Moto X Play: Various Reviews

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: moto X play reviews

All these battery life comments is amusing. I sear every phone out has complaints about poor or even horrible battery life. Every forum for every phone regardless of the manufacturer, there's always complaints about battery life. I think with fast charging, battery life complaints are pretty useless now IMO

On a work day I don't have e access to a charger until I get home from work. Often my one m8 is at 15% or less by this point and I have to limit my use of it. Running the battery that low every day isn't good for it either so it will degrade faster. Good battery life is probably the most important feature I'm looking forward in my next phone

Posted via the Android Central App

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

So far I am liking this, for my use email, social media, shopping, you tube, notes and calendar management. I have only played a bit of temple run so far so no heavy games.

I have had zero lag, it is responsive and quick compared to my LG G4 I have not noticed a difference in my everyday use.

It feels light in the hand, the sound is good for a mono speaker but the quality is good being front facing.

Camera is good but not LG G4 standard.

I have been using it for nearly 11 hours today and battery has been good also, 4 hours 25 mins screen time and still on 34%, not bad when I have been doing lots of set up stuff.

Will be using it full time for the next few weeks at least so can ask any questions people may have.

Attachments

• 4334.jpg
    4334.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 4333.jpg
    4333.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 4244.jpg
    4244.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 50

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

So far I am liking this, for my use email, social media, shopping, you tube, notes and calendar management. I have only played a bit of temple run so far so no heavy games.

I have had zero lag, it is responsive and quick compared to my LG G4 I have not noticed a difference in my everyday use.

It feels light in the hand, the sound is good for a mono speaker but the quality is good being front facing.

Camera is good but not LG G4 standard.

I have been using it for nearly 11 hours today and battery has been good also, 4 hours 25 mins screen time and still on 34%, not bad when I have been doing lots of set up stuff.

Will be using it full time for the next few weeks at least so can ask any questions people may have.

How does it compare size wise to the G4? I owned a G3 for a bit and found it a little big coming from a nexus 5 but having now been using an m8 for over a year (which is big for the screen size) I reckon I'll get used to the larger screen this time.

Interesting you say less lag vs the G4. Just shows that these manufacturer skins need to die!

Any glaring negatives that you've spotted so far?

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X Play Reviews

I'd also be interested in audio quality when using headphones and Google play music ...

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

How does it compare size wise to the G4? I owned a G3 for a bit and found it a little big coming from a nexus 5 but having now been using an m8 for over a year (which is big for the screen size) I reckon I'll get used to the larger screen this time.

Interesting you say less lag vs the G4. Just shows that these manufacturer skins need to die!

Any glaring negatives that you've spotted so far?

No negatives so far.

It's not faster than the G4 but it is just as fast is what I meant.

Size wise similar to the LG G4 I will try to take a photo later side by side.

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

I'd also be interested in audio quality when using headphones and Google play music ...

I have not used headphones yet but Google Play music over Bluetooth in my car along with using sat nav on the phone worked great today.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

I like having the latest and greatest but the Style/Pure is too big for me, and the Play doesn't seem like an upgrade from my Turbo (other than sd), and it lacks wireless charging and the battery may not even last as long. I really wanted to look at this for my new toy but now I don't know.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Can anybody give a general experience review compared to the Droid Turbo?

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site

So day 2 and I have found a few minor negatives now, the buttons rattle and feel cheap. The fact the UK phones come with standard charger instead of fast charger is annoying but I do have plenty of fast chargers so no biggie for me but could be for others.

Performance has still been amazing still and no lag etc. Compared to my LG G4 I have seen no performance issues at all, it performs like an expensive flagship phone.

Battery today has been great, I was busy in work so didn't use it as much as I may do at other times, based on today's usage I could get through two days without charging. 3 hours screen time and over 15 hours standby with 49% battery left.

Attachments

• 4347.jpg
    4347.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 4346.jpg
    4346.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 4345.jpg
    4345.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 50

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

So day 2 and I have found a few minor negatives now, the buttons rattle and feel cheap. The fact the UK phones come with standard charger instead of fast charger is annoying but I do have plenty of fast chargers so no biggie for me but could be for others.

Performance has still been amazing still and no lag etc. Compared to my LG G4 I have seen no performance issues at all, it performs like an expensive flagship phone.

Battery today has been great, I was busy in work so didn't use it as much as I may do at other times, based on today's usage I could get through two days without charging. 3 hours screen time and over 15 hours standby with 49% battery left.

Thanks for that the but rattling buttons might annoy me as there really is no need for that as it does make any phone seem cheap, also if the phone has fast charging why on earth don't they supply a fast charger as to me that is inexcusable it really is even if they charged a few pounds more.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Last edited:

cheesiepoof

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

I have the Brazil variant XT-1563 and no rattling buttons here. Using this phone heavily for a week, I have no problems with it, but it's not blowing me away either. Big pluses for me are dual sim + SD + FM radio. Camera is **** coming from the Note 4, and so is the stock dialer. (Ok, maybe not ****, but I prefer Sammy's camera and software.)

Someone asked about headphone audio quality, yes it's perfectly fine.

Nothing on this phone is really a "wow" except for the battery. I'm getting about a day and a half of heavy usage. Overall this ain't no flagship, just a solid phone for $400. Honestly unless you are dying to have this RIGHT NOW or you need dual sim / fm radio, I would wait for the Moto X Pure Edition that's releasing in the US sometime soon. Too many things missing: gyroscope, stereo speakers, optical image stabilization, no chop twice for flashlight, 4.0 bluetooth instead of 4.1, 32 bit Android instead of 64 (ok the software feels fine but I'm wondering how future proof that will be), no Wifi ac (!!!), screen res at 1080p vs. 1440 on the Pure, 2 gigs ram vs. 3. Also if you jump carriers, the Pure supports way more LTE bands than any variant of the Play. [So far I'm aware of 3, the XT1562 for the UK, XT1563 for Canada and Mexico, and the XT1565 for Verizon with Droid branding. Each variant supports a fairly limited amount of spectrum while the Pure edition seems to have all of em.]

BTW, there's a possibility that my XT-1563 has a few slight differences from ones in Mexico or Canada... mine says Made In Brazil whereas the Mexican XT-1563 says Made In China.

Last edited:

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

This is the first time I have heard that it's 32bit Android. And you're completely right. I just checked. I don't understand why. It adds no extra cost for the OEM to load 64bit Android onto a phone so this is a really puzzling omission. Is it because 64bit Android takes up more RAM usage?

But honestly cheesiepoof, the FHD screen is one of the best aspects about this device, not sure why you want QHD. The performance would tank and the battery life would suffer greatly.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I guess its all about conprmises. Unfortunately. Droid Life did an article recently saying there is always a BUT with modern smartphone and its certainly true here.

I prefer the screen of the play, both size and resolution. And i prefer the battery size. It's cheaper too so brilliant, get that! But it has other compromises vs the style so the decision isn't easy.

I've always owned flagships and the play is the first midrange I've considered. Seems a great phone for the money but the reason I'm holding off and waiting for as many reviews and user opinions as possible is that the negatives may not mean its really worth it vs the one m8 I have right now.

Thanks for all the reviews and opinions from those with the device. Really helpful

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I think the best way to sum it up is that it feels more like a souped-up Moto G on steroids rather than a scaled back Moto X Style. It offers a lot more than the Moto G can; much better display, better GPU performance, better camera, smaller bezels, more refined design etc. but there is a larger gulf between the Moto X Style and the Moto X Play than the Moto G and the Moto X Play.

I am certainly not regretting my decision but I am not being blown away by this phone as I was hoping I would be. I wanted a phone that would completely replace my Nexus 5, but this phone acts as more of a sidegrade - noticeably better in some areas (battery, camera, speaker quality, display, SD card support, haptic feedback) and worse in others (lack of gyroscope & other sensors, not quite as smooth in the Android UI, rattly buttons).

Last edited:

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

What areas is it worse than the nexus 5? I don't use mine any more but have played around with it on 5.1.1 and it feels really fluid and snappy. I'd be back using it if the battery wasn't so terrible! Is it performance of the play vs the nexus or down to build quality or...? I guess the camera must be better and the battery at least