this code with any amount of interest. I am mainly just wondering what the code does exactly; if it does anything or if it's just carry over from and old phone. When my mom receives a message from this person a chat bubble pops up, it doesn't do that for anyone else, and I thought that perhaps this was the cause. Let me know if that's not the case.

Much appreciated,
help235

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

The chat bubbles appearing on one phone but not others is just due to different devices, and different settings. It doesn't mean there is anything malicious going on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The fact that "HTC" and "Facebook" are in that code are reassuring. As I previously mentioned, it most likely was some carryover from an HTC device where the user could designate a contact as a Facebook friend.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why does <HTCData></Private></HTCData> say

Welcome to Android Central! That's probably a holdover from some contact you entered into a previous HTC phone, and that got synced to your current phone. It looks like some flag that HTC used to designate that a contact was Private. Did you ever own an HTC phone before?

A

Android Central Question

What is &lt;HTCData&gt;&lt;VIPCall/&gt;&lt;/HTCData&gt; and how do i use it

Trying to find out what <HTCData><VIPCall/></HTCData> is used for and why