Messed up GoogleTTS.apk

bengooch7#AC

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So I used a method I found here on AC for putting Google Now on my GS3 before the Jellybean update came out and it involved replacing a couple of files in order to get it to work properly, one of which being GoogleTTS.apk. Like a fool, I didn't bother to back up the old file before putting the replacement on the device. Now that the JB update has been pushed to my phone I have tried multiple times to install it but every time it gets to a point in the recovery where it shows an error with the TTS file. My guess is it can tell it's not the original file and refuses to contenue the install process.

Is there any way to get the old file back? I tried a factory reset but that didn't get it. Is there either a way to totally reinstall the OS on the phone from scratch or is there somewhere I can just download the file and replace the modified one with?

Thanks for your help, community!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
So I used a method I found here on AC for putting Google Now on my GS3 before the Jellybean update came out and it involved replacing a couple of files in order to get it to work properly, one of which being GoogleTTS.apk. Like a fool, I didn't bother to back up the old file before putting the replacement on the device. Now that the JB update has been pushed to my phone I have tried multiple times to install it but every time it gets to a point in the recovery where it shows an error with the TTS file. My guess is it can tell it's not the original file and refuses to contenue the install process.

Is there any way to get the old file back? I tried a factory reset but that didn't get it. Is there either a way to totally reinstall the OS on the phone from scratch or is there somewhere I can just download the file and replace the modified one with?

Thanks for your help, community!

Yes there is. But if you're doing that, you might as well just load the stock jelly bean tar and not worry about the update. The procedure is the same.

Here is the Official tar file Un-Rooted and will become the official return to stock file. This will factory reset your device. This is also flashed in desktop Odin and will NOT add to your flash count.Download unzip and flash to your phone using Odin.

Official JellyBean LJ7 Return to stock/Update to JellyBean tar
Please thank sextape for his valuable contribution.

[Guide] HOW TO FLASH IN ODIN 3.07

Note: Flashing the PreRooted tar will not install install custom recovery. So after the phone reboots, go back into download mode and flash custom recovery in odin or you can flash it in mobile odin from your phone. Mobile Odin is available in the play store.

You can download CWM Recovery 6.0.1.2 HERE

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I managed to add Gmail to the home screen (which has wicked parallax scrolling, BTW! Go oldschool platformers!) And also trashed it, but again -- like much of Android, it was weird in that while the default apps stacked horizontally, when I added apps, they stacked vertically?

You should use this method to if you are rooted...

If you are Rooted and have custom recovery this is for you.

This is the Full Stock LJ7 Pre-Rooted in a zip file. You would flash these files like you would any other ROM. The Rom and firmware (radio) are 2 separate zips.
Please thank freeza in his xda rthread.

1. Download files and put them on you external or internal sdcard.
2. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik, factory Reset
3. Flash Firmware
4. Flash ROM
5. Reboot

LJ7 Full Odexed Version

LJ7 Full DeOdexed Version

LJ7 Firmware

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny