Mic cutting out mid call, seems to be a widespread issue.

mears

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
My phone is stock, no volume +. Ditto on the "clicking" sound heard on the other end after the phone goes mute. Every time it has happened, it's with the built-in mic.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had some weird issues as well. I'll be talking on the phone and my voice will start getting lower. It gets to the point the other user can't hear me and suddenly they hear high pitch. This is on LTE, 3G no problems.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trying to get the OP all riled up, but seeing as how there are boo koo (that's a scientific number) of GN's out there, and only 1 thread about it here (given that a few others potentially exist on other forums), I don't know how "widespread" the problem really is. Also, since the OP has seen the same problem on 3 different GN's (I'm sure all of which have his same collection of apps installed), it sounds to me like a app conflict related problem. Which app...who knows?

One way to check this would be to create a dummy gmail account, forward all your real gmail (and share your real calendar) to it (you can even set up the dummy account to say the email you sent from it is from your regular account), factory reset the phone, and sign in ONLY to the new dummy gmail account. The purpose of this would be to NOT download the apps that are associated with your regular gmail account. Then suffer through using the phone like this for a few days, without downloading ANY apps. My guess is that your mic problems will no longer exist. If it works, troubleshooting which app is causing problems by downloading only a few at a time would be a longer process.

This is the sacrifice we make when buying a leading edge phone with leading edge OS software. To me it's well worth it, but can at times be frustrating.

evrafter

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
When everyone says their "mic," does that mean its cutting out during calls that are on speaker? I'm changing out my gnex tomorrow because while on a 5-6 minute call, it kept sounding like the call was dropped. I had to keep asking, "Are you still there??" The person would always reply, "Well THAT was weird." She could always here me though. But no...i wasnt on speaker. Not rooted. Was on 4g in Salt Lake area. I do not have Volume+ installed.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trying to get the OP all riled up, but seeing as how there are boo koo (that's a scientific number) of GN's out there, and only 1 thread about it here (given that a few others potentially exist on other forums), I don't know how "widespread" the problem really is. Also, since the OP has seen the same problem on 3 different GN's (I'm sure all of which have his same collection of apps installed), it sounds to me like a app conflict related problem. Which app...who knows?

One way to check this would be to create a dummy gmail account, forward all your real gmail (and share your real calendar) to it (you can even set up the dummy account to say the email you sent from it is from your regular account), factory reset the phone, and sign in ONLY to the new dummy gmail account. The purpose of this would be to NOT download the apps that are associated with your regular gmail account. Then suffer through using the phone like this for a few days, without downloading ANY apps. My guess is that your mic problems will no longer exist. If it works, troubleshooting which app is causing problems by downloading only a few at a time would be a longer process.

This is the sacrifice we make when buying a leading edge phone with leading edge OS software. To me it's well worth it, but can at times be frustrating.

Every app I have installed, was installed in all of my Android Devices. When I say widespread, I mean by A Lot of users reporting this issue. Not just 3 people from an app. Rooted or not. Different ROMs. Lots of people. I just never spoke of it before till I Googled it and found threads from different places saying the same thing. No need to make a dummy account. There's obviously a problem. That's what I mean.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

TitanicusRex

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here with Bluetooth and mic primarily on 4G. Does not seem to be an issue on 3G. Other person continues to talk and I can hear them but they cannot hear me. Hang up redial call drops out after 5 min or so.

Thought it was a new Verizon feature until I found this thread.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Not the speaker. The regular mic on the phone. You speak and they can't hear you but you hear them perfect. If your returning for that reason, I wouldn't advise it. Just wouldn't want you to get another one and it happens again.

evrafter

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Not the speaker. The regular mic on the phone. You speak and they can't hear you but you hear them perfect. If your returning for that reason, I wouldn't advise it. Just wouldn't want you to get another one and it happens again.

For me, I didn't even hear THEM. Again, it was weird because it sounded silent...like when a call has ended.

Edit: I should mention, I'm also one of the unlucky ones with data connection issues. Perhaps another good reason to exchange?

Edit #2: Oh lovely....now my Market says, "Server Error."

Last edited:

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Hasn't happened to me yet and I've been using this phone for quite a few voice calls. I also have volume + installed. Also no official review I've seen has mentioned any such issues which is pretty weird. Something as serious as this should have surfaced on an official review blog / article etc.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
regardless of how many people who are out their who have this problem it is a problem. I am one of the lucky gnex owners who has no signal issues, no keyboard lag, really my phone is pretty much perfect .....but i have had three times where i was having a conversation, with a good connection, and the other person could not hear me. It hasnt really bothered me because it is infrequent based on the amount of calls ive made.....but.....now that their is a thread im gonna come out of the woodwork and say yes this is a problem.....I think that a lot of people have brushed this under the rug like me because it is not a persistent problem and is a minor annoyance about once a week.....at least for me.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Running 4.0.2 rooted and I have not had any dropped calls (on my end) or Mic issues. This actually has been the clearest and loudest (volume+) phone I have ever had

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Running 4.0.2 rooted and I have not had any dropped calls (on my end) or Mic issues. This actually has been the clearest and loudest (volume+) phone I have ever had
Its different than a dropped call....the connection on my side is crystal clear....the call is still going on...just out of the clear blue the other person cant hear you....i can still hear them. Other than the rare occasion this happens to me this the clearest best phone ive had.

Reactions: Terrigno

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Every app I have installed, was installed in all of my Android Devices. When I say widespread, I mean by A Lot of users reporting this issue. Not just 3 people from an app. Rooted or not. Different ROMs. Lots of people. I just never spoke of it before till I Googled it and found threads from different places saying the same thing. No need to make a dummy account. There's obviously a problem. That's what I mean.

I'm not suggesting that there is not a problem, just that exchanging another phone when you've already had 3 with the same problem that not everybody has, isn't going to fix it. It has to be related to a combination of ICS and the apps you have installed. I understand that you're running the same apps you've been running on a number of different phones, but I'd bet that none of those phones were running ICS. i know that creating a dummy account and resetting your phone is no fun, but if it was my phone, and I wanted to find a solution, that's what I'd do. Verizon is certainly not going to find a solution and neither will exchanging a few more phones. If 8 out of 10 people were seeing this (or even 4 out of 10), I'd say it's the phone. But right now, that doesn't seem to be the case.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this could be related to 4g or 3g. If you're experiencing this in a 4g area, you might try switching your phone to 3g only for a day to see if it still exist.

Strommer

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if this could be related to 4g or 3g. If you're experiencing this in a 4g area, you might try switching your phone to 3g only for a day to see if it still exist.

I don't think it will make any difference, as I live in a 3g only area and also have this happen ( in addition to a bunch of loud electronic noises on both ends of the call) regularly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware