Motorola Droid X - What do you want to know?

igor.cv

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Does Droid have auto-oriented display? I switched from Pre, and there was such a possibility (after applying the patch). I mean if the phone is turned upside-down (so the hard-buttons will be on the top) will the screen take the "right" position?

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Does Droid have auto-oriented display? I switched from Pre, and there was such a possibility (after applying the patch). I mean if the phone is turned upside-down (so the hard-buttons will be on the top) will the screen take the "right" position?

Its like the Droid 1, you can only flip it two ways, however, I'm sure an update can change that if the requests are high enough.

igor.cv

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Its like the Droid 1, you can only flip it two ways, however, I'm sure an update can change that if the requests are high enough.
MolecularGraph, are you really sure about this?
it's a pitty :(
I think it's a hardware dependent feature not the software one.

and one more question - does Droid X support 2 NAMs?

Last edited:

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
MolecularGraph, are you really sure about this?
it's a pitty :(
I think it's a hardware dependent feature not the software one.

and one more question - does Droid X support 2 NAMs?

Why would that depend on the hardware? The direction-sensing mechanism (accelerometer) works in any direction, it's up to the OS (and in some case the apps) to be able to shift from portrait to landscape and back. In the case of the Droid 1 I can see why it makes sense to restrict it since you don't want someone turning it CW and having the keyboard be on the top when they go to use it, but for the Droid X why not have it work in either direction? And for Droid 1 users, why not have a setting that allows orientation the other way; I am sure there are uses for the phone that don't involve the keyboard right?

igor.cv

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
joebob2000, you're right about uses of the phone with no keyboard. But I wonder if Droid X will not have auto-screen orientation. This will be the one thing I never buy the Droid X

Japultra

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm debating on switching from my BBS2 to the X when it arrives, but can this phone do the little and simple things that are important to me?

Can I cutomize this phone to not alert me of emails and only alert me of SMS messages and phone calls? This feature is important for me because I get tons of junk emails throughout the night and I would hate to mute the entire phone completely and miss an important call or text messages when I am sleeping.

Yes you can. This is an Android feature, not a phone specific feature.

Japultra

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
To everyone speaking about the phone's rotation: I'm using Launcher Pro in place of the stock Launcher program that comes with Android and it rotates 270 degrees, so I'm fairly certain that any 3rd party home launcher can set it to have 360 degree rotation, although I'm not sure why anyone would want to hold their phone upside down.

clockvstrain

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Hope I'm not too late.

Phil, I know everyone asks, "Is this phone worth getting, or should I wait for the next/better phone?" But hear me out...

I'm on Verizon and want nothing more than to have "the next" Nexus One: a solidly-built phone that runs stock Android and will receive updates straight from Google. I know there's been announcements that there will be no "Nexus Two," but I just have this fear that I'm going to buy the Droid X and, come Christmas, miss out on that next great, "unrestricted" Android phone I've been waiting for.

You don't have to admit that you favor the Nexus One and its open-ness, but if you did, (and were still rocking a Blackberry Storm like me...) would you buy the Droid X, or wait it out a little longer?

I mean, it has to come sometime, right?

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I meant from the home screen, I don't think it orients sideways, but then again, I could be wrong, as the Droid 1 would orient the screen sideways if you pulled the keyboard out, but that was a forced orientation, so unless Motorola pulled their head out of their ass, the screen needs a force rotation.... but then desk docks wouldn't work? Idk, guys I'm giving myself a headache trying to figure this out...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174