MMS Straight Talk Issue. CORRECT APN SETTINGS

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine says HOME in the notification panel. However, my settings are exactly what the OP shared. Yes, it is an AT&T Straight Talk Sim.

Should it say AT&T at the bottom of the lock screen and notification panel?

Posted via Android Central App

Yes, it should. Mine says AT&T in the notification drawer, and lock screen. I wouldn't be too worried about it though, just as long as everything else is working.

Posted from my Nexus 5

David Black1

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I have been reading all these posts and trying different combinations for the apn settings for my samsung galaxy exhilarate with no luck sending picture messages. I finally got it working when I turned the wifi off my phone. The phone started picking up 4G signals and my picture messages went through. Try this and see if it works, it did for me. Also, I used the apn settings that Ray K1 listed at the beginning of the thread. Let me know if this works for you

bhavinsw

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I was having same issue for my BYOP and I got below setting working fine for that.

Name ? Straight Talk
APN ? att.mvno
Proxy ? proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port ? 80
MMSC ? http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy ? 66.209.11.33
MMS Port ? 80

Alternatively there is blog saying that you can install official Straight Talk app that can do everything and program your for accordingly. Check blog.getspool.com/101/straight-talk-apn-settings-iphone-samsung-byop/ for more details about that.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I was having same issue for my BYOP and I got below setting working fine for that.

Name ? Straight Talk
APN ? att.mvno
Proxy ? proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port ? 80
MMSC ? http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy ? 66.209.11.33
MMS Port ? 80

Assuming these are current settings for our Nexus 5 to operate successfully, why is there such a difference in OP's settings???

And CINGULAR?

Posted via Android Central App

spectraman42

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Perfect, worked for my hacked Droid Razr M on ST! Thanks! However this was just for basic data access on ATT network. Hope to try it on MMS messages which hadn't worked before, but I am hopeful will work now.

Brian Quick1

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Below are the settings that I used to get cellular data (4G LTE) and MMS working correctly on two of my phones with Straight Talk.
I was using the new AT&T microsims on a Motorola Moto X and a ZTE Z998 (also called the AT&T Z998 GoPhone).

Name=Straight Talk
APN=tfdata
Proxy=not set
Port=80
Username=not set
Password=not set
Server=Not Set
MMSC= http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy = mms3.tracfone.com
MMS PORT=80
MCC=310
MNC=410
Authentication Type=PAP
APN type=default,supl,mms,hipri
APN Protocol=IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol=IPv4
Bearer= unspecified
MVNO type=None

BrianM71

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had Straight Talk for three months and haven't been able to send or receive multimedia texts. I did the same as everyone else here. I tried numerous combinations of settings. Just got it running and here's what I added to the steps:

1. Delete all existing APN settings
2. Shutdown and restarted phone prior to setting up a new APN
3. Setup using the tfdata settings

for me step 2 was critical. I tried the tfdata setting before to no avail. Seems obvious but all the other instructions I read said to delete your APN settings and then setup a new one. Nothing about rebooting in between.

Hope this helps others still having this problem.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
All I had to do was go to the ST website and put in the settings they give. No issues. Why were people having problems? That's actually 2 phones in a row with ST and put in the settings they give on the net. Maybe some people just don't follow directions very well.

diobando

May 3, 2012
Visit site
This is the way I got it to work:

I just ported my numbers yesterday from verizon to a new ATT micro SIM and MMS was not working until I did the following:

1. Go into hangouts>settings>SMS>Access Point Names and deleted all the APNs listed (there were about 6 with ATT names)
2. Go to phone settings>more...>mobile networks>Access Point Names and deleted all the existing APNs.
3. Created a new APN with the settings from ST website as follows:
NAME: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS PORT: 80

4. Press SAVE,
5. Select the Straight Talk APN
6. Back to home.
7. Reboot the phone,
8. Try to send an MMS and it worked. (I tried it with Wi-Fi on and off)

It worked from both our phones to send and receive with hangouts. Never installed any other app for SMS.

Ruby Rose

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had Straight Talk for three months and haven't been able to send or receive multimedia texts. I did the same as everyone else here. I tried numerous combinations of settings. Just got it running and here's what I added to the steps:

1. Delete all existing APN settings
2. Shutdown and restarted phone prior to setting up a new APN
3. Setup using the tfdata settings

for me step 2 was critical. I tried the tfdata setting before to no avail. Seems obvious but all the other instructions I read said to delete your APN settings and then setup a new one. Nothing about rebooting in between.

Hope this helps others still having this problem.

THIS!
Nothing was working for me and my Nexus 5 using the ST AT&T micro SIM. I tried the method detailed here as well as the APN settings used in the first post and it works perfectly now. I'm very happy now :D

GoonrGrrl

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else struggling to get data functioning on an AT&T Pantech Discover with Android 4.1? What a nightmare. It's impossible to delete the AT&T APN, although it will let me add the ST one. But it doesn't matter what settings I put in, it's still reading the AT&T APN as the default. I've tried all the settings & all the apps (ST official, APN On/Off, etc.) and I am getting nowhere. I did read on another forum that I may have to root the device (it's unlocked but not rooted), backup and then restore *both* APNs and then it might let me delete the AT&T one. That seems like a lot of rigmarole, plus I'm relatively a noob and a little scared to try to root it on my own. Has anyone here had success with that approach? Or got any other ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

There's no need to be snotty about it. Not every phone is the same or has the same settings. Glad it worked for you. I've had it working pretty easily in the past on other phones but current phone is struggling. :(

metaphysical1

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Thank you and all the wonderful people who have contributed to this discussion. I have the same problem: I am using ST on an unlocked, ATT compatible phone, the HTC One (old version). I have the micro sim card and had been sending/receiving MMS messages just fine until the update from Android 4.4.1 to 4.4.2. I, too, have spent hours and hours on the phone with HTC and ST and more hours reading all I can about this issue on various forums. I have tried various combinations of APN settings and finally thought I had found the answer when I read your post. But, alas, your suggestions did not work for me.

I looked at the post on XDA-developers about 'rooting' my phone, but I know next to little about this technology and although I am good at following directions, if those directions are not written explicitly 'enough' (as you point out in your post concerning shutting down and restarting your phone between updates to the APN settings), I may be really up the creek without a phone, if I screw up. I bought it unlocked online and have no insurance. I would surely be grateful to any of you who has another idea! In the meantime, blessings to all of you.

alpha2g1

May 31, 2014
Visit site
OMG thanks man. I downloaded Textra because someone recommenced it and after reading your suggestion I check the APN settings inside of Textra and it was using the wrong one. I updated it and my MMS is working properly. Thank you, this has been bugging the hell out of me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci