Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style vs. Nexus 6P

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Probably not too substantial, the MXPE seems to handle it fine.

With moto killing off some of the moto features and the 6P sensor hub picking them up the value add argument is not as straight forward as it was a year ago.

I'm also very excited for the fingerprint scanner, everyone seems to love it and I definitely think it will be convenient.

I agree with this. I always wanted a Moto X but the first one had a small screen and it was 720P. I ended up going with the Nexus 5 and said I would wait two years for a new phone and now is that time.

The fingerprint scanner would be nice. I am tired of logging into my apps. The one concern I have with the 6P is the AMOLED screen. I have not had good luck with those in the past.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this. I always wanted a Moto X but the first one had a small screen and it was 720P. I ended up going with the Nexus 5 and said I would wait two years for a new phone and now is that time.

The fingerprint scanner would be nice. I am tired of logging into my apps. The one concern I have with the 6P is the AMOLED screen. I have not had good luck with those in the past.

I tell myself it's the same screen as the note 5 and people love it there so it will be OK.

The one thing I've found that worries me handing over my moto and going back to the nexus is the radio. My nexus 5 is spotty and the moto seems to do better. I still use my phone as a phone so I appreciate a solid connection.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I tell myself it's the same screen as the note 5 and people love it there so it will be OK.

The one thing I've found that worries me handing over my moto and going back to the nexus is the radio. My nexus 5 is spotty and the moto seems to do better. I still use my phone as a phone so I appreciate a solid connection.

You just reminded me of the other reason I want to go back to Moto, the radios. Out of all the phones I have owned they get the best service.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
You just reminded me of the other reason I want to go back to Moto, the radios. Out of all the phones I have owned they get the best service.

Since both phones are expected to get Tmobile band 12 support I'm thinking I should be good.

For the next few years I expect to be with Tmo or Fi.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Since both phones are expected to get Tmobile band 12 support I'm thinking I should be good.

For the next few years I expect to be with Tmo or Fi.

Google FI is more expensive for me. I am still on the T-Mobile $70/unlimited everything plan. I hope the Moto X gets Band-12 support. I feel I should wait to get either phone until they both get certified.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I can't say this with certainty, but at least for current phones that doesn't seem to be a problem for Huawei. They are in the business of cellular networks as well, so they have experience on both sides. Also I found this article a few days back when I was searching for any info on Huawei and reception/signal strength.

Best for LTE: Galaxy S6, Huawei P8, LG G4 - AndroidAuthority

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I can't say this with certainty, but at least for current phones that doesn't seem to be a problem for Huawei. They are in the business of cellular networks as well, so they have experience on both sides. Also I found this article a few days back when I was searching for any info on Huawei and reception/signal strength.

Best for LTE: Galaxy S6, Huawei P8, LG G4 - AndroidAuthority

Yeah I haven't heard anything bad about Huawei (well besides them spying, but who knows about that). The biggest concern for me and the 6P is the AMOLED screen.

ionphonics

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
We all know the mainstream differences, so I'll spare the recap and just focus on the major differences...

I owned the Moto X 1st gen, 2nd gen, and now 3rd gen.
An android phone is an android phone unless it provides better AI(Artificial Intelligence).
But Here are the primary reasons I love the Moto X line: (which Motorola patented, and no one else has)

1) Moto Assist such as touchless wave to get notifications
2) Gestures: double twist for camera and double chop for flash light
3) Motion sensors on all 4 corners.

But I am seriously considering to switch to the Nexus 6P for the first time in 3yrs.
I too ordered the 6P BUT it must prove to be superior in ALL areas below: (otherwise, I'm staying with the X)

1) Sensor hub: Needs to wake upon touch (proves it can have AI against the X wave touchless). The blinking light is a plus.
2) Battery life: it has 450mA more, which is not huge but it is 1/6 more so that is substantial. It needs to live up to its 3450mA vs the 3000mA of X.
3) Double power button for quick camera on (to replace the double twist on the X)
4) 6P claims to have additional gestures (need to test to see what additional gestures are built in the 6P)
5) Camera: 1.5uM needs to prove it's superiority. (After all, 6P does not have front flash, which is a big negative. I didn't think the front flash was necessary until I needed to take a pic in low light condition with a dimm lit area and a background sign. My wife took a selfie with her Iphone 6(no flash) and I took a selfie with the X (with flash). The result was phenomenal, the Iphone was bright but super noisy. The X was perfect tone and balanced color, literally no noise.) In other words, the 6P needs to prove it's superiority against the X Pure at least in the no flash category(because 6P does not have front flash). Then it needs to come close against a front flash of the X.
6) Marshmellow better give better enhancements and longer battery life.

I will have to live without the double chop flash light, which is very convenience!

All in all, spec against spec is spec. Real life usage determine UI and ease of use.

In respect to looks, it's a matter of preference. I love the all metal feel but I also love the Moto maker to give the user the ability to choose.
I've chosen the wood back for the X 1st and 3rd gen, plastic for the 2nd gen, all are great.

The fingerprint sensor and LED notification light on the 6P are great additions.

That's all! Can't wait to see the Nexus 6P prove its superiority against the Moto X Pure!
All in all, price is pretty comparable so you can't go wrong with either but at this point I'm leaning on the 6P to prove itself.

Good luck!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It is all preference :) To me the Moto radios, good stereo speakers (great for a phone) and SD slot are key for the MXPE. Will be interesting to "see" a comparison of the 6P speakers. I actually prefer the display now of the MXPE over the highly rated AMOLED display on the Note 4. Color is more normal- even with vibrant setting on MXPE.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We all know the mainstream differences, so I'll spare the recap and just focus on the major differences...

I owned the Moto X 1st gen, 2nd gen, and now 3rd gen.
An android phone is an android phone unless it provides better AI(Artificial Intelligence).
But Here are the primary reasons I love the Moto X line: (which Motorola patented, and no one else has)

1) Moto Assist such as touchless wave to get notifications
2) Gestures: double twist for camera and double chop for flash light
3) Motion sensors on all 4 corners.

But I am seriously considering to switch to the Nexus 6P for the first time in 3yrs.
I too ordered the 6P BUT it must prove to be superior in ALL areas below: (otherwise, I'm staying with the X)

1) Sensor hub: Needs to wake upon touch (proves it can have AI against the X wave touchless). The blinking light is a plus.
2) Battery life: it has 450mA more, which is not huge but it is 1/6 more so that is substantial. It needs to live up to its 3450mA vs the 3000mA of X.
3) Double power button for quick camera on (to replace the double twist on the X)
4) 6P claims to have additional gestures (need to test to see what additional gestures are built in the 6P)
5) Camera: 1.5uM needs to prove it's superiority. (After all, 6P does not have front flash, which is a big negative. I didn't think the front flash was necessary until I needed to take a pic in low light condition with a dimm lit area and a background sign. My wife took a selfie with her Iphone 6(no flash) and I took a selfie with the X (with flash). The result was phenomenal, the Iphone was bright but super noisy. The X was perfect tone and balanced color, literally no noise.) In other words, the 6P needs to prove it's superiority against the X Pure at least in the no flash category(because 6P does not have front flash). Then it needs to come close against a front flash of the X.
6) Marshmellow better give better enhancements and longer battery life.

I will have to live without the double chop flash light, which is very convenience!

All in all, spec against spec is spec. Real life usage determine UI and ease of use.

In respect to looks, it's a matter of preference. I love the all metal feel but I also love the Moto maker to give the user the ability to choose.
I've chosen the wood back for the X 1st and 3rd gen, plastic for the 2nd gen, all are great.

The fingerprint sensor and LED notification light on the 6P are great additions.

That's all! Can't wait to see the Nexus 6P prove its superiority against the Moto X Pure!
All in all, price is pretty comparable so you can't go wrong with either but at this point I'm leaning on the 6P to prove itself.

Good luck!

Size may come into play for some.

Nexus 6P vs. Moto X Pure Edition

Jordan Yaeger

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Anyone trading in their XPE for a nexus 6p?

Currently I am on an aging Droid Maxx and stuck between a moto x pure and the 6p. I like the moto features and the new pure I like the idea of the sd slot but I also dont want to get screwed on updates among other stuff. Are any of you disappointed with xpe? Especially those who are previous moto owners (X, droid line etc).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone trading in their XPE for a nexus 6p?

If I didn't get the MXPE I would snag a Nexus 6P but since I did get one I don't see a huge reason to switch. Once we get Android M we will have a lot of the nice features it has :).

StrikerXL

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

I'm as happy as can be with my Moto X Style. I love the pure Android experience, but the things like Moto Display and the good bang for you buck goes to Motorola. I prefer the overall feel of the new Moto X. Secondly I had the same question as you and made the difficult decision to go for Motorola. I'm glad I made the right choice. Besides that just so you know I was iPhone user for all the previous generations, but converted to Android to trying something new with the OnePlus One. It was a different and a welcome change. Moto X is the best smartphone I have ever had the pleasure using yet!

Posted via the Android Central App

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I am not dissatisfied with my XPE. However, I am intrigued by the new Nexus phones (haven't owned one since the one). I'm waiting to see how marshmallow looks on the X before giving any serious consideration to switching.

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I am not dissatisfied with my XPE. However, I am intrigued by the new Nexus phones (haven't owned one since the one). I'm waiting to see how marshmallow looks on the X before giving any serious consideration to switching.

I am having a bit nexus envy after owning the 4 & 5. But I'm keeping this phone. The 5x is too small and I don't trust Huawei when it comes to things like a radios and GPS. Even coming from an LG this phone holds signal much better signal and locks GPS really quickly.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I ordered the 6p but just cancelled my order to get the Moto X. I'm thinking I made the right choice but idk. We'll see. I'm not a huge fan of all the logo stuff on the back of the Nexus and I don't think it'll be a huge difference in performance. Plus I used to really love Moto enhancements on my 2013 version. Going to be tough deciding on the color though.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I am having a bit nexus envy after owning the 4 & 5. But I'm keeping this phone. The 5x is too small and I don't trust Huawei when it comes to things like a radios and GPS. Even coming from an LG this phone holds signal much better signal and locks GPS really quickly.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I am glad I am not the only one that has had signal issues with the Nexus 5.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Currently I am on an aging Droid Maxx and stuck between a moto x pure and the 6p. I like the moto features and the new pure I like the idea of the sd slot but I also dont want to get screwed on updates among other stuff. Are any of you disappointed with xpe? Especially those who are previous moto owners (X, droid line etc).

I ended up going with the Moto X (it should be here Monday). The main reason is I am not a fan of AMOLED screens.

I have wanted a Moto X since the beginning but the screen was too small and it had AMOLED.