Missing Voice Search Button

jacobgduncan

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I am missing the voice search button after I unrooted from Sholes 2.0.3.
Everything is fine except for now my search button only allows text...
No microphone button.

I'm sure this is an easy fix, but any help would be appreciated.

:eek:

PITTSBURGHkid83

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
Jacob any reason you unrooted? I just unrooted today back to stock I didn't feel comfortable with 2.0.3 running at 800mhz my phone would get kind of warm and I was using the profiles but I really didn't notice it to be to much faster so I went back to stock I feel safer but I would like the voice search back...

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It happened to me as well, but it wasn't immediately after unrooting, it was several weeks later. Nothing I did fixed it, and I ended up flashing back the stock ROM.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
You might try going in to settings>manage applications> and check to see if messaging is listed. If it is you can click on it and click the clear defaults option.

jacobgduncan

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, glad I am not alone, but really want to fix this.

I unrooted due to a crash my phone had today. Everything was fine with Sholes for past few days, and I noticed my phone was off and running very warm. I wasn't able to turn anything back on , so I decided to do a battery pull. This fixed it , but I was over trying to tinker with my phone. I flashed back to stock and noticed the search mike gone....
Cory, did this happen to you while rooted or when you flashed back to stock. It seems Pittsburghkid and I have the problem from flashing back to stock after bad experiences with rooting.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I must have read your posts backwards. Mine happened a few weeks after rooting, and I fixed it by flashing back to the stock system.zip file. When it happened, the Voice Search button would try to open Handcent quick compose (SMS text) and I couldn't find Voice Search anywhere in my list of apps anymore.

jacobgduncan

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the voice search app still works. Just not with the search function. I wonder if I should flash back to root and try again? Probably best to cut my losses and hope the UPDATE coming oh so soon will fix this.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I went to manage apps and it is showing .com.google.android.voicesearch the only option it gives me is to uninstall it?

I think that's what I was running into too. I tried all sorts of things before I finally gave up.

I noticed the voice search app still works. Just not with the search function. I wonder if I should flash back to root and try again? Probably best to cut my losses and hope the UPDATE coming oh so soon will fix this.

You're going to have to anyway when the update comes out, so it might as well be now. I already rooted again though, because I want to take screenshots without having to install DXTop.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I reinstalled stock 2.0.1, did a factory reset afterwards and all is now right with the world. I too was running Sholes and decided to go back to stock due to instability issues. I hope this helps.

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I had the same issue and posted about it last week. the only response was to to a hard reset but I chose a different route. I re-rooted my Droid and then followed the steps I had previously up to step 50 http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html.

I still had the old nandroid backup from the first time I rooted and restored to that. I am still rooted but back to my pre root setup and hope if/when i unroot, I will still have voice search. I'm staying rooted for now but with no ROM installed.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I guess when you get everything working exactly the way you want, would be a good time to do a Nandroid backup, before the problem happens again.

jacobgduncan

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping my root experience would be better this time. I just don't like the fact that my phone runs at almost 100 degrees anytime it pulls data. I don't think it was made to do that. Love my droid too much.
I am running stock again :) and after a factory reset, all is well. I love having a new phone again. Faster than when i was overclocking.
The only part of rooting I miss is the clean cache app.

thanks again.

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Same boat here. Tried the Sholes Updater and everything was great. But I wasnt cool with some of the chances made by being root and running a ROM. Mainly because I am not 100% sure of all the specifics, so I thought I should wait until I know more. I know the one app was all that was necessary to make it happen, but I just like knowing what the hell I am doing. LMAO Anyway, went back to stock and realized just now that my voice search wasnt working. I ended up searching for this topic and here is what fixed it for me: I went into my app list, where you can delete or force close them. There were apparently a few "leftovers" from when the phone was rooted. One was a voicesearch type named thing (sorry). I uninstalled them and restarted the phone. Now my voice search is back and works fine. Just wanted to pass that on in case anyone else needed the info.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaacmause