Messaging/user issues

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
First off, this is an issue my 70 year old Dad has had on multiple devices.

He regularly tries to send me long-winded text messages, but they don't come through, so a day or so later, he texts again to ask why I haven't answered. I explain that I haven't received any texts, and ask him to send them again, which he says he does, but still no texts. I've even asked him to press and hold the text message, select to copy then paste into WhatsApp (which he says he does), but still nothing.

He lives about 150 miles away and we only get to see each other now and then, but he has had this issue on multiple phones. He's fairly crap with technology, so chances are, he is doing something wrong. The sad thing is, he ends up getting frustrated and goes into a phone shop and usually ends up paying lots of money for the phone to be reset, or in some cases, has upgraded phones.

Anyway, he's visiting next week and I've told him (again) to not go into a phone shop looking for help as he's just getting ripped off, and that I will look at the phone for him. I'm thinking that there may be a problem with how my number is saved. I haven't changed it for a long time, but perhaps he's trying to send the long winded texts to a duplicate number so that is probably the first thing I'll look at, but can anyone suggest any other possible causes for the issue please?

He suffers with hand shakes, so many of his texts have spelling errors and are otherwise poorly formatted with full stops and no spaces, so some sentences come through as web links...which also may be part of the problem.

I'm not sure what device it is. One of his previous phones was an S4, but he has since upgraded. It's definitely Android though, but not sure what version it is running.

Any help would be appreciated :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is he able to send pictures via text? If not, then there might be a problem with his mobile data reception (since sending picture texts, group texts, and texts that exceed the 160 character SMS limit are all done by MMS, which requires mobile data). Or, his APN setting might be incorrect for his carrier.

Do you know if he can access the web using mobile data (and not wi-fi)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34