Messenger killing my battery

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
About four hours ago Facebook messenger started really killing my battery. I haven't even used it in about a week and a half and suddenly it just has gone wild. It's not using data or WiFi but in those few hours it's used 20% of my battery. I finally forced stopped it. Has anyone else seen anything like this, or have any idea what could be causing it?

Erick Garnica

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
About four hours ago Facebook messenger started really killing my battery. I haven't even used it in about a week and a half and suddenly it just has gone wild. It's not using data or WiFi but in those few hours it's used 20% of my battery. I finally forced stopped it. Has anyone else seen anything like this, or have any idea what could be causing it?

Hence why I deleted it. I only use it when I receive a messege which I download then reply and once chat is done I delete it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me today as well. I was down to 20% by the end of the day where I'd usually be around 60 and it said that Messenger was 37% of it. I haven't used it in a month and the app certainly wasn't opened by me. I did a force stop on it when I finally saw that. I'll give it one more chance tomorrow or its going in the trash (Messenger that is)

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I ended up uninstalling it at least for now. I don't think it's coincidence that a few of us had the same thing happen on the same day. It was the first time since I had my Turbo that I couldn't make it two days on a charge. I might give it a couple of days and re install and give it another chance. I used it sometimes but could certainly live without it.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Oddly, mine is still sitting where it belongs, toward the bottom of my battery usage list. It is up to date on my phone, and I used it last night and this morning. No issues.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
No issues with me. I don't use messenger a lot, but also not even showing up on my battery usage.

victrolacola

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the battery drain yesterday, but hadn't equated it with Messenger. This morning, my device was warmer than usual while on Turbo Charge. I turned the device on a half-hour later and saw 41% battery usage by Messenger...the app's uninstalled while I recharge and check whether my battery is depleting normally.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
My phone also seemed unusually warm yesterday. In the hour my phone has been off the charger today Messenger is already at the top of the list claiming 38% of the 4% battery I'm down. Time to uninstall.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the battery drain yesterday, but hadn't equated it with Messenger. This morning, my device was warmer than usual while on Turbo Charge. I turned the device on a half-hour later and saw 41% battery usage by Messenger...the app's uninstalled while I recharge and check whether my battery is depleting normally.
My battery drain is normal today with it uninstalled. I did some searching and found some complaints on other forums about sudden Messenger battery use the last few days. I'd like to keep it because I do use it from time to time, but not at the cost of the drain I experienced yesterday.

victrolacola

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Two hours later, battery's back to discharging normally.

I poked around a bit for non-Messenger alternatives to handle FB messages (as opposed to FB chat, which I practically never use). Any recommendations? I know I can use my browser bookmark in a pinch, but that method leaves much to be desired, even for the Turbo's screen.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Two hours later, battery's back to discharging normally.

I poked around a bit for non-Messenger alternatives to handle FB messages (as opposed to FB chat, which I practically never use). Any recommendations? I know I can use my browser bookmark in a pinch, but that method leaves much to be desired, even for the Turbo's screen.

That's the problem, you can't even use chat on a mobile device anymore. If you want to chat via Facebook on mobile your stuck with Messenger. I've had it for awhile now with no problems until yesterday. I have friends that I keep in touch with thru FB and it was nice to be able to use Messenger on my phone. Even though I didn't use it a lot it was a nice option to have.

Kaaji1359

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the same issue, sometimes with the Facebook app (it was at 25%+ for yesterday's battery life), and sometimes with Messenger like today.

I saw another forum and someone suggested that it seems to be a bug regarding the "In-App Sounds" feature and that it will keep the CPU awake for an extended period of time. I'm not sure if this is only a Lollipop problem or not. It was recommended to turn off the "In-App Sounds".

*EDIT: To everyone chiming in saying "I've never had Messenger on my phone, and this is why," you're not helping. Some people want Messenger and Facebook on their phone, end of story.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I dont have it so I cant look though the settings and this is pretty simple but...is there any setting for reducing the sync period? So it doesnt sync as often? Also is there a way to exit the app when your done? I know some apps if you press the back button it will kill them, has anyone tried that instead of just hitting home to X out?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I dont have it so I cant look though the settings and this is pretty simple but...is there any setting for reducing the sync period? So it doesnt sync as often? Also is there a way to exit the app when your done? I know some apps if you press the back button it will kill them, has anyone tried that instead of just hitting home to X out?

It just doesn't make any sense though. I've had the app on my phone for months. I've used it maybe 2-3 times. My phone has been rebooted plenty of times and I haven't opened or touched the app in a long time despite regularly using the FB app, then suddenly yesterday it decides to take over the battery.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
*EDIT: To everyone chiming in saying "I've never had Messenger on my phone, and this is why," you're not helping. Some people want Messenger and Facebook on their phone, end of story.

Hrmm. What if I said I think it's poor programming? I've tried it on every phone I've ever had with the same results. Messenger has been the same since release...for my wife too. I don't know the solution. This spans an epic 4G, galaxy nexus, G2, S5 and the phones I've had before them.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay